<< Prev page 1 .. 301 302 303 304 305 306 .. 372 Next page >>
When I recently cl.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Dear walkers,I am .. by Ueli   (Show all posts)
Thanks wicklore fo.. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
I came across a ve.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
The lizard appears.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Hello wicklore. I .. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
Despite hillwalkin.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Thanks jackill. I .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
jackill
2008-09-23 08:30:52
Wicklore/thisbliss, pick up your GPS and walk
Just a word on how Mountainviews determines its GPS co-ords.
The initial readings were basically read from the OS maps and indeed with some of the new summits (e.g from 150m to 499 meters) the data on mountainviews is still mostly from this method. However users have been uploading gps data that they have collected for a number of years. This data is then averaged over the range of values submitted. If you go to a summit and click the "amend" option next to the GPS co-ords you can see who has submitted GPS readings and how many. Mountainviews will not automatically accept co-ords that are over 250 meters from the original summit point but on occasion a case has been made for changes greater than 250 m by users which have been accepted after checking. I have been using the site since 2004 and at the start it was not unusual to find a summit 50 or 60 meters away from the co-ords on Mountainviews but that has improved greatly with the more documented summits now. I use a garmin Gps map60csx with the new contour map by Pazapas (see resources) and the entire summit list from Mountainviews and to be honest I rarely take my os map from my pocket during a hike except for reference and in anycase I have not found OS maps to be infallible either. I think that while a map and compass are still valuable tools we should not be wary of using new technology, huge improvements have and continue to be made, use it to your benefit. The Walkers Association Of Ireland holds regular courses on the use of Gps and Osi Trailmaster which might be of benefit, details are on their website www.walkersassociation.ie. Finally I have the cable you mention which I no longer use you are welcome to have it for free, I will post it to you if you email Simon with your address and he can pass it on to me
Hi thisbliss. I en.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)

Not mountains, but might interest coast lover
Aidy 13 hours ago.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1cedpjs7nwId_STtX9cNIDFoyMnRHtG-I've started a wee project doing photo slideshows on the beaches in Co Donegal. It has unfortunately kept me out of the moun...

Exploring Binevenagh
Peter Walker 20 hours ago.
walk, Len: 8.8km, Climb: 392m, Area: Binevenagh, Keenaght (Ireland) Binevenagh

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy 2 days ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet a week ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet a week ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy a week ago.
A simple little Binnion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need yo...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy a week ago.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman a week ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Downloading Tracks
tomodub a week ago.
Hi Simon3.Success - thank you again all worked out this time.Best wishes,Tomodub

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb a week ago.