<< Prev page 1 .. 31 32 33 34 35 36 .. 389 Next page >>
Good Lord no. Amu.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Imagine for a minu.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
CaptainVertigo
2015-09-09 19:34:19
"The Ridge Tamed" from CaptainVertigo Contract pics
Picture: The Ridge Tamed (Contract pics)

Poor Cuilcagh
I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see what they've done to Cuilcagh. I always thought the rot would stop near the big cities. Where will it end? Beenkeragh Ridge? I had better warn you. The good people of Cavan and Fermanagh apparently LOVE the boardwalk, insofar as we may glean their opinions from reading the local papers. I suspect that supporters of the notion of wilderness here, and elsewhere, will be dubbed "elitist" and wanting to limit access to places of great beauty. A wooden staircase on a mountain is like a Barnum and Bailey freak show. Why not an escalator? And a big slide to get down quickly?
I would promote the construction of ski lifts on a limited number of Irish mountains to enable the elderly (whose ranks I am currently joining) and those who cannot walk (that could be any of us) to get up to the high places. In other words, we should go the whole way to help those who need help and the rest of us can walk. Is Bleck Cra gone forever? He warned of slippery slopes.

Serious Postscript
We have been through all of this before regarding the Mournes and elsewhere and I think the majority view was that while our preferred option is to keep the hills wild, we have to recognise that there is a case to be made for man made structures on very busy hills to soften the human imapact. UK and European experience suggests that paths (particularly stone paths) can integrate well and produce a better environmental outcome. I am afraid to say that the Cuilcagh Staircase looks as though it was photoshopped onto the mountain and consequently it appears intrusive. Yes MV should take a balanced view on manmade structures while robustly supporting the notion of wilderness. In the meantime I am quite serious in suggesting that we ought to have ski lifts on a few mountains to bring up all those who are physically unable to ascend on foot. A few mountains mind you!
Link below is to a.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
To correct tamjk's.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Following the rece.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
"Wicklore, I share.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
Wicklore, I beg yo.. by tamjk   (Show all posts)
tamjk, You DID cla.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
** Who in OSI tol.. by tamjk   (Show all posts)

Reflections
mcrtchly 18 hours ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 4 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Cush: rest test rest
test test test

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Cush: rest test rest
test test test test

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 3 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.