Places:Start at L75022 49904, Binn Bhreac, Maumonght, An Chailleach, Muckanaght, Binn Fraoigh, Binn Bhán, Binn Dubh, Binn Bhraoin North Top, Binn Bhraoin Central Top, Binn Bhraoin, Binn Gabhar, Benglenisky, end at Start Logged as completed by 2
The route is almost the same as that given by Captain Vertigo but includes a climb of Bencollaghduff and excludes Benlettery. It took 13 hours to do the circuit but as we were also taking lots of video and photographs (and a long lunch stop!) then I would say this added at least 1-2 hours to the trip. Some notes to help hikers:
1. The forestry at the start has been clear felled and there is parking for several cars here
2. The descent from Ben Baun to Maumina is not easy and can be treacherous in bad weather (see my posting on the Benbaun page for a photograph of the route). A direct descent down the SE ridge has dangerous cliffs and rock ledges. An alternative is to walk 220m down the ridge on a bearing of 145 degrees then turn right on a bearing of 210 degrees and carefully zig-zag down the steep grassy hillside. The lower part of the descent follows a grassy gully close to the scree slopes.
3. The ascents of Benbreen and Bengower involve some grade 1 rock scrambling but nothing too hard.
4. The descent of Benbreen can be either via a zig-zag track or via a slide down the scree - the latter is probably not recommended but was the way we went!
5. The descent from Benglenisky is tiresome with numerous course changes to avoid cliffs
6. It is recommended not to try a cross the clear felled forest at the foot of Benglenisky when returning to your car but to follow the fence northwards and then westwards around the area of clear fell until you meet the road then walk back south to your car.
7. Warning!. Just before the forestry fence reaches the road there is deep trench filled with liquid peat, it looks firm but it wasn't and I fell into up to my waist
Uploaded on: Mon, 28 May 2012 (11:34:47) Linkback: https://mountainviews.ie/track/1710/ To download GPS tracks you must be enrolled and logged in. See "Login or enrol", top right - quick and easy.
Note: ALL information such as Ascent, Length and Creator time taken etc should be regarded as approximate. The creator's comments are opinions and may not be accurate or still correct.
Your time to complete will depend on your speed plus break time and your mode of transport. For walkers: Naismith's rule, a rough and often inaccurate estimate, suggests a time of 8h 6m + time stopped for breaks
Note: It is up to you to ensure that your route is appropriate for you and your party to follow bearing in mind all factors such as safety, weather conditions, experience and access permission.