<< Prev page 1 .. 138 139 140 141 142 143 .. 389 Next page >>
Having read conor7.. by Harry Goodman   (Show all posts)
...check your mess.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
I think you have t.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
I tend to agree wi.. by Harry Goodman   (Show all posts)
simon3
2012-07-23 11:26:17
"Misty Maumtrasna summit in 2005." from simon3 Contract pics
Picture: Misty Maumtrasna summit in 2005. (Contract pics)

Re When is a summit actually bagged?
Definitions can get difficult for things like this. There can be hard cases. Like Tomaneena/ Turlough Hill where the top is an artificial lake or the Great Skellig.where you are forbidden from reaching the top. And I don't think we have yet devised a complete set of exhaustive rules for what constitutes the act of summiteering or bagging.

Still, when we do, I think that summiteering on a place like Maumtrasna where it is indeed possible to reach the top, does require you to touch the cairn. So little does Maumtrasna slope away from the highest point, that being within 2 -3 metres vertically of the top could be over 100m horizontally.

I know I am not alone in having to revisit places which I think I may have climbed in the earlier years before the addiction set in. Did I or didn't I actually reach the top of Cnoc na gCapall in the Dunkerrons on that club walk with the Wayfarers in the early 90's. I just don't know. I'll go back.

Anyone have any other opinions on this?

You might also laugh at the issue posed by walking with someone who can potentially tell whether a summit is or is not in a given list. See http://mountainviews.ie/summit/272/comment/14731/
Do you have to phy.. by wwwalker   (Show all posts)
I'd recommend the .. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
I remain convinced.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Sixteen Mountain M.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Hi Folks,I'm curre.. by Cweed101   (Show all posts)

Walking under the water!
march-fixer an hour ago.
With the Blessington Lakes being deprived of input due to the dry conditions, the water level has dropped considerably. walk, Len: 13.1km, Climb: 197m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)

Reflections
mcrtchly a day ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 3 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 3 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 3 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 5 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot a week ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 4 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.

Wet, Wet, Wet.
jackill a week ago.
Things are bad when you find yourself in a carpark trying to think up ways of not doing a hill walk.That was the situa... walk, Len: 19.9km, Climb: 448m, Area: Rinn Chonaill, Dingle West (Ireland) Ri