<< Prev page 1 .. 296 297 298 299 300 301 .. 366 Next page >>
The lizard appears.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Hello wicklore. I .. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
Despite hillwalkin.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Thanks jackill. I .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Just a word on how.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
Hi thisbliss. I en.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Not sure Wicklore,.. by thisbliss   (Show all posts)
2008-09-22 15:12:45
"Did I find a needle in a haystack when I found my watch on a mountain?" from wicklore Expand pics
Did I find a needle in a haystack when I found my watch on a mountain? (Expand pics)
Using a GPS
I have a Garmin etrex which I take on many hikes. I use it to know my altitude and to mark summits. When I return to previously visited hills I can use the marked summits on the gps to bring me to the summit, or to tell me the exact distance to a previously marked summit. What I DON'T use the GPS for is to programme in coordinates and let it take me there. The reason is that I noticed years ago that the GPS coordinates don't match the summit coordinates and could be off by hundreds of metres. This could lead to missing a summit in bad weather or becoming disoriented. I am happy to use the GPS to retrace my route, and have done this on many occasions. But the big issue for me is: Is my GPS faulty or is an error of several hundred metres the norm? Can it be calibrated to match the OS system of coordinates on the maps? I know that there are new GPS systems that show the map on the screen, but what about my etrex? And while I'm at it, can anyone lend me an etrex cable so I can connect to my computer. I lost mine and they're expensive! (I am in Dublin South) I once lost my watch descending Lugnaquillia via Ballineddin Mountain. The next day I used my GPS to retrace my route and I found my watch about an hour up the mountain. The picture shows the moment of reunification! Does anyone else have such a heart warming GPS story?!!
Where are you goin.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
For all you summit.. by john_desmond   (Show all posts)

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility a few minutes ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 21 hours ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy 21 hours ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 21 hours ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 21 hours ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy a day ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 3 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility 21 hours ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 2 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Stumpa Dúloigh SE Top: Fine views to the East...
hivisibility 21 hours ago.
The view to Knocknabreeda, Crossderry and Mothillín as seen from the aooroach to Stúmpa Dúloigh SE Top. Torc in the centre with Mangerton rising over to the right.

Knocknabreeda: View of Carrauntoohil from the summit.
hivisibility 22 hours ago.
Carrauntoohil from Knocknabreeda summit.

Quad bikers in the Mournes
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
Whilst out in the Mournes on Sunday 2nd Oct, at about 8.30am we were shocked to see a group of half a dozen quad bikers powering up the track from the Banns Road towards Lough Shannagh (below Doan...