<< Prev page 1 .. 35 36 37 38 39 40 .. 394 Next page >>
Wondering if anyon.. by groe   (Show all posts)
Dessie
Why .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Our good friend Pa.. by Dessie1   (Show all posts)
Report on the Moun.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
Link below is from.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
Aidy
2015-09-22 21:17:07
"Always competing with the landscape for attention." from Aidy Contract pics
Picture: Always competing with the landscape for attention. (Contract pics)

Cuilcagh Boardwalk
When I first saw photos of the boardwalk on Cuilcagh, my first thought was "Don't be taken in, this is a photoshopped practical joke." I was horrified to see it was real, as I suppose what most of us enjoy in the mountains is the feeling of wilderness, at least as much wildnerness as you can get on a small, heavily populated island. I thought that when I got round to Cuilcagh, I would approach via Benbeg and avoid the boardwalk. So when my sister asked me go along with her on the boardwalk route, I only very reluctantly agreed as she'd had a "bootcamp" that morning and wanted an easier walk.

I can sort of sympathise with some of the arguments in favour of the boardwalk - we all want to protect delicate environments. And, I don't want to be selfish and deny the pleasure of the hills and mountains to people who might have difficulty accessing them otherwise. But, did the solution really have to be so intrusive? Its still a long walk in on the Legnabrocky Trail to even reach the boardwalk, and would still be beyond a lot of people. Surely a stoney path would have been a possibility, and just as suitable for those able to manage the long walk.

There are benefits no doubt. I saw a lot more people out enjoying the hills that day than I have on most Irish mountains (even if 90% of them were turning at the top of the steps and not taking the extra short walk to the summit!). I also, hypocritically, was guiltily glad of the boardwalk after a long day, when I didn't have to slog through the bog on the way back. But, I'm sure this could have been better managed.
Hi does anyone kno.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
I just had to reac.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
and again...Hah!.... by maclimber   (Show all posts)
Good Lord no. Amu.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)

More Mount Brandon
tomlug48 8 hours ago.
On the way to the summit

Binn Charrach: NE finger from the Twelve Bens offers a way in.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 16 hours ago.
Knockpasheemore (Binn Charrach) is a small summit at the end of a 2km ridge heading NE from the lower scree slopes of Benbaun, and makes a worthwhile climb either in its own right, or as a diversi...

Bencorrbeg: Shapely outlier, serious scrambling.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 17 hours ago.
Bencorbeg dominates views from the mouth of the Gleninagh Valley. Although only 577m, the full extent of this height is seen when the mountain is viewed from north or east, as the mountain plunges...

Inis Leacan: Island south of Roundstone.
Inishlacken is a small island south of Roundstone. Here it is viewed from Inishnee.

Oileán an Chlaí: Island in Bertraghboy Bay
Oghly Island is around 250m from the driveable Inishnee island.

Beast of Bencorrbeg tackled from the south.
As many others have said Bencorrbeg is a serious scrambling challenge. This track was an attempt to reach it from the ... walk, Len: 14.0km, Climb: 669m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Lettershinna Hill: Grass top, distant heights.
As paddyhillsbagger found, the Bens form a backdrop to the top of Lettershinna. This picture was taken during a generally mist covered period one May day.

Wicklow: Glenmalure to Glendalough
Onzy 4 days ago.
Glenmalure to Glendalough viw Wicklow Way & the Spinc... walk, Len: 11.3km, Climb: 540m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)

The Heights of Malta
madfrankie 3 days ago.
When you're considering hiking trips abroad, Malta is not likely to be high on anyone's list. It's small and the human f walk, Len: 8.4km, Climb: 40m, Area: Malta, Dingli ()

Benglenisky: Southern Bens easiest way up.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 3 days ago.
Driving towards Clifden along the N59, go 2km past the Benlettery Hostel and take the minor road on the right. I.5km along this, at point L750 499, there is a large space for parking on the right,...

Waterfalls Galore
march-fixer 4 days ago.
There are two major waterfalls in Jamaica. Dunn's River Falls and Reach Falls. Reach Falls is by far the most beautiful walk, Len: 6.2km, Climb: 109m, Area: Jamaica, Portland ()

Binn Bhriocáin: Rocky top from afar.
The rocky top of Letterbreckaun viewed from Bencorrbeg in the Twelve Bens which is 4.5km away.