<< Prev page 1 .. 297 298 299 300 301 302 .. 366 Next page >>
When and why did t.. by philclayton   (Show all posts)
Thanks Padodes. I .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Highest point in C.. by hazyview   (Show all posts)
Wicklore, if you g.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
I have a Nikon Coo.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Bit of a long shot.. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
2008-09-08 15:07:46
"" from padodes Expand pics
(Expand pics)
This summer’s bad weather has driven me into the outstretched arms of HDRI. I’ll explain. It all began with the usual vexing problem of trying to accommodate the scattered light of a cloudy sky and the gloom of the earth within the very cramped range of a camera sensor. This problem used to be confined to the winter months, but now, like our dreaded Hospital Bug, its contagion has spread to the summer as well.

It’s true that I could ‘expose for the shadows’, and later, with the magic of manipulation, replace my washed-out Irish sky with the gold of a tropical sunset and even add palm trees to the hilltops to complete the beauty of the scene. But how could I afterwards face the disenchanted Mountain Viewers who had set off with my splendid aesthetic vision before their eyes only to find that its charm was full of dark deceit?

Over the years I have tried all the other stratagems, of course. I have fumbled with GND filters, blended over- and under-exposed photos, and, more recently, embraced RAW with all the fervour of a Knight of the Round Table who has just found the Holy Grail. The success has been modest: about two ‘stops’ more of precious detail. But this summer I met HDRI and things haven’t been quite the same ever since.

HDRI’s full name, High Dynamic Range Imaging, isn’t the most romantic, but don’t let that fool you. Take as many bracketed shots with your camera as are necessary to cover the full dynamic range of the landscape in front of you, present them to HDRI (who dwells in many programmes, some of them freeware), and watch how they merge to form a mysterious 32-bit image - with the full tonal values of each separate photo - that can then be ‘tone-mapped’ to appear in all its vivid glory on your 8-bit monitor. Not all is perfect, perhaps. The contrast has been softened, the appearance may be ‘painterly’, but there you have your sky with all its texture and the earth with all its colour.

Now I look forward to the overcast days, full of impossible contrast. HDRI handles it all with luminous elegance. The photo I attach was taken on one such day, looking across to Ireland’s Eye from Howth Head. It was my first gauche overture to HDRI, and since then nothing has cast a shadow on our growing infatuation.
I have read with i.. by nagirock   (Show all posts)
The Mourne Youth R.. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
I just got back fr.. by _eamon_   (Show all posts)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy 5 hours ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 14 hours ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 2 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 a day ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Stumpa Dúloigh SE Top: Fine views to the East...
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
The view to Knocknabreeda, Crossderry and Mothillín as seen from the aooroach to Stúmpa Dúloigh SE Top. Torc in the centre with Mangerton rising over to the right.

Knocknabreeda: View of Carrauntoohil from the summit.
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
Carrauntoohil from Knocknabreeda summit.

Quad bikers in the Mournes
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
Whilst out in the Mournes on Sunday 2nd Oct, at about 8.30am we were shocked to see a group of half a dozen quad bikers powering up the track from the Banns Road towards Lough Shannagh (below Doan...

Slieve Foye
Onzy 6 days ago.
Sunday route over Slieve Foye and along the ridge for a bit... walk, Len: 9.9km, Climb: 439m, Area: Slieve Foye, Cooley/Gullion (Ireland) Slie...