<< Prev page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. 366 Next page >>
4.—(1) In respect .. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
A woman has been a.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Donegal Mountain R.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
Ireland’s Minerals.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Hi folks, I'm look.. by madeleineblue   (Show all posts)
2016-03-30 14:15:55
"Sarah Albone nearly died in blizzard after climbing  in shorts" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
Sarah Albone nearly died in blizzard after climbing in shorts (Expand pics)
Young woman almost died on Ben Nevis

A woman has praised mountaineers for rescuing her from Ben Nevis after she was caught out in a blizzard wearing just shorts.
Sarah Albone, 28, ate her only supplies - a chocolate Lindt bunny - before setting off for the summit in fell-running trainers with a selfie-stick in her backpack.
She made it to the top of the 1,344 meter mountain but started suffering from hypothermia during the descent and was unable to walk.
Luckily she was found by a group of four climbers who gave her food and clothes to warm her up.
Sarah said: "The people I met up the mountain that day are real life super heroes. I honestly cannot thank them enough.
"At no point did I really intend to get to the top...I wasn't dressed appropriately and I reached the top more by accident then anything else.
"The weather was pretty appalling - snow blizzards , avalanches abound, heavy cloud cover and a white-out.
"These four guys stayed and helped me when they really didn't have to.
"Gave up their clothes to keep me warm, sacrificed their food rations so I didn't pass out and sat with me in the middle of a storm."
Sarah was spending the Easter weekend biking through Scotland when she arrived at the foot of Ben Nevis.
On Saturday she began walking up the UK's highest mountain with the intention of turning around before the top.
But she ended up reaching the trig point, despite significant snowfall.
Sarah, of Lewes, East Sussex, only started experiencing hypothermia symptoms while descending.
She said: "I became borderline hypothermic on the descent. I couldn't feel my body and was unable to walk any further.
"While most people would have been like 'on your own love' these four guys stayed and helped me when they really didn't have to."
The group of four contacted mountain rescue and were told conditions were too bad for a helicopter.
After warming Sarah up and giving her food and drink they managed to help her walk to safety.
She added: "If it wasn't for [their] help...Ben Nevis would have been Ben Never.
"I'm booking myself in for a mountaineering course as soon as I get back home.
"I never, ever want to put myself or anyone else in that sort of situation again.
"I also would like to be able to help someone the way they all helped me."
I am thrilled to h.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Last one looking a.. by Aidy   (Show all posts)
Another one lookin.. by Aidy   (Show all posts)
I was in the Sperr.. by Aidy   (Show all posts)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility an hour ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility an hour ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility an hour ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility an hour ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy 2 hours ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Stumpa Dúloigh SE Top: Fine views to the East...
hivisibility 2 hours ago.
The view to Knocknabreeda, Crossderry and Mothillín as seen from the aooroach to Stúmpa Dúloigh SE Top. Torc in the centre with Mangerton rising over to the right.

Knocknabreeda: View of Carrauntoohil from the summit.
hivisibility 2 hours ago.
Carrauntoohil from Knocknabreeda summit.

Stumpa Dúloigh SW Top: Approaching Stúmpa Dúloigh SW Top summit
hivisibility 2 hours ago.
Stumpa Dúloigh SW Top

Knockaunanattin W Top: View from the summit
hivisibility 2 hours ago.
My view from Knockaunattin W Top.

Slieve Meelmore: Fitting End To A Great Day's Walking
Aidy 2 hours ago.
My sixth and last summit of the day, Meelmore had looked magnificent from Meelbeg, and didn't disappoint now that I was on it, offering a fine vantage point itself. Views were particularly good to...

Slieve Meelbeg: Perfect Viewing Point For Slieve Meelmore
Aidy 2 hours ago.
Summit number 5 of the day, and there were amazing views in all directions. My next and final summit would be Slieve Meelmore, and there was a particularly good view of it from here, lit up by pat...

Slieve Loughshannagh: Great Viewing Point For The Rest Of The Mournes
Aidy 2 hours ago.
Fourth peak of the day, and the highest so far, having come via Ott Mountain, and Carn and Carn North Top. Views were spectacular, into the heart of the Mournes, over Lough Shannagh, Silent Valley...