<< Prev page 1 .. 278 279 280 281 282 283 .. 390 Next page >>
Galtymore is amazi.. by tmaher33   (Show all posts)
Some time-n-spacem.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Like many I had mi.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Climb towards Tros.. by Howmanyminutes   (Show all posts)
New Years Day Run... by Howmanyminutes   (Show all posts)
Went up lug from F.. by dsc555   (Show all posts)
wicklore
2009-12-27 18:48:44
"What it Looks Like" from wicklore Contract pics
Picture: What it Looks Like (Contract pics)

Review of a handy coordinates converter
I got a handy iPhone application last week that would be a useful addition for any walkers with an iPhone. It is called OS Grid to GPS Coordinate Converter, and it was only 79 cents. It does exactly what is says on the tin - you can key in the grid ref from your OS map or hiking gps - say a walk starting point on a road - and it will convert to the coordinates that car sat-nav units use. You can then input into your sat-nav and navigate to that spot. This is handy as it prevents you from having to spend time working out the driving route in detail to reach a starting point. There are many who shun modern technology and pray for the day the satellites will fall from the sky. If you are the type of person who only uses paper maps then skip this report. If you have a gps then read on..

I used it recently by inputting the grid reference Harry Goodman gave for the access road for Carrigatuke in the Cooley/Gullions. (H90203 31736) This converted to 6 37 00W 54 13 35N. I input this into my car sat nav and it brought me precisely there!

It has another use. It is generally agreed that giving grid refs when posting reports on MV is useful. But not everyone has a gps, or wants to work out grid references from the map. This application can capture grid refs at any place, which could subsequently be used in walk reports. I found it to be accurate to within 45 metres which is not a bad margin for recording summit information. Equally, if you use your car sat-nav to record a location, you can convert these units into the OS grid reference so you can look it up on your OS map later. (I once took my car sat-nav up Carrick Mountain when I forgot my regular gps. I recorded the summit coordinates on it but had difficulty converting to the OS grid reference afterwards. This application answers this problem!)

It seems daft that car sat-navs cant operate in both Irish Grid and GPS coordinates. Until they do, this application will bridge that gap by converting between the two. And it's only 79 cents!
Wishing all of the.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
The Gardai spent m.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Would anyone know .. by Tom Milligan   (Show all posts)

12 (Listed) Bens - Revisited
GSheehy 16 hours ago.
I was drawn back by the lure of completing the 2002 - 12 Bens Challenge route. I got the details from John J. Cotter w... walk, Len: 29.1km, Climb: 2598m, Area: Benglenisky, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Ben

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Paou to Chorto return
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 8.3km, Climb: 237m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Affisos to Afetes return (2)
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 9.7km, Climb: 458m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Big Collin: Permission required?
StephenMullin a week ago.
Hi thereCan anybody tell me if permission is required to walk up Big Collin? If so, how does one go about obtaining this?Many thanks!

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Portaria Circuit
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 14.3km, Climb: 644m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Knockroe: Where Summits relocate with No Plate Movement
CaminoPat 2 days ago.
Knockroe summit is listed as being located in County Cork. The correct location however is County Waterford. Déise abú.

Anglesey Mountain: Great Carlingford views from a so-so top
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
There is enough space to park one car at 100 167, just on the edge of a wood around a sharp u-bend. Proceed north for 100m before turning NE up a gentle slope, although the terrain is treacherous ...

Pigeon Rock Mountain South Top: Nondescript summit for baggers only
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
Usually done in conjunction with Pigeon Rock itself, but can be done in isolation if you want. Car park can be found at 234 278 A. Take the track directly across the road that follows the Rocky Ri...

Greek Islands: Kos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 5.8km, Climb: 381m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()

Wee Slievemoughan: The ups and downs
Colin Murphy a week ago.
Approaching from Rocky Mountain summit requires a bit of up-and-down trekking, as it is necessary to first ascend Tornamrock and then drop down again to a the col to the south before ascending Wee...

Greek Islands: Kalymnos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 1.8km, Climb: 183m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()

Rocky Mountain: Pony express
Colin Murphy a week ago.
Seeing a group of about 7 or 8 ponies at the top of a mountain was a first for me. I did a little research and apparently these animals are wild, (according to a NI veterinarian group.) I also dis...