<< Prev page 1 2 3 4 5 6 .. 394 Next page >>
Coming down off Dj.. by tomlug48   (Show all posts)
"... All social sy.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
Every European is .. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
Liam Lynch Loop in.. by tomlug48   (Show all posts)
MV members might b.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
Pepe
2018-10-19 14:49:01
THE POWER OF WORDS
There I was scratching around on Slieve Binnian. Up top, I bumped into a couple out hillwalking for the day. Pleasantries were exchanged – which way did you come up, fabulous views, the weather – usual mountain chitchat. From their accents they were clearly Northern. My accent is plainly Southern. As we parted, I enquired, “Is that the summit?” pointing at a nearby tor.
“It is,” the man responded. His parting shot? He smiled and added, “You’re on the third highest mountain in the country.”
Seven hundred years of hackles suddenly rose on the back of my neck. The green voice inside my head was outraged. That voice wanted to say, “Actually, the third highest mountain in THE COUNTRY is in Kerry. Slieve Binnian is (I checked this later in the MV summit book) the 36th highest peak in THE COUNTRY, not the third. It’s third highest in OUR FOURTH GREEN FIELD.” But of course I said none of this. I just smiled, bid them adieu, and off I went scrambling up the tor.
It occurred to me, as I watched from above the couple disappear down the path, what might have happened had I said something in response to this man who, given what he had said, must be a paid-up, card carrying member of the DUP. Did he say those words in an attempt to deliver a message?
Nonsense. Of course he didn’t. Nonetheless I amused myself inventing a few newspaper headlines: “Political Row On Ulster Mountain,” “Brexit Talks Stall As Violence Breaks Out In The Mournes,” “Crazed Southerner Pushes Man Off Ridge,” “Battle Of Boyne Re-enacted On Slieve Binnian”. Isn’t it weird and wonderful the things that sometimes happen on wild mountains – and the wild thoughts that come into our heads, set off by the usage of mere words?
Hi daithi07The 'wh.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
That sounds good P.. by daithi07   (Show all posts)
Hi daithi07I have .. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
Yes simon3, that's.. by daithi07   (Show all posts)

Benbulbin: donieg on the summit, 2008
donieg 4 hours ago.
Thursday 29.05.2008 a beautifull sunny day I decided to take on the three peaks challenge of Benbulbin followed by Benwiskin and finally Slievemore. I found 'eflanaga' comment of 15.03.06 helpfull...

More Mount Brandon
tomlug48 18 hours ago.
On the way to the summit

Binn Charrach: NE finger from the Twelve Bens offers a way in.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 a day ago.
Knockpasheemore (Binn Charrach) is a small summit at the end of a 2km ridge heading NE from the lower scree slopes of Benbaun, and makes a worthwhile climb either in its own right, or as a diversi...

Bencorrbeg: Shapely outlier, serious scrambling.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 a day ago.
Bencorbeg dominates views from the mouth of the Gleninagh Valley. Although only 577m, the full extent of this height is seen when the mountain is viewed from north or east, as the mountain plunges...

Inis Leacan: Island south of Roundstone.
Inishlacken is a small island south of Roundstone. Here it is viewed from Inishnee.

Oileán an Chlaí: Island in Bertraghboy Bay
Oghly Island is around 250m from the driveable Inishnee island.

Beast of Bencorrbeg tackled from the south.
As many others have said Bencorrbeg is a serious scrambling challenge. This track was an attempt to reach it from the ... walk, Len: 14.0km, Climb: 669m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Lettershinna Hill: Grass top, distant heights.
As paddyhillsbagger found, the Bens form a backdrop to the top of Lettershinna. This picture was taken during a generally mist covered period one May day.

Wicklow: Glenmalure to Glendalough
Onzy 4 days ago.
Glenmalure to Glendalough viw Wicklow Way & the Spinc... walk, Len: 11.3km, Climb: 540m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)

The Heights of Malta
madfrankie 4 days ago.
When you're considering hiking trips abroad, Malta is not likely to be high on anyone's list. It's small and the human f walk, Len: 8.4km, Climb: 40m, Area: Malta, Dingli ()

Benglenisky: Southern Bens easiest way up.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 4 days ago.
Driving towards Clifden along the N59, go 2km past the Benlettery Hostel and take the minor road on the right. I.5km along this, at point L750 499, there is a large space for parking on the right,...

Waterfalls Galore
march-fixer 4 days ago.
There are two major waterfalls in Jamaica. Dunn's River Falls and Reach Falls. Reach Falls is by far the most beautiful walk, Len: 6.2km, Climb: 109m, Area: Jamaica, Portland ()