<< Prev page 1 .. 299 300 301 302 303 304 .. 369 Next page >>
Where are you goin.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
For all you summit.. by john_desmond   (Show all posts)
When and why did t.. by philclayton   (Show all posts)
Thanks Padodes. I .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Highest point in C.. by hazyview   (Show all posts)
Wicklore, if you g.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
I have a Nikon Coo.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Bit of a long shot.. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
padodes
2008-09-08 15:07:46
"" from padodes Expand pics
(Expand pics)
HDRI
This summer’s bad weather has driven me into the outstretched arms of HDRI. I’ll explain. It all began with the usual vexing problem of trying to accommodate the scattered light of a cloudy sky and the gloom of the earth within the very cramped range of a camera sensor. This problem used to be confined to the winter months, but now, like our dreaded Hospital Bug, its contagion has spread to the summer as well.

It’s true that I could ‘expose for the shadows’, and later, with the magic of manipulation, replace my washed-out Irish sky with the gold of a tropical sunset and even add palm trees to the hilltops to complete the beauty of the scene. But how could I afterwards face the disenchanted Mountain Viewers who had set off with my splendid aesthetic vision before their eyes only to find that its charm was full of dark deceit?

Over the years I have tried all the other stratagems, of course. I have fumbled with GND filters, blended over- and under-exposed photos, and, more recently, embraced RAW with all the fervour of a Knight of the Round Table who has just found the Holy Grail. The success has been modest: about two ‘stops’ more of precious detail. But this summer I met HDRI and things haven’t been quite the same ever since.

HDRI’s full name, High Dynamic Range Imaging, isn’t the most romantic, but don’t let that fool you. Take as many bracketed shots with your camera as are necessary to cover the full dynamic range of the landscape in front of you, present them to HDRI (who dwells in many programmes, some of them freeware), and watch how they merge to form a mysterious 32-bit image - with the full tonal values of each separate photo - that can then be ‘tone-mapped’ to appear in all its vivid glory on your 8-bit monitor. Not all is perfect, perhaps. The contrast has been softened, the appearance may be ‘painterly’, but there you have your sky with all its texture and the earth with all its colour.

Now I look forward to the overcast days, full of impossible contrast. HDRI handles it all with luminous elegance. The photo I attach was taken on one such day, looking across to Ireland’s Eye from Howth Head. It was my first gauche overture to HDRI, and since then nothing has cast a shadow on our growing infatuation.
I have read with i.. by nagirock   (Show all posts)

Tick/Lyme Disease Awareness
Geo 3 hours ago.
Don't be a tick - Check out this article and be mindful of yourselves out there http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lyme-disease-a-tiny-tick-can-pack-a-huge-punch-1.2964241I hav...

Tick/Lyme Disease Awareness
Geo 3 hours ago.
See http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lyme-disease-a-tiny-tick-can-pack-a-huge-punch-1.2964241

Ballysitteragh Stroll
Bunsen7 13 hours ago.
A short stroll from the Conor Pass carpark. My plans for greater things fell victim to the inclement weather.Simply st... walk, Len: 7.0km, Climb: 340m, Area: An Bhinn Dubh, Brandon Group (Ireland) A

Meenavally: A pleasant walk to theTower
BigFly 21 hours ago.
Lovely pleasant walk

Walker's €40k claim against NPWS overturned i
brenno 3 days ago.
Great news from High Court as that €40k ruling in favour of that walker who tripped on the Wicklow Way boardwalk near the JB Malone memorial overturned in High Court. We can all toast Judge White ...

Sgurr Thuilm: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small footbridge u
melohara a week ago.
If the Allt a' Choire Charnaig is in spate there is a small footbridge, wires and planks, a little upstream

Sgurr nan Coireachan: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small foot
melohara a week ago.

The Big Gun: A Big View
mcrtchly a week ago.
A view of the Big Gun, Cnoc na Péiste and the southern ridge of the Reeks taken after a light fall of snow in late January 2017

Sgurr a'Choire Riabhaich: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small
melohara a week ago.

Near Church Mountain, Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)
Bunsen7 6 days ago.
Took this track to bag Church Mountian and then Corriebracks on a cold wet winter afternoon. Visibility was poor high... walk, Len: 11.0km, Climb: 603m, Area: Church Mountain, Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland

Tievebaun: Crash of 42-31420 in 1943
dp_burke 2 weeks ago.
Just a quick link to the story of 42-31420's crash on Tievebaun as I found it.http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/42-31420.htmIf you do go up top the small bit of wreckage that is left, please don't r...

Sugar Loaf Circular
tommyclarke 5 days ago.
walk, Len: 5.4km, Climb: 404m, Area: Great Sugar Loaf, Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)...