<< Prev page 1 .. 354 355 356 357 358 359 .. 390 Next page >>
I would be extreme.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
jim holmes
2007-01-27 18:02:09
"Mullaghcleevaun" from jim holmes Contract pics
Picture: Mullaghcleevaun (Contract pics)

Billy Byrne's Gap
Being reasonably au fait with most of the summits in Wicklow, on Wednesday last I took my weekly bogtrot to somewhere where I’ve always pondered on, but alas to where I’ve never actually physically been….Billy Byrne’s Gap. Now whilst all the surrounding hills have enjoyed the proverbial blister or two, I never did have rhyme nor reason to potter this piece of the hillwalkers heaven.
Starting from the parking area north of Black Hill a gentle pace took me over Black Hill itself and then on to Moanbane. Relatively quickly on my approach to Moanbane (from about 500m altitude and up) grassy bogland turned to a blanket of snow with a hardened ice crust. This was the making of a wonderful afternoons rambling with the snow giving an almost clean/sterile glow (never did like those mucky sports like rugby) to the day that was in it, despite little or no “Blue” to the skies above.
And here is where my pondering begins…this may very well be an ill-informed question but who was “Billy Byrne” and why was this his Gap? No doubt this has already been answered, most probably in this very forum…..still as I continued on and battled the deepening snowy slopes of Mullaghcleevaun this became an ever burning conundrum to me. This, and why I hadn’t brought crampons, oxygen regulator, oxygen bottles…..oh and a helicopter would have been of use too.
On the summit of Mullaghcleevaun I allowed myself 10mins. break (darkness would only be an hour away) gave a toast to Billy Byrne (Hot Chocolate…...not of the “sexy thing” nature) and wondered how I would work the heater in my helicopter and where did I park it……? No I remember now….that was the high altitude starting to take over.
“Today we are in t.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
I have been trying.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
oliver
ive.. by woody   (Show all posts)
Starting at Shramo.. by oliver fenton   (Show all posts)
Simon3, weedavie,.. by dhmiriam   (Show all posts)
I am currently wor.. by nagirock   (Show all posts)
Prompted by the su.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
Padodes, Robroying.. by weedavie   (Show all posts)

Re: Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon
Peter Walker 15 hours ago.
Hi daithi07The 'what's left to do in Ireland' article currently lives largely in my head rather than anywhere more tangible. It will see the light of day at some point in the next few months. I am...

12 (Listed) Bens - Revisited
GSheehy a day ago.
I was drawn back by the lure of completing the 2002 - 12 Bens Challenge route. I got the details from John J. Cotter w... walk, Len: 29.1km, Climb: 2598m, Area: Benglenisky, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Ben

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Paou to Chorto return
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 8.3km, Climb: 237m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Affisos to Afetes return (2)
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 9.7km, Climb: 458m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Big Collin: Permission required?
StephenMullin a week ago.
Hi thereCan anybody tell me if permission is required to walk up Big Collin? If so, how does one go about obtaining this?Many thanks!

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Portaria Circuit
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 14.3km, Climb: 644m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Knockroe: Where Summits relocate with No Plate Movement
CaminoPat 3 days ago.
Knockroe summit is listed as being located in County Cork. The correct location however is County Waterford. Déise abú.

Anglesey Mountain: Great Carlingford views from a so-so top
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
There is enough space to park one car at 100 167, just on the edge of a wood around a sharp u-bend. Proceed north for 100m before turning NE up a gentle slope, although the terrain is treacherous ...

Pigeon Rock Mountain South Top: Nondescript summit for baggers only
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
Usually done in conjunction with Pigeon Rock itself, but can be done in isolation if you want. Car park can be found at 234 278 A. Take the track directly across the road that follows the Rocky Ri...

Greek Islands: Kos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 5.8km, Climb: 381m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()

Wee Slievemoughan: The ups and downs
Colin Murphy a week ago.
Approaching from Rocky Mountain summit requires a bit of up-and-down trekking, as it is necessary to first ascend Tornamrock and then drop down again to a the col to the south before ascending Wee...

Greek Islands: Kalymnos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 1.8km, Climb: 183m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()