<< Prev page 1 .. 341 342 343 344 345 346 .. 388 Next page >>
hiker50 - go to Li.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Anybody any idea w.. by NICKY   (Show all posts)
The question of GP.. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
Is it possible to .. by hiker50   (Show all posts)
Here you go !http:.. by loz   (Show all posts)
I was wondering if.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
Any chance the GPS.. by loz   (Show all posts)
Weedaviee, The com.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
Weedavie, do I det.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
weedavie
2007-05-30 12:00:38
Ned Ludd gu brąth
Jaysus, Luddite, I like that after all my attempts to lead the flock to righteousness.

GPS, as Simon says, is already the dominant technology on the hills of these isles. I prefer map and compass, a highly developed mature technology, for a number of reasons. Probably the most important of these is that the thinking mostly takes place on my side of the man-machine interface. This has lots of benefits including a more immediate relationship with and understanding of the ground I travel over. Another major one is its transferability. The only thing I need to do if I'm walking in Greece or Spain is pick up some sort of local map then I'm launched.

I'm not against GPS. I can see me ending up with one at the bottom of my bag along with the head-torch, the survival bag and other things I hope not to use. I do laugh at the correspondence in MV on advanced usage. It's all real hobbyist stuff, overlays, underlays and a deep pile carpet. I'm reminded of a bunch of Morris Minor drivers in the 1960s deliberating the optimum greasing cycle for the nipple thingies they'd to lubricate or their wheels fell off.

I think you've more freedom on the hill with map and compass, although I think that may be just a factor of personality. There are days when you don't know where you're going to walk until you get there and even when you start moving you're still undecided on the chosen hill.

I'd not push the safety factor of compasses too far. I demagnetised a compass this year (though my best bet is I had it too close to my phone, another accursed device.) But after the worst weekend of accidents this winter, the only aspect that mountain rescue really warned about was GPS. Here's the quote and I've referenced the article below.

'However, Mr Ingram said an over-reliance on new technology was becoming an increasingly worrying factor.

He said: "This is a really important point.

"If you have something new learn to use it before going out on to the hill and not go out and then try to learn how to use it. Modern technology is also dependent on batteries.

"It is important to learn to use a bog-standard compass and map and learn to read the features of a hill by looking at the map.

"Modern technology such as GPS should be used as a complement to basic map and compass." '

Beinn Ghobhlach
Peter Walker 9 hours ago.
Beinn Ghobhlach by evening lightWhen you're told that you can do a walk in the morning if you're quick because your o... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 739m, Area: Beinn Ghobhlach, Loch Maree to Loch Broo

Suilven
Peter Walker a day ago.
I first read about Suilven when I was about 11. It was in some British geographical gazetteer, a stern washed-out pict... walk, Len: 24.0km, Climb: 1029m, Area: Lochinver to Ullapool (Britain) Suilve

Slieve Elva: Fantastic scenery
Damian120 a day ago.
A stunning walk going up over Slieve Elva that you can begin and end end at Fanore Beach. Some great locations along the Caher River to stop and relax and watch the water gently flowing downstream...

Maumtrasna Plateau via Dirkbeg and Buckaun Spurs
Onzy 2 days ago.
Route to the Mauntrasna plateau using the Dirkbeg spur for ascent and the Buckaun for descent. walk, Len: 10.8km, Climb: 535m, Area: Maumtrasna North-East Top, Partry/Joyce C...

Lough Oular From Tonlagee
tomlug48 2 days ago.
A beautiful July day on the summit of Tonlagee. Gazing down at the beautiful heart shaped Lough Oular.Tom Barragry & the Lugs .

Knockannavea: Nice views to be had
csd 2 days ago.
While not very challenging, recent felling means the views along the way and from the summit are pleasant enough. A nice spot for a lunchtime walk.

Picos de Europa
peter1 3 days ago.
I can say with certainty three things: the ascent was not 3266m, given the peak is only 2503m; secondly, I will be back walk, Len: 13.9km, Climb: 3266m, Area: Spain, Cantabria ()

Knocknabro East Top: Drought made difficult ground trek possible
Collaborative entry Last edit by: CaminoPat 3 days ago.
Knocknabro East Top is best climbed as part of a good loop walk, taking in the West and North-East tops of Knocknabro. This summit is best reached firstly via Knocknabro West Top and then onto the...

Sail Mhor
Peter Walker 5 days ago.
After a week of blazing sunshine in the Peak District overwhelmingly spent swimming in the pool, lazing by the pool a... walk, Len: 11.3km, Climb: 833m, Area: Sail Mhor, Loch Maree to Loch Broom (Bri

Knocknabro North-East Top: NE Top Revealed
Collaborative entry Last edit by: CaminoPat 3 days ago.
This summit is best reached via Knocknabro West Top. Park at laneway to old farmhouse now in ruin at W15905 83498. Room for 1-2 cars to park. Climb gate at entrance and follow post and wire fence ...

.Lough Oular from Tonlagee
tomlug48 2 days ago.
A beautiful July day on the summit of Tonlagee. Gazing down at the beautiful heart shaped Lough Oular.Tom Barragry & the Brothers of the Lug.

Coastal Dublin - Donabate to Malahide
Onzy 5 days ago.
Circuit of Broadmeadows Estuary from Donabate to Malahide walk, Len: 12.9km, Climb: 115m, Area: Dublin Islands (Ireland)