<< Prev page 1 .. 70 71 72 73 74 75 .. 389 Next page >>
Thanks guys I will.. by declancorrigan   (Show all posts)
Agreed, Tomies Mou.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
I'd say that is ri.. by omurchu   (Show all posts)
Can anybody help i.. by declancorrigan   (Show all posts)
I see Knocka in Co.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
simon3
2014-02-02 09:31:40
MountainViews Gathering, 2014. Fri 21st Feb
Our main speaker will be Michael Fewer
He has told us
"In my illustrated talk I will outline forty years of enjoying walking throughout Ireland and Europe, showing how my writing expanded my walking horizons. I will talk about my walking explorations of mountains, rivers and islands of Ireland, together with my first tentative steps abroad."

Michael's background is as follows:
Michael Fewer enjoyed thirty years as a practicing architect and academic, and was a Fellow of the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland when he changed direction more than a decade ago to take up writing full-time. Since his first book was published in 1988 a further eighteen have appeared, dealing with matters such as walking, travel, history, architecture and the environment, including in 2002 The New Neighbourhood of Dublin with Maurice Craig, Doorways of Ireland in 2008 and Michael Fewer’s Ireland in 2012. He has contributed to radio and television programmes and written many articles over the last three decades on walking, environment and travels in Europe. His most recent book (with John Byrne) is T J Byrne: Nation Builder, published by South Dublin Libraries in 2013, and he is currently researching a book called Europe’s Western Fringe.

Peter Walker
"Easy. It's a word that crops up constantly in the musings of outdoorsfolk. It's sought out by the novice and sometimes sniggered at by the expert. It provides succour to the timid while being dispensed like confetti by the hard. Is 'easy' the most casually and wilfully misused word in hillwalking? Or is it, y'know, just like Sunday morning?"

Peter's background, with liberal use of artistic licence:
In 1972, a member of crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a hillwalking crime he didn't commit. He promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to Slieve Donard. Today, still wanted by the government, he survives as a member of Mountainviews. If you have a problem, if no one else is lanky enough, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Peter Walker.
Thanks to the Wayf.. by Geo   (Show all posts)
Isn't the market a.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
I believe that Out.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
There is a long es.. by aidand   (Show all posts)

Walking under the water!
march-fixer an hour ago.
With the Blessington Lakes being deprived of input due to the dry conditions, the water level has dropped considerably. walk, Len: 13.1km, Climb: 197m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)

Reflections
mcrtchly a day ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 3 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 3 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 3 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 5 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot a week ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 4 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.

Wet, Wet, Wet.
jackill a week ago.
Things are bad when you find yourself in a carpark trying to think up ways of not doing a hill walk.That was the situa... walk, Len: 19.9km, Climb: 448m, Area: Rinn Chonaill, Dingle West (Ireland) Ri