<< Prev page 1 .. 121 122 123 124 125 126 .. 389 Next page >>
thanks mad2climb, .. by lennyantonelli   (Show all posts)
Myself I have a MS.. by mad2climb   (Show all posts)
The Copper House G.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
This one is for ca.. by lennyantonelli   (Show all posts)
Do not go gentle i.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
25 years ago this .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Another view of th.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
Another picture of.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
Peter Walker
2012-10-12 17:25:08
"Welcome to Slieve Gullion" from Peter Walker Contract pics
Picture: Welcome to Slieve Gullion (Contract pics)

Back on the beaten path...MHT meeting invitat
Ladies and gents,

In the wake of the article published in the September newsletter, a meeting has been arranged between members of MountainViews and the Mourne Heritage Trust a week on Saturday (20th October); this will take place at an appropriate site in the Mournes area. This will be a chance to discuss past, present and future path works with the MHT (who are the agency carrying these works out) and other interested parties. Anyone wishing to come along should contact me via the site messaging system: the more the merrier.

Staying with the subject of path works, nice weather and a free afternoon saw me rock up in South Armagh for a leisurely ascent of Slieve Gullion this afternoon. My ambitions ran no further than a quick nip up and down by the path running up from the upper part of the Forest Drive, but on arrival at the point where this path leaves the road I was confronted with signs proclaiming that the track was undergoing 33 weeks' worth of 'upgrade' and that no pedestrians could use it at present. Curiosity got the better of me and I sallied forth anyway, but a couple of minutes of flagstones led to a working party using mechanical diggers to lay down the contents of numerous bags of...something. I didn't get close enough to find out. I turned around, went back to the car and drove a little further on, before making a pathless ascent up the slopes to the north.

What do we think of this sort of work being carried out in this instance? Is it more justifiable because this is a short(er) walk of less interest to serious walkers? Or is it another mountain being lowest common denominatored (sic) for no good reason?

(See pic on this comment and two others on separate comments)
Roberto – you’re j.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Walking under the water!
march-fixer 2 days ago.
With the Blessington Lakes being deprived of input due to the dry conditions, the water level has dropped considerably. walk, Len: 13.1km, Climb: 197m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 a week ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 5 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 5 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 6 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.

Reflections
mcrtchly 4 days ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot a week ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Truskmore: Sligo - County Highpoint with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 6 days ago.
Climbed Truskmore today, Saturday 15/09/2018. Was a very wet and windy day. I was delighted to make it to the summit with the weather being so bad. I was amazed to meet 3 men on bicycles heading u...

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Long Mountain: Afternoon stroll
Wilderness 6 days ago.
I left my car in Dunloy village. As I walked up Mallaboy Lane to the last farm house there was a yellow warning sign: BEWARE OF THE GUARD DOG and CCTV. I proceeded past the house with caution and ...