<< Prev page 1 .. 382 383 384 385 386 387 .. 390 Next page >>
Greetings Bleck an.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
simon3
2005-04-20 13:07:20
Whether Forecast
oh I loved that one Bleck!
my principle in walking in Wicklow has always been to disregard the weatherman and wait to see what I encounter

a. if you believe a bad weather forecast that turns out to be incorrect, you have missed a walk

b. when predicted, bad weather usually appears in showers which are easily dealt with

c. if you encounter continuous rain this is usually apparent before you start and you can do something different

d. if it really is unpleasant you can change your route and go home, often in Wicklow by setting your compass or GPS to the starting point

On average I would say the weather seriously stops me only about 2 weeks a year.

However this simple principle don't necessarily work elsewhere. I will never forget walking for 10 hours in the rain on the 'Turks in 1995. 450 people started (far too many) and only about 80 finished as far as I remember. I had become so cold that about two hours after finishing the walk I started to get spasms. You know stitches in your side or in your legs? Well this was in each and every limb. My entire body became rigid. For many of the wilder places, unlike most of Wicklow, it is quite difficult to leave an area, particularly if your transport is to the north or east of the range. Wicklow's mountains may have been 2500m high once but nowadays the flattened stumps left after 350m years of erosion don't offer as many serious cliffs as elsewhere..

It may have been snowing in the north but in Wicklow it was a continuous downpour. I see from john_desmond's comments however that the Comeraghs were actually clear!
GB bemoans the dem.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
I had the misfortu.. by johnvbrennan   (Show all posts)
Everpresent - I'v.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
Hello everpresent... by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Any more tricks of.. by Claude Hopper   (Show all posts)
Yes Speedo indeed .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Caked grey ice clu.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Ahh, whin. Whin (.. by simon3   (Show all posts)

Re: Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon
Peter Walker 11 hours ago.
Hi daithi07The 'what's left to do in Ireland' article currently lives largely in my head rather than anywhere more tangible. It will see the light of day at some point in the next few months. I am...

12 (Listed) Bens - Revisited
GSheehy a day ago.
I was drawn back by the lure of completing the 2002 - 12 Bens Challenge route. I got the details from John J. Cotter w... walk, Len: 29.1km, Climb: 2598m, Area: Benglenisky, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Ben

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Paou to Chorto return
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 8.3km, Climb: 237m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Affisos to Afetes return (2)
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 9.7km, Climb: 458m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Big Collin: Permission required?
StephenMullin a week ago.
Hi thereCan anybody tell me if permission is required to walk up Big Collin? If so, how does one go about obtaining this?Many thanks!

Greece, Pelion Peninsula: Portaria Circuit
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 14.3km, Climb: 644m, Area: Greece, Thessaly ()

Knockroe: Where Summits relocate with No Plate Movement
CaminoPat 3 days ago.
Knockroe summit is listed as being located in County Cork. The correct location however is County Waterford. Déise abú.

Anglesey Mountain: Great Carlingford views from a so-so top
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
There is enough space to park one car at 100 167, just on the edge of a wood around a sharp u-bend. Proceed north for 100m before turning NE up a gentle slope, although the terrain is treacherous ...

Pigeon Rock Mountain South Top: Nondescript summit for baggers only
Collaborative entry Last edit by: Colin Murphy a week ago.
Usually done in conjunction with Pigeon Rock itself, but can be done in isolation if you want. Car park can be found at 234 278 A. Take the track directly across the road that follows the Rocky Ri...

Greek Islands: Kos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 5.8km, Climb: 381m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()

Wee Slievemoughan: The ups and downs
Colin Murphy a week ago.
Approaching from Rocky Mountain summit requires a bit of up-and-down trekking, as it is necessary to first ascend Tornamrock and then drop down again to a the col to the south before ascending Wee...

Greek Islands: Kalymnos
Onzy a week ago.
walk, Len: 1.8km, Climb: 183m, Area: Greece, South Aegean ()