<< Prev page 1 .. 50 51 52 53 54 55 .. 388 Next page >>
Me: "I counted ove.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
http://aidymcglynn.. by Aidy   (Show all posts)
Anybody else stayi.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
I've inserted a re.. by aidand   (Show all posts)
Peter Walker
2014-08-24 22:19:21
Meetings of minds
Amidst the debate and banter regarding the recent expansion of the Binnion list on MV, the view has been repeatedly expressed that a possible downside might be an increase in access issues. The new hills are at the lower end of the altitude spectrum, and as such a decent proportion of them might have summits within actively worked farmland owned by folk blissfully unaware that hordes of hillwalkers (oh, alright then...about seven of them) might be about to descend (by ascending) on them.

The potential for conflict is undoubtedly there. But there is another way of looking at it.

After another week of bog-standard desk-jockeying, I needed a little fix of the outdoors. A vicious battle with the Belfast traffic was eventually won, and so it was that I found myself setting forth up Castlemahon Mountain, a slightly optimistically monikered summit (all 128m of it) near the County Down coast. Soon I was wandering though a yard surrounded by farm workings and farm houses, and I noticed two gentlemen working on some indeterminate/unidentifiable (to a child of the suburbs such as myself) machinery. I wandered over to ask for permission, and found one of them to be in his forties at a guess...the other was one of those men who could be anything from 60 to 140 years old but was still impressively proficient at his trade. The sought-after permission was happily granted and was followed by one of those nicely edifying conversations where parties with ostensibly nothing in common (lord knows how much damage I could do if anyone ever let me loose on mechanised agriculture) come together in mutual appreciation of just how satisfying a Friday evening outdoors can be.

And so it is that I sit here expressing online the hope that my exploration of the Binnions will give me many more opportunities to meet folks with fascinating worldviews that I would never otherwise have met. And part of me hopes that one of them went and wrote on some farmers' bulletin board about how he'd met some polite-but-daft English bloke who seemed to think that a smart shirt and suit trousers are perfectly acceptable hillwalking clothing so long as you're wearing four season mountain boots as well.
Walk for Mountainv.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
Does anyone know w.. by grodgers42   (Show all posts)
Concur with Jackil.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
Sounds like an epi.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
this is a shortene.. by rossbeighed   (Show all posts)

Beinn Ghobhlach
Peter Walker 2 hours ago.
Beinn Ghobhlach by evening lightWhen you're told that you can do a walk in the morning if you're quick because your o... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 739m, Area: Beinn Ghobhlach, Loch Maree to Loch Broo

Suilven
Peter Walker 19 hours ago.
I first read about Suilven when I was about 11. It was in some British geographical gazetteer, a stern washed-out pict... walk, Len: 24.0km, Climb: 1029m, Area: Lochinver to Ullapool (Britain) Suilve

Slieve Elva: Fantastic scenery
Damian120 23 hours ago.
A stunning walk going up over Slieve Elva that you can begin and end end at Fanore Beach. Some great locations along the Caher River to stop and relax and watch the water gently flowing downstream...

Maumtrasna Plateau via Dirkbeg and Buckaun Spurs
Onzy a day ago.
Route to the Mauntrasna plateau using the Dirkbeg spur for ascent and the Buckaun for descent. walk, Len: 10.8km, Climb: 535m, Area: Maumtrasna North-East Top, Partry/Joyce C...

Lough Oular From Tonlagee
tomlug48 a day ago.
A beautiful July day on the summit of Tonlagee. Gazing down at the beautiful heart shaped Lough Oular.Tom Barragry & the Lugs .

Knockannavea: Nice views to be had
csd a day ago.
While not very challenging, recent felling means the views along the way and from the summit are pleasant enough. A nice spot for a lunchtime walk.

Picos de Europa
peter1 2 days ago.
I can say with certainty three things: the ascent was not 3266m, given the peak is only 2503m; secondly, I will be back walk, Len: 13.9km, Climb: 3266m, Area: Spain, Cantabria ()

Knocknabro East Top: Drought made difficult ground trek possible
Collaborative entry Last edit by: CaminoPat 3 days ago.
Knocknabro East Top is best climbed as part of a good loop walk, taking in the West and North-East tops of Knocknabro. This summit is best reached firstly via Knocknabro West Top and then onto the...

Sail Mhor
Peter Walker 4 days ago.
After a week of blazing sunshine in the Peak District overwhelmingly spent swimming in the pool, lazing by the pool a... walk, Len: 11.3km, Climb: 833m, Area: Sail Mhor, Loch Maree to Loch Broom (Bri

Knocknabro North-East Top: NE Top Revealed
Collaborative entry Last edit by: CaminoPat 3 days ago.
This summit is best reached via Knocknabro West Top. Park at laneway to old farmhouse now in ruin at W15905 83498. Room for 1-2 cars to park. Climb gate at entrance and follow post and wire fence ...

.Lough Oular from Tonlagee
tomlug48 2 days ago.
A beautiful July day on the summit of Tonlagee. Gazing down at the beautiful heart shaped Lough Oular.Tom Barragry & the Brothers of the Lug.

Coastal Dublin - Donabate to Malahide
Onzy 4 days ago.
Circuit of Broadmeadows Estuary from Donabate to Malahide walk, Len: 12.9km, Climb: 115m, Area: Dublin Islands (Ireland)