<< Prev page 1 .. 303 304 305 306 307 308 .. 373 Next page >>
wicklore
2008-09-22 15:12:45
"Did I find a needle in a haystack when I found my watch on a mountain?" from wicklore Expand pics
Did I find a needle in a haystack when I found my watch on a mountain? (Expand pics)
Using a GPS
I have a Garmin etrex which I take on many hikes. I use it to know my altitude and to mark summits. When I return to previously visited hills I can use the marked summits on the gps to bring me to the summit, or to tell me the exact distance to a previously marked summit. What I DON'T use the GPS for is to programme in coordinates and let it take me there. The reason is that I noticed years ago that the GPS coordinates don't match the summit coordinates and could be off by hundreds of metres. This could lead to missing a summit in bad weather or becoming disoriented. I am happy to use the GPS to retrace my route, and have done this on many occasions. But the big issue for me is: Is my GPS faulty or is an error of several hundred metres the norm? Can it be calibrated to match the OS system of coordinates on the maps? I know that there are new GPS systems that show the map on the screen, but what about my etrex? And while I'm at it, can anyone lend me an etrex cable so I can connect to my computer. I lost mine and they're expensive! (I am in Dublin South) I once lost my watch descending Lugnaquillia via Ballineddin Mountain. The next day I used my GPS to retrace my route and I found my watch about an hour up the mountain. The picture shows the moment of reunification! Does anyone else have such a heart warming GPS story?!!
Where are you goin.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
For all you summit.. by john_desmond   (Show all posts)
When and why did t.. by philclayton   (Show all posts)
Thanks Padodes. I .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Highest point in C.. by hazyview   (Show all posts)
Wicklore, if you g.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
I have a Nikon Coo.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Bit of a long shot.. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
This summerís bad .. by padodes   (Show all posts)

Crazy Hounds
roscorrocket an hour ago.
Only getting round to posting this now, as other factors intervened, but last Friday (July 14th) when coming towards the end of a circuit of five of the Mournes seven sevens, I watched in amazemen...

Curra Hill: Cloudy Climb
andreos97 an hour ago.
Fantastic walk, personally feel it's best starting your approach from Glenbeigh village and heading up through the forest as it's quite well signposted. Once leaving the cover of the trees, we wer...

This just arrived today in the post...
ColinCallanan 10 hours ago.
Thought I'd treat myself to the printed version, and it's good we can support MV in this way. Looking forward to reading all the nice articles in print. There's something nice about reading "off-s...

Day 19 Germany Trip
simoburn 12 hours ago.
walk, Len: 18.6km, Climb: 1844m, Area: Germany, Bavaria ()

Day 17 Germany Trip
simoburn 12 hours ago.
walk, Len: 25.3km, Climb: 1873m, Area: Germany, Bavaria ()

Day 16 Germany Trip
simoburn 12 hours ago.
walk, Len: 28.6km, Climb: 2693m, Area: Germany, Bavaria ()

Day 15 Germany Trip
simoburn 12 hours ago.
walk, Len: 22.0km, Climb: 1941m, Area: Germany, Bavaria ()

Day 13 Germany Trip
simoburn 12 hours ago.
walk, Len: 16.5km, Climb: 1320m, Area: Austria, Vorarlberg ()

Day 12 Germany Trip
simoburn 12 hours ago.
walk, Len: 11.1km, Climb: 1087m, Area: Austria, Vorarlberg ()

Visiting Collon Hill for coastal views.
simon3 13 hours ago.
Most of this track is on forest roads. The final way up leaves the forest road through an area of beech trees. There i... walk, Len: 5.8km, Climb: 193m, Area: Collon Hill, Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Co

Walk up Ballinastraw
simon3 13 hours ago.
This is a straightforward walk to Ballinastraw, a wooded summit as of 2017.Notable is the Eucaylyptus plot near the en... walk, Len: 1.9km, Climb: 48m, Area: Ballinastraw, Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Ba

Courtown/Clones area to Clogga
simon3 13 hours ago.
Beach north of Clones.Lookout Post 10From the Castletown/Clones area the walk north to Kilmichael is reasonably interest walk, Len: 11.6km, Climb: 79m, Area: North Wexford (Ireland)