<< Prev page 1 .. 48 49 50 51 52 53 .. 389 Next page >>
Trailtrekker
2014-10-12 22:11:56
"" from Trailtrekker Contract pics
Picture: (Contract pics)

Why?
It's as simple as that, the question that I was asking myself at different times today. For today was one of those days that at least some of you will know of. That day where you go out to "bag" multiple binnions. Why? Because they are on a list, typically your local 100, or your revamped local 100. Now I have the cert from earlier this year to say that I have completed my local 100, but I know myself that since the additions were made earlier this year there is something inside me that wants to go out and make that list look complete again on my MV profile!

So today was one of those days that assigned to tick off seven of those small summits in the counties of Cavan and Monaghan. If we cod ourselves into thinking that this is anything other than bagging then stats reveal the truth and I love stats! 8 hours out of my day, driving 160 miles, only just over 2 of these hours spent walking less than 9km with a total height gain of less than 300 meters. I could get those kind of leisurely walking stats in one easy walk in any of my nearby ranges, without anywhere near the same driving miles or time out of my day.

So what did I encounter today? Mass traffic, match traffic, a slurry covered farm track, conifer ridden hills, indiscriminate summits, fields filled with cattle, water tank summits, churchyards, fence crossings, working quarries, windfarms and a path overgrown with gorse and brambles. Now don't get me wrong, it was not all bad (and neither were all of them). There was one impressive neolithic tomb, a couple of nice little walks, standing stones and some good views (although most of these hills fail in view category).

Will I do it again? Of course, I still have seven more of these north midlands tops to tick off my list. And rather than using the photo of the fine standing stones on Shantemon or the megalithic tomb on Mullyash to go along with this post. I have been inspired by paddyhillsbagger (going by his comments on many of the seven I have visited today, one who has done the same) and his recent post on Knockanes and will simply say to anyone who questions my sanity...... Feck Off!
About two years ag.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
I cannot say for c.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
We can sometimes g.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
I charged down to .. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Also they have a w.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
Cheap trekking pol.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
The man who died w.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Dear friends,We fo.. by des carroll   (Show all posts)
Forgive me for get.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)

Reflections
mcrtchly 18 hours ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 4 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Cush: rest test rest
test test test

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Cush: rest test rest
test test test test

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 3 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.