<< Prev page 1 .. 333 334 335 336 337 338 .. 389 Next page >>
I had a listen to .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Well put dhmiriam... by Alex92   (Show all posts)
'Craw 'said the cr.. by maclimb   (Show all posts)
Oh for pity’s sake.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
I have only just c.. by kevinshandler   (Show all posts)
Superbam, this is .. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
Moac
2007-11-04 21:36:25
OS on the wireless
I happened to hear this interestin g programme on RTE Radio1 on Friday last http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thelieoftheland/rams/12july.smil - an account of building OS trig points and yarns about surveying our high points. - repeats of earlier series.

The Lie Of The Land

With the help of the country's greatest authorities on mapping, Séan Rocks examines how maps of the island of Ireland tell a history of their own. This series seeks to unearth the truth behind the different mapping projects of Ireland, from the observations of Ptolemy and early maps of Ireland such as that of Gerald Cambrensis in the 13th century to the advanced technology of modern mapping which gives a level of accuracy never before attainable.

Listen to the series. http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thelieoftheland/1050624.html
Audio links to all the programmes in the series
I always enjoy the.. by tgormley   (Show all posts)
Oi wee davie - wha.. by superbam   (Show all posts)
Just to follow up .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)

Reflections
mcrtchly 13 hours ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 4 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Cush: rest test rest
test test test

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Cush: rest test rest
test test test test

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 3 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.