Onzy: Track 2690 in area near Birreencorragh South Top, North Mayo (Ireland)
Three Birreencorraghs plus one
Length: 12.7km, Creator time taken: 3h33m, Ascent: 757m, Descent: 800m
Places:Start at G04203 02677, Birreencorragh South Top, Birreencorragh West Top, Birreencorragh, Knockaffertagh, end at G04567 02759 372m E from Start Logged as completed by 1
A circular route over Birreencorragh and its 2 satellite tops adding in Knockaffertagh on the return. Route modelled on Simon3's track 859, but without the ludicrous detour to the west to add in Mount Eagle!
A couple of points to note about this route:
1. There is parking available deep within Coillte land at G042 027 and G035 024. However, these are inside the gate and I was concerned about being locked in, particularly on a Friday! I found a forest worker who told me they do not lock this gate at all - I'm not giving any personal guarantees here, but that's what the man said.
2. Track 859 continues west along a forest road before climbing up the southern spur of Birreencorragh South Top. I found it better to head directly north from G035 024, up a grassy ride towards sh 336, gaining a lot of height quickly and avoiding a lot of broken ground.
3. The descent shown here is similar to that shown in track 859. It works its way down a gully through the crags and scree heaps to the floor of the valley. This is not a way I would recommend. A safer route would track east from Knockaffertagh and descent the shoulder to the east of all the scree.
4. The entry to the forest, as pointed out by Simon3 in track 859, is tricky. The ground is very soft - very beautiful too with a vibrant green mystical look. However, it is passable.
Uploaded on: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 (10:47:20) Linkback: https://mountainviews.ie/track/2690/ To download GPS tracks you must be enrolled and logged in. See "Login or enrol", top right - quick and easy.
Comment created by Peter Walker 2020-Jun-22
Point 4: The ground isn't 'very soft'...the ground 'really needs you to pause and evolve some gills' would be more accurate.
Cracking walk though.
NOTE: ALL information such as Ascent, Length and Creator time taken etc should be regarded as approximate. The creator's comments are opinions and may not be accurate or still correct.
Your time to complete will depend on your speed plus break time and your mode of transport. For walkers: Naismith's rule, an approximate though often inaccurate estimate, suggests a time of 3h 48m + time stopped for breaks
NOTE: It is up to you to ensure that your route is appropriate for you and your party to follow bearing in mind all factors such as safety, weather conditions, experience and access permission.
* Note: A GPS Height in the elevation profile is sourced from the device that recorded the track. An "SRTM" height is derived from a model of elevations for parts of the earth. More detail