<< Prev page 1 .. 46 47 48 49 50 51 .. 388 Next page >>
As of recently we .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
May I add my heart.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Congrats and hats .. by ahendroff   (Show all posts)
Well done, Simon. .. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
Well done Simon, t.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
I am glad to annou.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
The direct approac.. by ahendroff   (Show all posts)
Fergalh, I am sure.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Hi a few short yea.. by Fergalh   (Show all posts)
Trailtrekker
2014-10-12 22:11:56
"" from Trailtrekker Contract pics
Picture: (Contract pics)

Why?
It's as simple as that, the question that I was asking myself at different times today. For today was one of those days that at least some of you will know of. That day where you go out to "bag" multiple binnions. Why? Because they are on a list, typically your local 100, or your revamped local 100. Now I have the cert from earlier this year to say that I have completed my local 100, but I know myself that since the additions were made earlier this year there is something inside me that wants to go out and make that list look complete again on my MV profile!

So today was one of those days that assigned to tick off seven of those small summits in the counties of Cavan and Monaghan. If we cod ourselves into thinking that this is anything other than bagging then stats reveal the truth and I love stats! 8 hours out of my day, driving 160 miles, only just over 2 of these hours spent walking less than 9km with a total height gain of less than 300 meters. I could get those kind of leisurely walking stats in one easy walk in any of my nearby ranges, without anywhere near the same driving miles or time out of my day.

So what did I encounter today? Mass traffic, match traffic, a slurry covered farm track, conifer ridden hills, indiscriminate summits, fields filled with cattle, water tank summits, churchyards, fence crossings, working quarries, windfarms and a path overgrown with gorse and brambles. Now don't get me wrong, it was not all bad (and neither were all of them). There was one impressive neolithic tomb, a couple of nice little walks, standing stones and some good views (although most of these hills fail in view category).

Will I do it again? Of course, I still have seven more of these north midlands tops to tick off my list. And rather than using the photo of the fine standing stones on Shantemon or the megalithic tomb on Mullyash to go along with this post. I have been inspired by paddyhillsbagger (going by his comments on many of the seven I have visited today, one who has done the same) and his recent post on Knockanes and will simply say to anyone who questions my sanity...... Feck Off!

Beinn Ghobhlach
Peter Walker 2 hours ago.
Beinn Ghobhlach by evening lightWhen you're told that you can do a walk in the morning if you're quick because your o... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 739m, Area: Beinn Ghobhlach, Loch Maree to Loch Broo

Suilven
Peter Walker 19 hours ago.
I first read about Suilven when I was about 11. It was in some British geographical gazetteer, a stern washed-out pict... walk, Len: 24.0km, Climb: 1029m, Area: Lochinver to Ullapool (Britain) Suilve

Slieve Elva: Fantastic scenery
Damian120 23 hours ago.
A stunning walk going up over Slieve Elva that you can begin and end end at Fanore Beach. Some great locations along the Caher River to stop and relax and watch the water gently flowing downstream...

Maumtrasna Plateau via Dirkbeg and Buckaun Spurs
Onzy a day ago.
Route to the Mauntrasna plateau using the Dirkbeg spur for ascent and the Buckaun for descent. walk, Len: 10.8km, Climb: 535m, Area: Maumtrasna North-East Top, Partry/Joyce C...

Lough Oular From Tonlagee
tomlug48 a day ago.
A beautiful July day on the summit of Tonlagee. Gazing down at the beautiful heart shaped Lough Oular.Tom Barragry & the Lugs .

Knockannavea: Nice views to be had
csd a day ago.
While not very challenging, recent felling means the views along the way and from the summit are pleasant enough. A nice spot for a lunchtime walk.

Picos de Europa
peter1 2 days ago.
I can say with certainty three things: the ascent was not 3266m, given the peak is only 2503m; secondly, I will be back walk, Len: 13.9km, Climb: 3266m, Area: Spain, Cantabria ()

Knocknabro East Top: Drought made difficult ground trek possible
Collaborative entry Last edit by: CaminoPat 3 days ago.
Knocknabro East Top is best climbed as part of a good loop walk, taking in the West and North-East tops of Knocknabro. This summit is best reached firstly via Knocknabro West Top and then onto the...

Sail Mhor
Peter Walker 4 days ago.
After a week of blazing sunshine in the Peak District overwhelmingly spent swimming in the pool, lazing by the pool a... walk, Len: 11.3km, Climb: 833m, Area: Sail Mhor, Loch Maree to Loch Broom (Bri

Knocknabro North-East Top: NE Top Revealed
Collaborative entry Last edit by: CaminoPat 3 days ago.
This summit is best reached via Knocknabro West Top. Park at laneway to old farmhouse now in ruin at W15905 83498. Room for 1-2 cars to park. Climb gate at entrance and follow post and wire fence ...

.Lough Oular from Tonlagee
tomlug48 2 days ago.
A beautiful July day on the summit of Tonlagee. Gazing down at the beautiful heart shaped Lough Oular.Tom Barragry & the Brothers of the Lug.

Coastal Dublin - Donabate to Malahide
Onzy 4 days ago.
Circuit of Broadmeadows Estuary from Donabate to Malahide walk, Len: 12.9km, Climb: 115m, Area: Dublin Islands (Ireland)