<< Prev page 1 .. 332 333 334 335 336 337 .. 388 Next page >>
Well put dhmiriam... by Alex92   (Show all posts)
'Craw 'said the cr.. by maclimb   (Show all posts)
Oh for pity’s sake.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
I have only just c.. by kevinshandler   (Show all posts)
Superbam, this is .. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
I happened to hear.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
tgormley
2007-11-02 13:47:00
Mountain Rescue
I always enjoy the contributions by the likes of Bleck Cra, Wee Davie, Padodes and Alex92. Given the informal nature of the site, you would have to take forlorn hopes of a disappearing Dublin or criticism of mountain rescue teams with a few pinches of salt. That said, I share the general admiration for the volunteers who get involved in mountain rescue and would hate to think they were offended by being described in colourful and entertaining language.

I think we all know - particularly those of us who prefer the peace and quiet of solitary walks - that when we're out on the hills we take some risks and are responsible for what might happen. I go for the belt-and-braces: a 45 litre bag with whistle, headlamp, spare clothes, first-aid kit, a couple of litres of water, mobile phone and emergency blankets. Cliff Richard fans obviously go for the 'travelling light' option. By the way, do you know what I hate ... when I've spent an hour slogging up some slope with all that gear on my back and some guy in a tee-shirt and shorts runs past me, obviously out for a 10-minute warmup! Anyway, back to the risks. If I slip and get hurt and need help and someone turns up to offer it, it will be a very, very pleasant surprise and if there's a five-hour delay before they can get the helicopter (the helicopter!) to me, I might just count my blessings. I choose to be in remote, inaccessible places; I choose how much spare stuff to bring in case something goes wrong and I need to keep hydrated or warm or fed. Any decent folk who respond to my urgent phone call and try to help cannot be held responsible for the fact that I want to act the gobshite, even if they don't know quite what to do with me when they find me.

For some, the picture painted by Bleck Cra may portray a mountain rescue team who didn't know what they were at. For me, the striking image is of four adults heading out for a walk on the hills without the wit to keep themselves warm. What I want to know is, who let them out.
Oi wee davie - wha.. by superbam   (Show all posts)
Just to follow up .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
OSI have launched .. by beckett   (Show all posts)

Beinn Ghobhlach
Peter Walker 10 hours ago.
Beinn Ghobhlach by evening lightWhen you're told that you can do a walk in the morning if you're quick because your o... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 739m, Area: Beinn Ghobhlach, Loch Maree to Loch Broo

Suilven
Peter Walker a day ago.
I first read about Suilven when I was about 11. It was in some British geographical gazetteer, a stern washed-out pict... walk, Len: 24.0km, Climb: 1029m, Area: Lochinver to Ullapool (Britain) Suilve

Slieve Elva: Fantastic scenery
Damian120 a day ago.
A stunning walk going up over Slieve Elva that you can begin and end end at Fanore Beach. Some great locations along the Caher River to stop and relax and watch the water gently flowing downstream...

Maumtrasna Plateau via Dirkbeg and Buckaun Spurs
Onzy 2 days ago.
Route to the Mauntrasna plateau using the Dirkbeg spur for ascent and the Buckaun for descent. walk, Len: 10.8km, Climb: 535m, Area: Maumtrasna North-East Top, Partry/Joyce C...

Lough Oular From Tonlagee
tomlug48 2 days ago.
A beautiful July day on the summit of Tonlagee. Gazing down at the beautiful heart shaped Lough Oular.Tom Barragry & the Lugs .

Knockannavea: Nice views to be had
csd 2 days ago.
While not very challenging, recent felling means the views along the way and from the summit are pleasant enough. A nice spot for a lunchtime walk.

Picos de Europa
peter1 3 days ago.
I can say with certainty three things: the ascent was not 3266m, given the peak is only 2503m; secondly, I will be back walk, Len: 13.9km, Climb: 3266m, Area: Spain, Cantabria ()

Knocknabro East Top: Drought made difficult ground trek possible
Collaborative entry Last edit by: CaminoPat 3 days ago.
Knocknabro East Top is best climbed as part of a good loop walk, taking in the West and North-East tops of Knocknabro. This summit is best reached firstly via Knocknabro West Top and then onto the...

Sail Mhor
Peter Walker 5 days ago.
After a week of blazing sunshine in the Peak District overwhelmingly spent swimming in the pool, lazing by the pool a... walk, Len: 11.3km, Climb: 833m, Area: Sail Mhor, Loch Maree to Loch Broom (Bri

Knocknabro North-East Top: NE Top Revealed
Collaborative entry Last edit by: CaminoPat 3 days ago.
This summit is best reached via Knocknabro West Top. Park at laneway to old farmhouse now in ruin at W15905 83498. Room for 1-2 cars to park. Climb gate at entrance and follow post and wire fence ...

.Lough Oular from Tonlagee
tomlug48 2 days ago.
A beautiful July day on the summit of Tonlagee. Gazing down at the beautiful heart shaped Lough Oular.Tom Barragry & the Brothers of the Lug.

Coastal Dublin - Donabate to Malahide
Onzy 5 days ago.
Circuit of Broadmeadows Estuary from Donabate to Malahide walk, Len: 12.9km, Climb: 115m, Area: Dublin Islands (Ireland)