<< Prev page 1 .. 331 332 333 334 335 336 .. 390 Next page >>
Who moved one of t.. by genie   (Show all posts)
I am aware that Mo.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
I too have noticed.. by Boots   (Show all posts)
Good man/wummin Ge.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
I see bleck cra ha.. by genie   (Show all posts)
Car Theft Ticknock.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
Hi there. I am rel.. by vikinghar   (Show all posts)
What is difficult .. by david kirk   (Show all posts)
Bleck Cra
2008-01-04 17:21:22
ON DEAD MAN'S LAND
Volsung, sadly I think I agree with you. I say “sadly” because I suppose when speaking of the dead, one should be “sad”. The solution eludes me but I am less sad about that…., because I think it should. There is no more desperate affect on people than the loss of a friend or relative (although there certainly can be exceptions – some of which I myself am looking forward to) and the vote has to go with them. I don’t like these memorials because they jar with what I confidently call “my environment”. But how does that compare with death? Not well, I am afraid – and so plastic flowers and cheesy epitaphs adorn the roadsides, weary plaques and tattered mementos pepper the hills. But we greatly exaggerate – there are half a dozen of them across the Mournes main routes and were there two dozen would it be more painful for us than their architects? Alas and uncomfortably I think we have to put it in perspective (although of course I understand the inference, that an inch soon becomes a mile) and buy into it as best we can. Is it litter? No. Is it offensive? No .Is it a bad thing? On balance, a guarded No. My own Da, post the pyre, was launched out into the golf course he inhabited when alive, to inhabit it when dead. It is what he (but not the golf course) would have wanted – so his mates spread him around under cover of darkness – they all, in flesh and spirit, had a ball. For the moment, I am going to go with the dead people – although hopefully not immediately.
Was taking a drive.. by tsunami   (Show all posts)

Re: Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon
Peter Walker 2 hours ago.
Hi daithi07The 'what's left to do in Ireland' article currently lives largely in my head rather than anywhere more tangible. It will see the light of day at some point in the next few months. I am...

12 (Listed) Bens - Revisited
GSheehy a day ago.
I was drawn back by the lure of completing the 2002 - 12 Bens Challenge route. I got the details from John J. Cotter w... walk, Len: 29.1km, Climb: 2598m, Area: Benglenisky, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Ben

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Paou to Chorto return
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 8.3km, Climb: 237m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Affisos to Afetes return (2)
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 9.7km, Climb: 458m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Big Collin: Permission required?
StephenMullin a week ago.
Hi thereCan anybody tell me if permission is required to walk up Big Collin? If so, how does one go about obtaining this?Many thanks!

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Portaria Circuit
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 14.3km, Climb: 644m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Knockroe: Where Summits relocate with No Plate Movement
CaminoPat 2 days ago.
Knockroe summit is listed as being located in County Cork. The correct location however is County Waterford. Déise abú.

Anglesey Mountain: Great Carlingford views from a so-so top
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
There is enough space to park one car at 100 167, just on the edge of a wood around a sharp u-bend. Proceed north for 100m before turning NE up a gentle slope, although the terrain is treacherous ...

Pigeon Rock Mountain South Top: Nondescript summit for baggers only
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
Usually done in conjunction with Pigeon Rock itself, but can be done in isolation if you want. Car park can be found at 234 278 A. Take the track directly across the road that follows the Rocky Ri...

Greek Islands: Kos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 5.8km, Climb: 381m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()

Wee Slievemoughan: The ups and downs
Colin Murphy a week ago.
Approaching from Rocky Mountain summit requires a bit of up-and-down trekking, as it is necessary to first ascend Tornamrock and then drop down again to a the col to the south before ascending Wee...

Greek Islands: Kalymnos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 1.8km, Climb: 183m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()