<< Prev page 1 .. 333 334 335 336 337 338 .. 389 Next page >>
I had a listen to .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Well put dhmiriam... by Alex92   (Show all posts)
'Craw 'said the cr.. by maclimb   (Show all posts)
Oh for pity’s sake.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
I have only just c.. by kevinshandler   (Show all posts)
Superbam, this is .. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
I happened to hear.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
tgormley
2007-11-02 13:47:00
Mountain Rescue
I always enjoy the contributions by the likes of Bleck Cra, Wee Davie, Padodes and Alex92. Given the informal nature of the site, you would have to take forlorn hopes of a disappearing Dublin or criticism of mountain rescue teams with a few pinches of salt. That said, I share the general admiration for the volunteers who get involved in mountain rescue and would hate to think they were offended by being described in colourful and entertaining language.

I think we all know - particularly those of us who prefer the peace and quiet of solitary walks - that when we're out on the hills we take some risks and are responsible for what might happen. I go for the belt-and-braces: a 45 litre bag with whistle, headlamp, spare clothes, first-aid kit, a couple of litres of water, mobile phone and emergency blankets. Cliff Richard fans obviously go for the 'travelling light' option. By the way, do you know what I hate ... when I've spent an hour slogging up some slope with all that gear on my back and some guy in a tee-shirt and shorts runs past me, obviously out for a 10-minute warmup! Anyway, back to the risks. If I slip and get hurt and need help and someone turns up to offer it, it will be a very, very pleasant surprise and if there's a five-hour delay before they can get the helicopter (the helicopter!) to me, I might just count my blessings. I choose to be in remote, inaccessible places; I choose how much spare stuff to bring in case something goes wrong and I need to keep hydrated or warm or fed. Any decent folk who respond to my urgent phone call and try to help cannot be held responsible for the fact that I want to act the gobshite, even if they don't know quite what to do with me when they find me.

For some, the picture painted by Bleck Cra may portray a mountain rescue team who didn't know what they were at. For me, the striking image is of four adults heading out for a walk on the hills without the wit to keep themselves warm. What I want to know is, who let them out.
Oi wee davie - wha.. by superbam   (Show all posts)
Just to follow up .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)

Reflections
mcrtchly 18 hours ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 4 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Cush: rest test rest
test test test

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Cush: rest test rest
test test test test

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 3 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.