<< Prev page 1 .. 171 172 173 174 175 176 .. 388 Next page >>
Folks:We were on H.. by odonogc   (Show all posts)
Not necessarily to.. by muzag   (Show all posts)
I will, no doubt, .. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
CaptainVertigo
2011-11-11 01:01:09
"Lough Lugacolliwee from Tawny Rower" from CaptainVertigo Contract pics
Picture: Lough Lugacolliwee from Tawny Rower (Contract pics)

The Discipline of the List (1)
I cannot recall when my enjoyment of the hills changed from a haphazard series of adventures to the systematic pursuit of a list. In my youth I walked hills with little preparation and often didn't know the names of subject mountains. What a waste! Now I think long and hard about how to squeeze the maximum number of Arderins into a single day. I record everything. The notion that I would expend time on a 499 metre midget, unless it was actually "in the way", is anathema to me. But if it were 500 metres or 501, why then it is a beauty to be pursued with vigour. So here I am, a child of Erin, enslaved to a creature of the Napoleonic Code with no roots in feet or yards. And in this servile addiction the notion that I would travel the same way twice, well that is just beyond contemplation.
When the recent Reeks Scavvy was announced I winced. The best walking in the country is a sterile prospect for a man who has been there before, and has yet to finish his List. A man with a mission. And yet I longed for the fellowship of my MV compatriots. The shared anticipation, the earnest launch, the emergence of slagging, fun poking and the like. The communal bliss of achievement in perfect weather. The mishaps. The disasters. The tired bonhomie of the waning day. The eating and drinking and making merry. The emerging mythology of the endeavour. All that I forsook to trudge the road untravelled in pursuit of my compulsion to add another few strings to my Stradivarious. So l arose at 3 am on Saturday (one hour earlier than expected due to an error setting my alarm at 1.30 am!). Arose and drove to Galway with a child's bike in the boot and a determination to walk all six of the Sheffrey Arderins. I drove to Maam Cross and took a right turn to Leenane on what I have always believed is the strange green side of the Maamturks. Even in the pitch dark there was something huge and black about the Turks, the way they blocked out starlight from the west. Through Leenane. Around the fjord. Past Delphi and into the Doolough valley. I took a left after Ben Creggan and went as far as Sheefrey Bridge to drop my haversack and poles. Then straight back to Doolough, parked, took out the bike, and cycled back the miles to the bridge, collected my gear, hid the bike, and started up the Western Way towards Tawny Rower, first of the Big Six. What a "statement" is dawn! What peace. What solitude. As I trudged I thought of the others on the way to An Chruach Mhor and felt the bittersweet pang of the gloriously lonely.
I'm not sure how m.. by muzag   (Show all posts)
What a wonderful d.. by muzag   (Show all posts)
On a recent hike (.. by Tom Milligan   (Show all posts)
Personally Conor, .. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
At the risk of inc.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
On Saturday last I.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)

Beinn Ghobhlach
Peter Walker 10 hours ago.
Beinn Ghobhlach by evening lightWhen you're told that you can do a walk in the morning if you're quick because your o... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 739m, Area: Beinn Ghobhlach, Loch Maree to Loch Broo

Suilven
Peter Walker a day ago.
I first read about Suilven when I was about 11. It was in some British geographical gazetteer, a stern washed-out pict... walk, Len: 24.0km, Climb: 1029m, Area: Lochinver to Ullapool (Britain) Suilve

Slieve Elva: Fantastic scenery
Damian120 a day ago.
A stunning walk going up over Slieve Elva that you can begin and end end at Fanore Beach. Some great locations along the Caher River to stop and relax and watch the water gently flowing downstream...

Maumtrasna Plateau via Dirkbeg and Buckaun Spurs
Onzy 2 days ago.
Route to the Mauntrasna plateau using the Dirkbeg spur for ascent and the Buckaun for descent. walk, Len: 10.8km, Climb: 535m, Area: Maumtrasna North-East Top, Partry/Joyce C...

Lough Oular From Tonlagee
tomlug48 2 days ago.
A beautiful July day on the summit of Tonlagee. Gazing down at the beautiful heart shaped Lough Oular.Tom Barragry & the Lugs .

Knockannavea: Nice views to be had
csd 2 days ago.
While not very challenging, recent felling means the views along the way and from the summit are pleasant enough. A nice spot for a lunchtime walk.

Picos de Europa
peter1 3 days ago.
I can say with certainty three things: the ascent was not 3266m, given the peak is only 2503m; secondly, I will be back walk, Len: 13.9km, Climb: 3266m, Area: Spain, Cantabria ()

Knocknabro East Top: Drought made difficult ground trek possible
Collaborative entry Last edit by: CaminoPat 3 days ago.
Knocknabro East Top is best climbed as part of a good loop walk, taking in the West and North-East tops of Knocknabro. This summit is best reached firstly via Knocknabro West Top and then onto the...

Sail Mhor
Peter Walker 5 days ago.
After a week of blazing sunshine in the Peak District overwhelmingly spent swimming in the pool, lazing by the pool a... walk, Len: 11.3km, Climb: 833m, Area: Sail Mhor, Loch Maree to Loch Broom (Bri

Knocknabro North-East Top: NE Top Revealed
Collaborative entry Last edit by: CaminoPat 3 days ago.
This summit is best reached via Knocknabro West Top. Park at laneway to old farmhouse now in ruin at W15905 83498. Room for 1-2 cars to park. Climb gate at entrance and follow post and wire fence ...

.Lough Oular from Tonlagee
tomlug48 2 days ago.
A beautiful July day on the summit of Tonlagee. Gazing down at the beautiful heart shaped Lough Oular.Tom Barragry & the Brothers of the Lug.

Coastal Dublin - Donabate to Malahide
Onzy 5 days ago.
Circuit of Broadmeadows Estuary from Donabate to Malahide walk, Len: 12.9km, Climb: 115m, Area: Dublin Islands (Ireland)