<< Prev page 1 .. 366 367 368 369 370 371 .. 389 Next page >>
It is ten past two.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
when walking in th.. by leenan   (Show all posts)
Thank's for all th.. by loz   (Show all posts)
Just a quick plug .. by johnvbrennan   (Show all posts)
Not sure but am go.. by campbellu   (Show all posts)
‘bout ye Michael M.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Forgive me for ask.. by marylee   (Show all posts)
Mr. Dick Roche TD,.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Hello All,While on.. by loz   (Show all posts)
Bleck Cra
2006-03-26 22:47:12
"Fan of the Flames" from Bleck Cra Contract pics
Picture: Fan of the Flames (Contract pics)

All Burned Out
This week, a couple of wee hoods set fire to a bit of Donard, ignition point somewhere off the Bloody Bridge. No sooner than the whins were up, than wails of indignation weighed in from the defenders of my natural heritage. “Irreparable damage blah … ozone layer blah … our children’s children blah ….. and nuclear winter blah blah.” Would that God and his entire retinue spare us from this self-satisfied humbug. The honest Joe excepted. Misanthropes who float from one malign or misguided cause, from “Save the Whelk” to Oswald Moseley’s Fascist Party as seamlessly as snakeskin. Who represent my interests - no they don’t; who speak on my behalf - no they don’t.; who clamber back into their shooting brakes and canter off to the next begrudgery. Do I hear “foul” from them over the €ms worth of soulless roads that deliver them warm and replete to their Rights of Way, the grotesque apartments sprouting across sensitive skylines for them to dry their boots in and convene their power-struggles? This self-appointed defence of my natural heritage is uninvited and unwelcome - it gives me a name as a whining, trouble-making lefty, a work-shy swampy, and worst of all has me loathed, by default, by landowners the island over. So are we to encourage wee S-faced hoods to burn the whins on Slieve Donard, wee directionless, disaffected, aimless hoods? Nope. As for I.B Gurney? The devil makes work for ALL idle hands. This marshmallow-toasting mischief will not diminish the environment irreparably, it will in fact not make a blind bit of difference to it - although next Spring we may hear the magical “whirr guck guck guck” of a Red Grouse. Gurney will be back on the telly taking the credit.

Reflections
mcrtchly 13 hours ago.
The island of Senja in Arctic Norway has a compact range of mountains made more spectacular by the dramatic coastal setting. Tungeneset is a highly photogenic spot giving glorious coastal views of...

Mullagh More and Sliabh Rua
A leisurely walk in one of the most amazing areas in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter. The route took me to the to... walk, Len: 7.9km, Climb: 316m, Area: Mullagh More, West Clare (Ireland) Mulla

Benbaun via Knockpasheemore
A relatively easy way up to Benbaun, the Co Galway high point, although it is a steep pull up to Binn Charrach/Knockpa... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 797m, Area: Binn Charrach, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Bi

Slieve Beg: Stared down the Devil's Coachroad and decided he can have it
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
I know that people scramble up the Devil's Coachroad though the mechanics of actually getting up the top part elude me. Braver men than I! Standing on top of Beg, looking down the massive gulley i...

Cove Mountain: Return to Cove!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Today was the second time I have visited Cove. Anyone who read my first comment will know my first visit was alone and an altogether nervous affair. Well, the return was a much better experience. ...

Chimney Rock Mountain: Great reward for little effort!
PinkyFloyd 2 days ago.
Getting to the top of Chimney Rock doesn't take long and isn't too arduous. The views from the top are stupendous though and you'll be glad you climbed it. The rocks at the top help make this moun...

Muck to Meelmore Loop
Bunsen7 4 days ago.
A track that's very easy to follow, with good parking, 3 highest hundred summits for less than 900m of ascent, but do... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 874m, Area: Slieve Muck, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Cush: rest test rest
test test test

Pic de Lustou
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A fantastic, hard-won summit, a relentless, never-ending haul up followed by some easy but somewhat exposed scrambling o walk, Len: 14.7km, Climb: 1684m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Cush: rest test rest
test test test test

Upper Glencoaghan Valley's swollen streams pose potential hazard
Bunsen7 a week ago.
The weather was forecast as changeable. We started the horseshoe in a clockwise direction from Ben Lettery in relative... walk, Len: 12.8km, Climb: 1154m, Area: Benlettery, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benl

Truskmore SE Cairn: Letrim - County high point - Done with my Grandad
ShaunDunne 3 days ago.
While climbing Truskmore my Grandad and I walked over and bagged our Second County high point of the day. Was very windy and wet up there today.