<< Prev page 1 .. 170 171 172 173 174 175 .. 388 Next page >>
See the attached f.. by aidand   (Show all posts)
The following was .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
A man in his 60s h.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Bleck Cra
2011-11-20 22:31:08
"The beginning of the end" from Bleck Cra Contract pics
Picture: The beginning of the end (Contract pics)

BACKTRACK
Never underestimate the power of arrogance. Especially when it bites you in your own backside.
I did my first hillwalk 30 years ago and have been doing them most weekends since.
So when I found myself on the top of Doan in the Mournes for the second time today, when no such plan had been made, I guessed I was in diffs.
The route was to be – Spellack, to Meelmore, to Meelbeg, to Slieveloughshannagh, to Doan, return same route off Doan, Bearnagh by the Loughshannagh track, Hare’s Gap, Trassey Track and Meelmore Lodge.
But – it wasn’t.
The main track for Doan comes from the NW. SE, it drops towards the Silent Valley Road. West and North are the most appalling, outrageous bogs of peat hag and endless water.
Avoid them in July with long vis. Go nowhere near them in November with cloud at 200’. It was November and cloud was at 200’.
Having come off Doan, I did a circuit of one of these bogs in no vis. I still don’t know which one. Then an incline at last: I would recognise the top and thus, recalibrate. Was it Doan, Loughshannagh, Crom, Meelbeg?
It was Doan – again. So a thoughtful run off it West-ish – but nope. Into the bog again. Dragging myself dripping on to the Shannagh track, I headed for Bearnagh and thought better of it, took the track to the Shannagh/Meelbeg col, on to Meelbeg - thought about Meelmore. Thought better of that too – and focussed on the Trassey Road for home.
Back at the car and with safety, came confidence – and no sooner was confidence in the ascendant and so was arrogance – for the second time today.
I have been in these roads and these mountains for 16 years. I got lost driving home.
"Take me out of th.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
Hopefully it wont .. by Dessie1   (Show all posts)
I've seen a few th.. by aidand   (Show all posts)
I think you are sp.. by Dessie1   (Show all posts)
Hi Dessie, that's .. by scapania   (Show all posts)
I took this photo .. by Dessie1   (Show all posts)

An Bhinn Bhuí: Benwee Loop walk towards Portacloy.
ucampbell 20 hours ago.
The Loop walks here are well signposted, it's a great idea to go out onto each headland.

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman a day ago.
On 26/4/2014 i spent a very enjoyable afternoon walking this area visiting the army observation hut and the stone constructed EIRE marking as part of an addition to the Benwee Head Loop walk but i...

Doonvinalla N Top: Flat topped but hard to get to.
simon3 a day ago.
View from the west.

Circuit of Dirkbeg Lough - easier ascent
The purpose of this walk is to reach the Maumtrasna plateau and Maumtrasna NE top (MNET). The lattter is quite possib... walk, Len: 11.6km, Climb: 564m, Area: Maumtrasna North-East Top, Partry/Joyce

Near Galtybeg, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
caiomhin 2 days ago.
walk, Len: 11.3km, Climb: 663m, Area: Galtybeg, Galty Mountains (Ireland) Galty...

Benwee Coastal Walk
The walk starts at a small carpark and Wild Atlantic Way sign just west of Benwee. In fact some of the local rock has ... walk, Len: 8.1km, Climb: 245m, Area: An Bhinn Bhu?, North Mayo (Ireland) An B

Benwee NE Head: Jagged summit
simon3 a day ago.
View from the east.

Riddle of the Spinc
BleckCra 3 days ago.
I was at Glendalough yesterday and on the Spinc for the first time. I cannot imagine there haven't already been a thousand hours debate on the boardwalk and and that there won't be a thousand hour...

Benwee NE Head: Jagged summit
simon3 a day ago.
Picture from the west.

Kid Island: Steepwalled island.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 a day ago.
Kid Island is very visible from Benwee Head.

Lenadoon Coastal Walk
walk, Len: 2.5km, Climb: 8m, Area: Mayo Coastal Hill (Ireland)

Buckaun East: Cliffy north edge.
simon3 a day ago.
This is a picture of Buckaun East taken from the valley below.. Obviously the safest way to go up and down this is to the left or south of the ridge.