<< Prev page 1 .. 222 223 224 225 226 227 .. 389 Next page >>
Brenno, I sympathi.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
Just 3 months afte.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
kernowclimber
2010-12-21 11:21:12
May you make many Lightening Ascents!
Glad you like your new snowshoes, Weedavie! And yes, MSR have a base in Ireland. They are excellent and repaired a snapped crampon on Martin's snowshoe within 24 hours.

So you have given your pair a baptism of fire out on the Scottish hills. I bet that you were glad you didn't go for a cheaper end shoe and opted for one with an 'aggressive crampon unit'! Going downhill is always fun - I tend to glisade a little in them if the snow is very deep, but on our hills you have to be aware of hidden rocks and other obstacles. I agree, traversing in them is somewhat more difficult, but I have gotten used to this now, it's a lot to do with balance and I don't tend to use poles out on the hills. I tested my snowshoes out in the Mournes this weekend, wearing them for half of the trip, and I agree with your observation that there isn't a significant difference in the speed between using them and wearing just boots. But I would say that wearing snowshoes is much less tiring than treading through shin deep snow in boots, you fall over less and I certainly feel more confident knowing I have a crampon unit underfoot!

Snowshoes were designed primarily for traversing deepish snow, not rocky terrain with a thin layer of the stuff. Here one might be better off in just 4 season boots, or if icy, crampons. With the amount of snow we have here in Wicklow today, I might need mine just to walk down the hill to Tescos!!
“Speed training. W.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
I emerged from beh.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Thanks, Kernowclim.. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
GPS Emerald Island.. by Pazapas   (Show all posts)
... by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Bleck Cra, you are.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
I spied him with h.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)

Reflections
mcrtchly 13 hours ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 4 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Cush: rest test rest
test test test

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Cush: rest test rest
test test test test

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 3 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.