<< Prev page 1 .. 82 83 84 85 86 87 .. 389 Next page >>
The OS (in the Rep.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
...on completing t.. by lennyantonelli   (Show all posts)
Conor, I climbed P.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
...well done on yo.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Onzy, yes indeed I.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
I see simon3 has c.. by Onzy   (Show all posts)
If anyone is inter.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
Bagger fight v goo.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
God, it's stick in.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
Conor74
2013-10-17 11:33:36
Home for a Bagger?
Interesting one. Kenmare is pretty well placed. If I walk about 500 metres up the road from my house I can see the Reeks, Dunkerrons, Cahas, Shehy/Knockboys and Mangertons, and the last range obscures the Purple Mountains which are also pretty close. All 100 locals were drawn from them, and in many cases the very nearest of those ranges - didn't have to go too far back the Cahas or Dunkerrons and still have a few of the Shehy/Knockboys to do. Can also just about see the Mishkish range at the end of the Beara Peninsula. Great walking country alright, but for some reason poor for IMRA/NIMRA mountain runs - apart from Carrauntoohil and Mangerton - that seems to be mostly Wicklow and Mournes based.

There is a drawback mind you. The presence of a lot of summits here...and the fact that the entire area in turn is a bit remote from some of the great ranges in the country, means the spectrum of summits bagged is quite limited. I have yet to set foot on the Mournes or Sperrins...in fact any summit in Ulster, pretty much anything in Connemara apart from Mweelrea, pretty much anything in Leinster apart from Lug etc. etc. So when people start talking about this mountain or that, unless they're in South or West Kerry or West Cork I'm in trouble. I suspect other baggers would think nothing of driving a few hours and getting in a new range and so seeing far more of the country then me, whereas I have a different mindset, the cost of fuel, the effort etc. means I just go up the same ones again and again a lot.

Reflections
mcrtchly 19 hours ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 4 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Cush: rest test rest
test test test

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Cush: rest test rest
test test test test

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 3 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.