<< Prev page 1 .. 74 75 76 77 78 79 .. 389 Next page >>
I have had a first.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
lennyantonelli
2014-01-11 18:09:44
New islands and summits
Very excited about all these new summits. Having been looking around the map a lot, a few highlights come to mind.

- Inishark, beside Inishbofin, off Connemara. The island was abandoned in 1960 and anybody who has looked across to it while walking the coast of Bofin will have seen the abandoned village. Bofin itself has some brilliant coastal walks, while some artists actually constructed a bothy on Inishark last year as part of the very interesting 4 Bothies project: http://4bothies.com/?p=128. Perhaps Shark combined with neighbouring Inishturk and Clare Island could form a future island peak-bagging excursion?

- Knockanes hill in the Burren. This is I reckon the finest spot in the Burren, but no hills in the area had been on MV previously. For those who haven't been up Knockanes (and I actually haven't been to the summit myself yet) and its glorious neighbour Mullaghmore, you have a treat in store.

- On Achill, Cornaclea Hill looks over the stupendous Lough Nakerooge and will probably have already been visited by anyone traversing from Slievemore to Croaghaun. Another new summit, the Benmore Cliff above the Keem Valley, is equally grand.

- The Donegal Sea Stacks, Gull Island and Tormore. I've seen the latter from the coast but not the former. I think Iain Miller's company Unique Ascents offers guided sea stack climbing in the area.

- Newtown Hill in South Connemara, which seems to be the closest hill to Galway City. My formative introduction to the Irish landscape was cycling and walking the rather unloved boglands between Galway City and Connemara, so it's great to see a couple of summits in this area added now, though I have to confess I've yet to walk up any of them. Hoping to cycle out here soon to correct that.
This is brilliant .. by Aidy   (Show all posts)
What you will now .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
At 11:30 am on the.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Recently before a .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Dogs are not aloud.. by Trailtrekker   (Show all posts)
Anyone who has cli.. by Wilderness   (Show all posts)
RTE are showing a .. by aidand   (Show all posts)
This article was p.. by simon3   (Show all posts)

Walking under the water!
march-fixer an hour ago.
With the Blessington Lakes being deprived of input due to the dry conditions, the water level has dropped considerably. walk, Len: 13.1km, Climb: 197m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)

Reflections
mcrtchly a day ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 3 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 3 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 3 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 5 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot a week ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 4 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.

Wet, Wet, Wet.
jackill a week ago.
Things are bad when you find yourself in a carpark trying to think up ways of not doing a hill walk.That was the situa... walk, Len: 19.9km, Climb: 448m, Area: Rinn Chonaill, Dingle West (Ireland) Ri