<< Prev page 1 .. 34 35 36 37 38 39 .. 390 Next page >>
Hi TamThank you fo.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
Most of the techni.. by aidand   (Show all posts)
Morning, Mr Walker.. by tamjk   (Show all posts)
Hi TamI don't know.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
Wicklore,I realise.. by tamjk   (Show all posts)
mcrtchly
2015-09-02 16:09:01
OSI public viewer and 1:25,000 maps
In reply to Tamjk's recent post about OSI maps, I can make the following observations:

The depiction of scale of digital maps on a computer screen depends upon the 'zoom' level and the pitch (pixel size) of the screen. For example looking at Mullaghanattin on the OSI public viewer at third zoom level (reported at 1:10,000 by the OSI website) gives images which are different sizes on different displays. On my LCD desktop monitor which has 47 pixel per cm (ppcm) I measure the distance between the summit of Mullaghanattin and the 700m contour to be 2.5cm, whilst on my tablet (62 ppcm) the distance is 1.3cm. Clearly a monitor with a higher density of pixels per cm will show a smaller scale image than that with a smaller ppcm. Web sites often quote the scale of a map based upon a nominal pixel density of with 72dpi (28ppcm) or 96dpi (38ppcm). If you want an accurate scale of the displayed map on a website you need to know the dpi/dppcm chosen by the web programmer for the map and you need to use a monitor with exactly the same dpi/ppcm. So just to reiterate THE SCALE QUOTED BY A WEBMAP IS UNLIKELY TO BE CORRECT

I think Wicklore has answered your misconception about the 1:25,000 mapping. I have the Reeks map in front of me here and I can assure you that Mullaghanattin is on the map. Concerning National coverage at 1:25,000 I suggest that you take this up with OSI, but I doubt that it would be economic to issue paper maps at this scale for the whole country. Anyhow, much more accurate digital map data (to building level) is available for the whole country from OSI which can be brought by any user.

Finally, I am disappointed by your use of the term 'Sirrah' when addressing someone who is a professional mapper with over 35 years experience in paper and digital mapping - perhaps you can explain your reasoning for implying that you have some sort of intellectual superiority.
Addressing someone.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
Hi tamjk. In your .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
** The OSI public .. by tamjk   (Show all posts)
Those who keep a s.. by Onzy   (Show all posts)

Re: Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon
Peter Walker 7 hours ago.
Hi daithi07The 'what's left to do in Ireland' article currently lives largely in my head rather than anywhere more tangible. It will see the light of day at some point in the next few months. I am...

12 (Listed) Bens - Revisited
GSheehy a day ago.
I was drawn back by the lure of completing the 2002 - 12 Bens Challenge route. I got the details from John J. Cotter w... walk, Len: 29.1km, Climb: 2598m, Area: Benglenisky, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Ben

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Paou to Chorto return
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 8.3km, Climb: 237m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Affisos to Afetes return (2)
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 9.7km, Climb: 458m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Big Collin: Permission required?
StephenMullin a week ago.
Hi thereCan anybody tell me if permission is required to walk up Big Collin? If so, how does one go about obtaining this?Many thanks!

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Portaria Circuit
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 14.3km, Climb: 644m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Knockroe: Where Summits relocate with No Plate Movement
CaminoPat 2 days ago.
Knockroe summit is listed as being located in County Cork. The correct location however is County Waterford. Déise abú.

Anglesey Mountain: Great Carlingford views from a so-so top
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
There is enough space to park one car at 100 167, just on the edge of a wood around a sharp u-bend. Proceed north for 100m before turning NE up a gentle slope, although the terrain is treacherous ...

Pigeon Rock Mountain South Top: Nondescript summit for baggers only
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
Usually done in conjunction with Pigeon Rock itself, but can be done in isolation if you want. Car park can be found at 234 278 A. Take the track directly across the road that follows the Rocky Ri...

Greek Islands: Kos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 5.8km, Climb: 381m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()

Wee Slievemoughan: The ups and downs
Colin Murphy a week ago.
Approaching from Rocky Mountain summit requires a bit of up-and-down trekking, as it is necessary to first ascend Tornamrock and then drop down again to a the col to the south before ascending Wee...

Greek Islands: Kalymnos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 1.8km, Climb: 183m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()