<< Prev page 1 .. 302 303 304 305 306 307 .. 372 Next page >>
I have a Garmin et.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Where are you goin.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
For all you summit.. by john_desmond   (Show all posts)
When and why did t.. by philclayton   (Show all posts)
Thanks Padodes. I .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Highest point in C.. by hazyview   (Show all posts)
Wicklore, if you g.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
I have a Nikon Coo.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Bit of a long shot.. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
padodes
2008-09-08 15:07:46
"" from padodes Expand pics
(Expand pics)
HDRI
This summer’s bad weather has driven me into the outstretched arms of HDRI. I’ll explain. It all began with the usual vexing problem of trying to accommodate the scattered light of a cloudy sky and the gloom of the earth within the very cramped range of a camera sensor. This problem used to be confined to the winter months, but now, like our dreaded Hospital Bug, its contagion has spread to the summer as well.

It’s true that I could ‘expose for the shadows’, and later, with the magic of manipulation, replace my washed-out Irish sky with the gold of a tropical sunset and even add palm trees to the hilltops to complete the beauty of the scene. But how could I afterwards face the disenchanted Mountain Viewers who had set off with my splendid aesthetic vision before their eyes only to find that its charm was full of dark deceit?

Over the years I have tried all the other stratagems, of course. I have fumbled with GND filters, blended over- and under-exposed photos, and, more recently, embraced RAW with all the fervour of a Knight of the Round Table who has just found the Holy Grail. The success has been modest: about two ‘stops’ more of precious detail. But this summer I met HDRI and things haven’t been quite the same ever since.

HDRI’s full name, High Dynamic Range Imaging, isn’t the most romantic, but don’t let that fool you. Take as many bracketed shots with your camera as are necessary to cover the full dynamic range of the landscape in front of you, present them to HDRI (who dwells in many programmes, some of them freeware), and watch how they merge to form a mysterious 32-bit image - with the full tonal values of each separate photo - that can then be ‘tone-mapped’ to appear in all its vivid glory on your 8-bit monitor. Not all is perfect, perhaps. The contrast has been softened, the appearance may be ‘painterly’, but there you have your sky with all its texture and the earth with all its colour.

Now I look forward to the overcast days, full of impossible contrast. HDRI handles it all with luminous elegance. The photo I attach was taken on one such day, looking across to Ireland’s Eye from Howth Head. It was my first gauche overture to HDRI, and since then nothing has cast a shadow on our growing infatuation.

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark
simon3 6 hours ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 3 days ago.

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 2 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 3 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 3 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 3 days ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 2 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 3 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...

Lettercallow: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
By parking at L8760028966 you can walk on to open hillside with no access issues . A gentle accent to the summit area which unlike its nearest neighbour has no seating arrangements for the visitor...