<< Prev page 1 .. 139 140 141 142 143 144 .. 394 Next page >>
...I'm afraid. Go.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
So far we haveMe   (Show all posts)
Another great Scav.. by muzag   (Show all posts)
'Scavvy' aka 'Scav.. by dhmiriam   (Show all posts)
Thanks UCampbell –.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
ucampbell
2012-08-20 21:03:54
Scavenger 9 from a total beginner...
So it was 19kms (almost) and 1000+ up and more down. And almost 8hrs in the making (what took us all day? (Mary)). Well I'll try to tell you my part in the Scavvy.
Great walk in along a good track, no pause to take pics of the burnt forest (too busy trying to breathe). And of course get a few names of all these new scary/normal people I was to be with for the day/night. A gradual ascent, a few pauses to let group re-group. A chance to get a drink/banana/flapjack, after all breakfast was at 8 and it was now 12 (and no lattes). So we were going up Cove then, ah! but not that way, not on your nellie/or on anyone elses either. Up the coachroad we went. A few went round but those who went UP were very pleased they did, BUT I am going to have to get out my Oxford and see was I thrutching, swarming up and debouche/ing all for the very first time maybe. I do know I was shaking at the top. But a challenge is good for the "soul", and the wonky knee. So on up Lamagan and a break at last. We were doing well for time so I was told to take my time getting down as it is a "steep" one. Thanks for the company and the chat going down, getting to know a few more scavvies. The Binnians are a wonder, I certainly felt blessed to be on them with such a great crowd. I had been out the day before and up Bearnagh and Meelmore and now have a few more tops to tick off my list. First I'm off to google "what is a B steady pace-classification" a testing! walk. Define a great day out though and I can agree it is one organised by Doug and John and all the other "merrie" scavvies. I am now on board for future trips (unless I don't hear from you all again). Go raibh maith agaibh.
Many thanks to Dou.. by aidand   (Show all posts)
Walking up beside .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Scavenger Walk 9. .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
the hut is about 4.. by kevin carroll   (Show all posts)

More Mount Brandon
tomlug48 8 hours ago.
On the way to the summit

Binn Charrach: NE finger from the Twelve Bens offers a way in.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 16 hours ago.
Knockpasheemore (Binn Charrach) is a small summit at the end of a 2km ridge heading NE from the lower scree slopes of Benbaun, and makes a worthwhile climb either in its own right, or as a diversi...

Bencorrbeg: Shapely outlier, serious scrambling.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 18 hours ago.
Bencorbeg dominates views from the mouth of the Gleninagh Valley. Although only 577m, the full extent of this height is seen when the mountain is viewed from north or east, as the mountain plunges...

Inis Leacan: Island south of Roundstone.
Inishlacken is a small island south of Roundstone. Here it is viewed from Inishnee.

Oileán an Chlaí: Island in Bertraghboy Bay
Oghly Island is around 250m from the driveable Inishnee island.

Beast of Bencorrbeg tackled from the south.
As many others have said Bencorrbeg is a serious scrambling challenge. This track was an attempt to reach it from the ... walk, Len: 14.0km, Climb: 669m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Lettershinna Hill: Grass top, distant heights.
As paddyhillsbagger found, the Bens form a backdrop to the top of Lettershinna. This picture was taken during a generally mist covered period one May day.

Wicklow: Glenmalure to Glendalough
Onzy 4 days ago.
Glenmalure to Glendalough viw Wicklow Way & the Spinc... walk, Len: 11.3km, Climb: 540m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)

The Heights of Malta
madfrankie 3 days ago.
When you're considering hiking trips abroad, Malta is not likely to be high on anyone's list. It's small and the human f walk, Len: 8.4km, Climb: 40m, Area: Malta, Dingli ()

Benglenisky: Southern Bens easiest way up.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 3 days ago.
Driving towards Clifden along the N59, go 2km past the Benlettery Hostel and take the minor road on the right. I.5km along this, at point L750 499, there is a large space for parking on the right,...

Waterfalls Galore
march-fixer 4 days ago.
There are two major waterfalls in Jamaica. Dunn's River Falls and Reach Falls. Reach Falls is by far the most beautiful walk, Len: 6.2km, Climb: 109m, Area: Jamaica, Portland ()

Binn Bhriocáin: Rocky top from afar.
The rocky top of Letterbreckaun viewed from Bencorrbeg in the Twelve Bens which is 4.5km away.