<< Prev page 1 .. 349 350 351 352 353 354 .. 389 Next page >>
beckett
2007-03-29 09:38:48
Re: GPS maps
Just to add some detail to my comment regarding creating Garmin maps. I take the SMC data. Load it up in MapEdit. I then trim the map down to a particular area, say the Galty Mountains. I take the paper OS map for the area and scan it into a tiff format. I then calibrate the scanned image in OziExplorer. The calibrated map can then be added to the Galty mountains contour data. Using the calibrated map as a base I then add a new level to the Galty mountains contour map and start tracing polygons, polylines and points of interest in to the new level. When this process is complete I compile the map as a Garmin image file using cGPSmapper, add it to mapsource and download it to the GPS. You end up with a detailed map with approach roads, water features, tracks and other points of interest that you gleaned from the OS map. When I walk I gather other features, for example, new tracks, streams etc. I then update the map with these over time and the map grows into a really useful topographical map of the area. The software I mentioned is freely available on the web. Some of the free editions have limited features, but they work fine for my purposes. The process seems involved, but it is actually relatively simple once you have done it a few times.
Beckett, your indi.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
I debated buying a.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
Erratics are a geo.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
As far as I am con.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Another unsuccessf.. by HTWB   (Show all posts)
At 258m Westmeath .. by Moac   (Show all posts)
To give a short re.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
Hi all. I've been .. by Michael McA   (Show all posts)
Google Earth is a .. by Alex92   (Show all posts)

Reflections
mcrtchly 13 hours ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 4 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Cush: rest test rest
test test test

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Cush: rest test rest
test test test test

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 3 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.