<< Prev page 1 .. 11 12 13 14 15 16 .. 373 Next page >>
The Cork Mountaine.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
On St. Patrick's D.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
CaptainVertigo
2016-03-06 13:47:18
"Do "No Valuables Here" Notices work?" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
Do "No Valuables Here" Notices work? (Expand pics)
Making Wicklow Great Again
There's really no fun in Wicklow walks anymore because of the endless car break-ins and the anxiety surrounding the issue. Although I have never been a victim myself, I was present at the end of a group walk when one of our number discovered that his car had been broken into. I don't recall that anything was taken, but the thieves had broken the door as part of gaining entry and it was obvious that it was going to cost. It was a real downer for all of us to see our friend in difficulties at the end of a long day.
I went up Stoney Top recently.. On the way , I spotted a car in Laragh with a sign in the window saying that there was no point in breaking in because there were no valuables left in it. It was handwritten which added a personal touch. I presume the idea is to say to the thief: I am but a poor boy though my story's seldom told , I have squandered my valuables during the Boom for a pocketful of mumbles such are promises. All lies and jest: still, a man hears what he wants to hear during elections and disregards the rest and now I've nothing but another Come On from the Hoors in Leinster House. I'm BROKE. I have a 2002 car that permits me to indulge my one single meaningful connection with the universe. Please don't wreck it.
I'd like to think that the would-be car thief would pause a moment, and maybe phone headquarters: "Hey Boss, we've a lad here who seems to be a bit stuck for a few bob. Will I give him a miss?" The Boss, an Irish Tony Soprano type with an animal nickname ("The Orangutan") turns out to be attending his weekly counselling session, so he just says "Leave it out Mick"
Since I don't believe in these kinds of miracles, I left the door of my car open, with no valuables inside, and hoped for a Passover without the harming of a single Wicklow Spring Lamb. Deep down I felt that they would vandalise the car to pay me back for being a failure, with nothing to offer.
So my entire journey to Stoney Top and back was one long Trump style angry pink man tirade with me as both the demagogue and the whooping audience.
"You know the guys with small hands who break into cars? I'm gonna sever their connections to their gene pools the old fashioned way by tying fishing line to their tackle as they lie dozing after a day's crime. I'm GONNA MAKE WICKLOW GREAT AGAIN."
Hi folksI sit on t.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
"Oh what a night. .. by Jim Holmes   (Show all posts)
Onzy, your photos .. by conormcbandon   (Show all posts)
Thank you Captain .. by Onzy   (Show all posts)
I would love to he.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
I have to take my .. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Collins press are .. by madfrankie   (Show all posts)

Doonvinalla E Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 17 hours ago.
Easy access from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259 follow the Benwee Loop walk and branch off where appropriate . The photo shows views across towards Benwee Head in the background .

Exploration of Wicklow Head from the north.
As you will immediately see from the track this was an exploration of what is possible thoroughly exploring various d... walk, Len: 6.6km, Climb: 126m, Area: Brides Hill, Wicklow Coastal Hill (Irelan

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 17 hours ago.
Looking across to Doonvinalla N Top from E Top i decided it was above my pay grade to attempt the summit climb today . But to the right of the photo a route to the top seemingly exists so another ...

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 17 hours ago.
The look out post 3 years after my first visit.

Pic du Canigou
David-Guenot 4 days ago.
Ascending Catalogna's sacred mountain from the hamlet of Los Masos de Vallmanya, on well-marked trails, with two breaks walk, Len: 24.8km, Climb: 1853m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Geevraun Point: Coastal Hill
sandman 17 hours ago.
Located in an area of stunning coastlines this hill does not disappoint . A fantastic linear coastal walk exists from Beldberg Pier to Porturlin Pier well worth the effort but if yo wish to visit ...

Ramble on Ireland's Eye
wicklore 5 days ago.
A short walk on Ireland's Eye in September 2015. Original plan to visit earlier in the summer was thwarted by a huge f... walk, Len: 2.6km, Climb: 80m, Area: Ireland's Eye, Dublin Islands (Ireland) I

Horse Island: Mayo Island
sandman 17 hours ago.
View of Horse Island from Geevraun Point.

Pic de Cagire Loop
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A great loop walk in one of my favourite areas in the Pyrenees, which should have hardly taken more than 4h30 hadn't I m walk, Len: 11.8km, Climb: 892m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Raheen: Coastal Hill
sandman 18 hours ago.
The photo shows the Megalithic Tomb adjacent to the summit of this small hill which is an easy accent from the old turf cutting track located at G0018340427.

Benbeg to Cuilcagh
dmcdevitt 6 days ago.
GPS was not accurate during the walk. learn't a lesson not to use your phone app to track your walk but overall it is ac walk, Len: 8.7km, Climb: 447m, Area: Benbeg, Breifne (Ireland) Benbeg

Lackan Hill: Coastal Hill
sandman 18 hours ago.
Arriving close to the location i came across two farmers moving cattle who i asked about Lackan Hill they looked bemused replying you will not find any hills in here so i quickly changed to standi...