<< Prev page 1 .. 343 344 345 346 347 348 .. 389 Next page >>
weedavie
2007-05-30 12:00:38
Ned Ludd gu brąth
Jaysus, Luddite, I like that after all my attempts to lead the flock to righteousness.

GPS, as Simon says, is already the dominant technology on the hills of these isles. I prefer map and compass, a highly developed mature technology, for a number of reasons. Probably the most important of these is that the thinking mostly takes place on my side of the man-machine interface. This has lots of benefits including a more immediate relationship with and understanding of the ground I travel over. Another major one is its transferability. The only thing I need to do if I'm walking in Greece or Spain is pick up some sort of local map then I'm launched.

I'm not against GPS. I can see me ending up with one at the bottom of my bag along with the head-torch, the survival bag and other things I hope not to use. I do laugh at the correspondence in MV on advanced usage. It's all real hobbyist stuff, overlays, underlays and a deep pile carpet. I'm reminded of a bunch of Morris Minor drivers in the 1960s deliberating the optimum greasing cycle for the nipple thingies they'd to lubricate or their wheels fell off.

I think you've more freedom on the hill with map and compass, although I think that may be just a factor of personality. There are days when you don't know where you're going to walk until you get there and even when you start moving you're still undecided on the chosen hill.

I'd not push the safety factor of compasses too far. I demagnetised a compass this year (though my best bet is I had it too close to my phone, another accursed device.) But after the worst weekend of accidents this winter, the only aspect that mountain rescue really warned about was GPS. Here's the quote and I've referenced the article below.

'However, Mr Ingram said an over-reliance on new technology was becoming an increasingly worrying factor.

He said: "This is a really important point.

"If you have something new learn to use it before going out on to the hill and not go out and then try to learn how to use it. Modern technology is also dependent on batteries.

"It is important to learn to use a bog-standard compass and map and learn to read the features of a hill by looking at the map.

"Modern technology such as GPS should be used as a complement to basic map and compass." '

There’s one thing .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Beckett, what a fa.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
Some time ago we p.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
This mountain will.. by NICKY   (Show all posts)
Some young relativ.. by Steveone   (Show all posts)
Thanks for the adv.. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
Alex if you want t.. by NICKY   (Show all posts)
I'm always looking.. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
hi, I'm coming ove.. by LEgan   (Show all posts)

Reflections
mcrtchly 18 hours ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 4 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Cush: rest test rest
test test test

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Cush: rest test rest
test test test test

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 3 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.