<< Prev page 1 .. 291 292 293 294 295 296 .. 366 Next page >>
2008-11-30 00:19:20
"Jim the Antrim Gully Man" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
Jim the Antrim Gully Man (Expand pics)
Mourne Traffic Chaos
I spent over an hour and a half sitting in an almost stationary car on the M1 just before the border this morning on my way to the Mournes. When movement came it was a miserable crawl.
I phoned Dundalk Garda station and was cheerfully informed that this was a regular occurrence due to a combination of road works near Newry and the massive influx of southern shoppers looking for bargains. I was a bit incensed to discover that by the time one came to an EXPECT DELAYS sign, one had already been trapped for ages, and that there was no possible escape..I have no doubt that there were thousands of cars stuck in that jam. Surely we should have been seeing warnings all the way along the road, thus alowing one to exit the M1 and head for Crossmaglen ( although the very name strikes terror in my heart) or some such place. Imagine if a woman had gone into labour! Anyway I eventually got through Newry and out to the Mournes. It was almost midday, instead of half nine. (SUGGESTION http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/254215)But conditions were awesome. Heavy frost, bright sunshine and wisps of fog. I intend to write up my trip to Doan and Crom, but meanwhile may I simply say that I met two other lone walkers at different times. Jim from Antrim emerged onto the summit of Doan as I was having my lunch on that exceptional peak in perfect conditions. We got chatting and walked over to Ben Crom. That's Jim in the photo. He casually mentioned that he had ascended the gully just to the left of the Crom summit previously. Later, when he had moved on, I peeped over the edge of the gully and almost defecated immediately. It was TERRIFYING. How could a human being subject themselves to such a horror? Here's to you Jim and I hope you followed my advice and looked up this site. Later I met David Gordon (originally from Cavan) at the saddle between Carn and S.Loughshannagh. We had a great chat as we descended the dangerously icy path towards the Ott Car Park in the gathering gloom. The company, in both cases, was most enjoyable. David proved a great help when I couldn't open my car door because the key wouldn't turn the frozen lock. He simply poured hot tea from his flask onto the unyielding metal!!
Climbed this mount.. by korff o'barbunk   (Show all posts)
Thanks pdtempan fo.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Many thanks, John,.. by pdtempan   (Show all posts)
Vertigo's talking .. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
Hi Wicklore, regar.. by pdtempan   (Show all posts)
In response to pad.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
I see from Captain.. by pdtempan   (Show all posts)
I do not set out t.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Today’s Eirish Tim.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)

Castle Hill
Onzy less than an hour ago.
Up and down Castle Hill. Essentially a duplicate of track 2048, but substantially shorter as I parked blocking a gate wi walk, Len: 4.8km, Climb: 398m, Area: Slieve Mish (Ireland)

Caha Mountains: Tooreennamna
Onzy an hour ago.
Route taking in Tooreenamna, an outlier to the west of the Cummeenageera circuit and a highly rated hill. walk, Len: 4.5km, Climb: 439m, Area: Tooreennamna, Caha Mountains (Ireland) Too...

Hart Walk
GSheehy 16 hours ago.
{First off, I wasn't with the lads. Just sharing the info.}What?s not to like reading about the trials and tribulation walk, Len: 115.7km, Climb: 3215m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Cloghernagh,

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Torc Mountain W Top: Big brother ....
hivisibility 2 days ago.
Here's a picture of Torc itself from Torc West Top. Approx 600m between the two summits.

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 4 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 5 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela