<< Prev page 1 .. 304 305 306 307 308 309 .. 373 Next page >>
When and why did t.. by philclayton   (Show all posts)
Thanks Padodes. I .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Highest point in C.. by hazyview   (Show all posts)
Wicklore, if you g.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
I have a Nikon Coo.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Bit of a long shot.. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
padodes
2008-09-08 15:07:46
"" from padodes Expand pics
(Expand pics)
HDRI
This summer’s bad weather has driven me into the outstretched arms of HDRI. I’ll explain. It all began with the usual vexing problem of trying to accommodate the scattered light of a cloudy sky and the gloom of the earth within the very cramped range of a camera sensor. This problem used to be confined to the winter months, but now, like our dreaded Hospital Bug, its contagion has spread to the summer as well.

It’s true that I could ‘expose for the shadows’, and later, with the magic of manipulation, replace my washed-out Irish sky with the gold of a tropical sunset and even add palm trees to the hilltops to complete the beauty of the scene. But how could I afterwards face the disenchanted Mountain Viewers who had set off with my splendid aesthetic vision before their eyes only to find that its charm was full of dark deceit?

Over the years I have tried all the other stratagems, of course. I have fumbled with GND filters, blended over- and under-exposed photos, and, more recently, embraced RAW with all the fervour of a Knight of the Round Table who has just found the Holy Grail. The success has been modest: about two ‘stops’ more of precious detail. But this summer I met HDRI and things haven’t been quite the same ever since.

HDRI’s full name, High Dynamic Range Imaging, isn’t the most romantic, but don’t let that fool you. Take as many bracketed shots with your camera as are necessary to cover the full dynamic range of the landscape in front of you, present them to HDRI (who dwells in many programmes, some of them freeware), and watch how they merge to form a mysterious 32-bit image - with the full tonal values of each separate photo - that can then be ‘tone-mapped’ to appear in all its vivid glory on your 8-bit monitor. Not all is perfect, perhaps. The contrast has been softened, the appearance may be ‘painterly’, but there you have your sky with all its texture and the earth with all its colour.

Now I look forward to the overcast days, full of impossible contrast. HDRI handles it all with luminous elegance. The photo I attach was taken on one such day, looking across to Ireland’s Eye from Howth Head. It was my first gauche overture to HDRI, and since then nothing has cast a shadow on our growing infatuation.
I have read with i.. by nagirock   (Show all posts)
The Mourne Youth R.. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
I just got back fr.. by _eamon_   (Show all posts)

Doonvinalla E Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 13 hours ago.
Easy access from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259 follow the Benwee Loop walk and branch off where appropriate . The photo shows views across towards Benwee Head in the background .

Exploration of Wicklow Head from the north.
As you will immediately see from the track this was an exploration of what is possible thoroughly exploring various d... walk, Len: 6.6km, Climb: 126m, Area: Brides Hill, Wicklow Coastal Hill (Irelan

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 13 hours ago.
Looking across to Doonvinalla N Top from E Top i decided it was above my pay grade to attempt the summit climb today . But to the right of the photo a route to the top seemingly exists so another ...

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 14 hours ago.
The look out post 3 years after my first visit.

Pic du Canigou
David-Guenot 4 days ago.
Ascending Catalogna's sacred mountain from the hamlet of Los Masos de Vallmanya, on well-marked trails, with two breaks walk, Len: 24.8km, Climb: 1853m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Geevraun Point: Coastal Hill
sandman 14 hours ago.
Located in an area of stunning coastlines this hill does not disappoint . A fantastic linear coastal walk exists from Beldberg Pier to Porturlin Pier well worth the effort but if yo wish to visit ...

Ramble on Ireland's Eye
wicklore 5 days ago.
A short walk on Ireland's Eye in September 2015. Original plan to visit earlier in the summer was thwarted by a huge f... walk, Len: 2.6km, Climb: 80m, Area: Ireland's Eye, Dublin Islands (Ireland) I

Horse Island: Mayo Island
sandman 14 hours ago.
View of Horse Island from Geevraun Point.

Pic de Cagire Loop
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A great loop walk in one of my favourite areas in the Pyrenees, which should have hardly taken more than 4h30 hadn't I m walk, Len: 11.8km, Climb: 892m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Raheen: Coastal Hill
sandman 14 hours ago.
The photo shows the Megalithic Tomb adjacent to the summit of this small hill which is an easy accent from the old turf cutting track located at G0018340427.

Benbeg to Cuilcagh
dmcdevitt 6 days ago.
GPS was not accurate during the walk. learn't a lesson not to use your phone app to track your walk but overall it is ac walk, Len: 8.7km, Climb: 447m, Area: Benbeg, Breifne (Ireland) Benbeg

Lackan Hill: Coastal Hill
sandman 14 hours ago.
Arriving close to the location i came across two farmers moving cattle who i asked about Lackan Hill they looked bemused replying you will not find any hills in here so i quickly changed to standi...