<< Prev page 1 .. 303 304 305 306 307 308 .. 394 Next page >>
The arrival a few .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Ireland Map v1.91 .. by pazapas   (Show all posts)
For once no jokes .. by maclimber   (Show all posts)
Roll up get your b.. by maclimber   (Show all posts)
A Mournes run out .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
wicklore
2009-04-27 20:15:15
"Terror on Cuilcagh" from wicklore Contract pics
Picture: Terror on Cuilcagh (Contract pics)

When Sheep Attack
Yes simon3, I understand the pure terror of being attacked by mild-mannered creatures most unexpectedly. . .

‘Twas late one evening a couple of years ago. While descending Cuilcagh via Benbeg, I walked down a track in the gathering gloom. I thought I heard quiet footsteps behind me. Not human footsteps mind you, more like an evil entity trying to sneak up on me. I looked back but saw nothing. As I moved forward, the noise of Something behind me could be heard once again. Whirling around, I was just in time to see the bushes quiver where Something had just ducked out of sight. Realising that Something had me in its sights, I took out my only weapon - a bag of fruit and nut mix. Attack is the best form of defence, so I chucked a few at the bushes. Was that a strangled ‘Baa’ sound I heard?

Quickening my pace I hurried down the track. Now the sound of following feet multiplied and the ground shook as all the Creatures of the Night joined in the chase. Accepting that I was doomed, I grabbed my camera from my pocket and whirled around to take a photo. If they didn’t eat my camera at least there would be some evidence of what had befallen me. Lo and behold! - the accompanying picture shows the Terrors of Cuilcagh that stalked me that fearful night. Look beyond the nearest hungry Beast and see the eyes of all of Its evil companions glowing behind. Bear Grylls wouldn’t have had a chance! Through ingenuity and guile (i.e. running away), I somehow survived and tucked this rare photo away; waiting for the time when it wouldn’t be shameful to admit to this night of knee-trembling fear. And that time has surely come, when it can be admitted on MV that a little pheasant could chase away the mighty simon3 & co!
Researching a rout.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Just to follow up .. by csd   (Show all posts)
Got back to my car.. by paddyhillsbagger   (Show all posts)
Version 1.90 is av.. by pazapas   (Show all posts)

More Mount Brandon
tomlug48 8 hours ago.
On the way to the summit

Binn Charrach: NE finger from the Twelve Bens offers a way in.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 16 hours ago.
Knockpasheemore (Binn Charrach) is a small summit at the end of a 2km ridge heading NE from the lower scree slopes of Benbaun, and makes a worthwhile climb either in its own right, or as a diversi...

Bencorrbeg: Shapely outlier, serious scrambling.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 17 hours ago.
Bencorbeg dominates views from the mouth of the Gleninagh Valley. Although only 577m, the full extent of this height is seen when the mountain is viewed from north or east, as the mountain plunges...

Inis Leacan: Island south of Roundstone.
Inishlacken is a small island south of Roundstone. Here it is viewed from Inishnee.

Oileán an Chlaí: Island in Bertraghboy Bay
Oghly Island is around 250m from the driveable Inishnee island.

Beast of Bencorrbeg tackled from the south.
As many others have said Bencorrbeg is a serious scrambling challenge. This track was an attempt to reach it from the ... walk, Len: 14.0km, Climb: 669m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Lettershinna Hill: Grass top, distant heights.
As paddyhillsbagger found, the Bens form a backdrop to the top of Lettershinna. This picture was taken during a generally mist covered period one May day.

Wicklow: Glenmalure to Glendalough
Onzy 4 days ago.
Glenmalure to Glendalough viw Wicklow Way & the Spinc... walk, Len: 11.3km, Climb: 540m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)

The Heights of Malta
madfrankie 3 days ago.
When you're considering hiking trips abroad, Malta is not likely to be high on anyone's list. It's small and the human f walk, Len: 8.4km, Climb: 40m, Area: Malta, Dingli ()

Benglenisky: Southern Bens easiest way up.
Collaborative entry Last edit by: simon3 3 days ago.
Driving towards Clifden along the N59, go 2km past the Benlettery Hostel and take the minor road on the right. I.5km along this, at point L750 499, there is a large space for parking on the right,...

Waterfalls Galore
march-fixer 4 days ago.
There are two major waterfalls in Jamaica. Dunn's River Falls and Reach Falls. Reach Falls is by far the most beautiful walk, Len: 6.2km, Climb: 109m, Area: Jamaica, Portland ()

Binn Bhriocáin: Rocky top from afar.
The rocky top of Letterbreckaun viewed from Bencorrbeg in the Twelve Bens which is 4.5km away.