<< Prev page 1 .. 320 321 322 323 324 325 .. 390 Next page >>
Thanks jackill. I .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Just a word on how.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
Hi thisbliss. I en.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Not sure Wicklore,.. by thisbliss   (Show all posts)
wicklore
2008-09-22 15:12:45
"Did I find a needle in a haystack when I found my watch on a mountain?" from wicklore Contract pics
Picture: Did I find a needle in a haystack when I found my watch on a mountain? (Contract pics)

Using a GPS
I have a Garmin etrex which I take on many hikes. I use it to know my altitude and to mark summits. When I return to previously visited hills I can use the marked summits on the gps to bring me to the summit, or to tell me the exact distance to a previously marked summit. What I DON'T use the GPS for is to programme in coordinates and let it take me there. The reason is that I noticed years ago that the GPS coordinates don't match the summit coordinates and could be off by hundreds of metres. This could lead to missing a summit in bad weather or becoming disoriented. I am happy to use the GPS to retrace my route, and have done this on many occasions. But the big issue for me is: Is my GPS faulty or is an error of several hundred metres the norm? Can it be calibrated to match the OS system of coordinates on the maps? I know that there are new GPS systems that show the map on the screen, but what about my etrex? And while I'm at it, can anyone lend me an etrex cable so I can connect to my computer. I lost mine and they're expensive! (I am in Dublin South) I once lost my watch descending Lugnaquillia via Ballineddin Mountain. The next day I used my GPS to retrace my route and I found my watch about an hour up the mountain. The picture shows the moment of reunification! Does anyone else have such a heart warming GPS story?!!
Where are you goin.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
For all you summit.. by john_desmond   (Show all posts)
When and why did t.. by philclayton   (Show all posts)
Thanks Padodes. I .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Highest point in C.. by hazyview   (Show all posts)

Re: Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon
Peter Walker 7 hours ago.
Hi daithi07The 'what's left to do in Ireland' article currently lives largely in my head rather than anywhere more tangible. It will see the light of day at some point in the next few months. I am...

12 (Listed) Bens - Revisited
GSheehy a day ago.
I was drawn back by the lure of completing the 2002 - 12 Bens Challenge route. I got the details from John J. Cotter w... walk, Len: 29.1km, Climb: 2598m, Area: Benglenisky, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Ben

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Paou to Chorto return
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 8.3km, Climb: 237m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Affisos to Afetes return (2)
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 9.7km, Climb: 458m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Big Collin: Permission required?
StephenMullin a week ago.
Hi thereCan anybody tell me if permission is required to walk up Big Collin? If so, how does one go about obtaining this?Many thanks!

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Portaria Circuit
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 14.3km, Climb: 644m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Knockroe: Where Summits relocate with No Plate Movement
CaminoPat 2 days ago.
Knockroe summit is listed as being located in County Cork. The correct location however is County Waterford. Déise abú.

Anglesey Mountain: Great Carlingford views from a so-so top
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
There is enough space to park one car at 100 167, just on the edge of a wood around a sharp u-bend. Proceed north for 100m before turning NE up a gentle slope, although the terrain is treacherous ...

Pigeon Rock Mountain South Top: Nondescript summit for baggers only
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
Usually done in conjunction with Pigeon Rock itself, but can be done in isolation if you want. Car park can be found at 234 278 A. Take the track directly across the road that follows the Rocky Ri...

Greek Islands: Kos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 5.8km, Climb: 381m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()

Wee Slievemoughan: The ups and downs
Colin Murphy a week ago.
Approaching from Rocky Mountain summit requires a bit of up-and-down trekking, as it is necessary to first ascend Tornamrock and then drop down again to a the col to the south before ascending Wee...

Greek Islands: Kalymnos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 1.8km, Climb: 183m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()