<< Prev page 1 .. 296 297 298 299 300 301 .. 390 Next page >>
Padodes, have you .. by pdtempan   (Show all posts)
When you look at a.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
Funnily enough, I .. by pdtempan   (Show all posts)
Ran (stumbled!!) u.. by Howmanyminutes   (Show all posts)
Help/Advice please.. by Geo   (Show all posts)
Wife bought Columb.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
simon3
2009-06-02 16:57:20
"Before Sunrise" from simon3 Contract pics
Picture: Before Sunrise (Contract pics)

Sun Pillar
Some while before sunrise on the last day of May 09 I saw this odd phenomena in the Dingle sky. Although I've seen many of the unusual atmospheric phenomena like Brocken Spectre or crepuscular rays, I don't recall seeing anything quite like this before.

There's some very reddish sky, clouds and a few aircraft contrails (so common over Dingle.) However the broad, bright vertical shape is unusual in the pre-dawn sky. It turns out it is a "Sun Pillar". From the Atmospheric Optics website "They are narrow columns of light apparently beaming directly up and sometimes downwards from the sun. They can be 5 -10º tall and occasionally even higher. Pillars are not actually vertical rays, they are instead the collective glints of millions of ice crystals. Pillars take on the colours of the sun and clouds, they can appear white and at other times shades of yellow, red or purple."

Now, I'd love to tell you that I had climbed one of the 800's thereabouts and had been waiting patiently for hours for such a vision. However the truth was it was a flooky view out of the B&B window. I can also tell that there was no tinkering with the colour in photoshop - it really was that red at 04:45. There's more at http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/pilpic8.htm
I went down yester.. by StephenRyan   (Show all posts)
I commented a few .. by padodes   (Show all posts)
Yes, I'm aware of .. by pdtempan   (Show all posts)

Re: Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon
Peter Walker 16 hours ago.
Hi daithi07The 'what's left to do in Ireland' article currently lives largely in my head rather than anywhere more tangible. It will see the light of day at some point in the next few months. I am...

12 (Listed) Bens - Revisited
GSheehy a day ago.
I was drawn back by the lure of completing the 2002 - 12 Bens Challenge route. I got the details from John J. Cotter w... walk, Len: 29.1km, Climb: 2598m, Area: Benglenisky, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Ben

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Paou to Chorto return
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 8.3km, Climb: 237m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Affisos to Afetes return (2)
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 9.7km, Climb: 458m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Big Collin: Permission required?
StephenMullin a week ago.
Hi thereCan anybody tell me if permission is required to walk up Big Collin? If so, how does one go about obtaining this?Many thanks!

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Portaria Circuit
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 14.3km, Climb: 644m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Knockroe: Where Summits relocate with No Plate Movement
CaminoPat 3 days ago.
Knockroe summit is listed as being located in County Cork. The correct location however is County Waterford. Déise abú.

Anglesey Mountain: Great Carlingford views from a so-so top
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
There is enough space to park one car at 100 167, just on the edge of a wood around a sharp u-bend. Proceed north for 100m before turning NE up a gentle slope, although the terrain is treacherous ...

Pigeon Rock Mountain South Top: Nondescript summit for baggers only
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
Usually done in conjunction with Pigeon Rock itself, but can be done in isolation if you want. Car park can be found at 234 278 A. Take the track directly across the road that follows the Rocky Ri...

Greek Islands: Kos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 5.8km, Climb: 381m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()

Wee Slievemoughan: The ups and downs
Colin Murphy a week ago.
Approaching from Rocky Mountain summit requires a bit of up-and-down trekking, as it is necessary to first ascend Tornamrock and then drop down again to a the col to the south before ascending Wee...

Greek Islands: Kalymnos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 1.8km, Climb: 183m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()