<< Prev page 1 .. 279 280 281 282 283 284 .. 390 Next page >>
Busy start to Chri.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Rather than furtiv.. by madfrankie   (Show all posts)
There have been so.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Does anybody know .. by bonbe   (Show all posts)
While processing a.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
dr_banuska, I am s.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Sometimes I wonder.. by dr_banuska   (Show all posts)
I am a French woma.. by annies   (Show all posts)
Being looking at s.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
weedavie
2009-12-09 12:41:44
"Working Hard" from weedavie Contract pics
Picture: Working Hard (Contract pics)

Crampons 2
Conor, I think the drift of your question is whether there's a way of getting through deep snow without getting totally knackered. Well, there isn't really. Last weekend was superb for us as well, tons of snow, zero tempeature and no wind at all. After a 300 metre reascent through snow to an Caisteal I was sweating and down to a t-shirt approaching the summit. A party was descending in goggles, fur and anorak. Ronnie muttered "It's Baywatch meets Scott of the Antarctic".

It feels superb being the first on a hill and breaking snow but it's simply hard work. Experience'll let you judge the shallowest or firmest snow. The worst is stuff that takes your weight, then collapses. That'll reduce you to tears. Following another party is easier because they've done the work. Equally if you're not walking alone, swapping the lead every 100 paces gives a rest. Make sure everyone takes their turn. Gordon, Ronnie and I had worked up to the bealach in Gleann Taitnaich in deep snow with Ronnie and I sharing the lead. Just before we reached the top Gordon said "Oh are you swapping around?" and led the last 50 metres. We've referred to this sort of crime as Taitniching ever since.

I've not encountered equipment that works (though I've never seen snowshoes). I once saw a guy with touring skis who was impressive but he looked highly skilled. Mostly, snow conditions being what they are, ice, crust etc., the ski tourists are even slower and sweatier than the rest of us.

12 (Listed) Bens - Revisited
GSheehy 15 hours ago.
I was drawn back by the lure of completing the 2002 - 12 Bens Challenge route. I got the details from John J. Cotter w... walk, Len: 29.1km, Climb: 2598m, Area: Benglenisky, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Ben

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Paou to Chorto return
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 8.3km, Climb: 237m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Affisos to Afetes return (2)
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 9.7km, Climb: 458m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Big Collin: Permission required?
StephenMullin a week ago.
Hi thereCan anybody tell me if permission is required to walk up Big Collin? If so, how does one go about obtaining this?Many thanks!

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Portaria Circuit
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 14.3km, Climb: 644m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Knockroe: Where Summits relocate with No Plate Movement
CaminoPat 2 days ago.
Knockroe summit is listed as being located in County Cork. The correct location however is County Waterford. Déise abú.

Anglesey Mountain: Great Carlingford views from a so-so top
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
There is enough space to park one car at 100 167, just on the edge of a wood around a sharp u-bend. Proceed north for 100m before turning NE up a gentle slope, although the terrain is treacherous ...

Pigeon Rock Mountain South Top: Nondescript summit for baggers only
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
Usually done in conjunction with Pigeon Rock itself, but can be done in isolation if you want. Car park can be found at 234 278 A. Take the track directly across the road that follows the Rocky Ri...

Greek Islands: Kos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 5.8km, Climb: 381m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()

Wee Slievemoughan: The ups and downs
Colin Murphy a week ago.
Approaching from Rocky Mountain summit requires a bit of up-and-down trekking, as it is necessary to first ascend Tornamrock and then drop down again to a the col to the south before ascending Wee...

Greek Islands: Kalymnos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 1.8km, Climb: 183m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()

Rocky Mountain: Pony express
Colin Murphy a week ago.
Seeing a group of about 7 or 8 ponies at the top of a mountain was a first for me. I did a little research and apparently these animals are wild, (according to a NI veterinarian group.) I also dis...