<< Prev page 1 .. 12 13 14 15 16 17 .. 373 Next page >>
A woman, from the.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Friday 19th Februa.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Peter Walker
2016-02-07 20:06:14
Walk of the Year 2015
Omitted from the annual due to lack of space / email incompetence / low quality / doesn't matter

I could have picked a springtime ascent of Errigal, if only from witnessing Indy the Tripod Dog’s amazing feat of blagging food from practically everyone on the summit…maybe I could bend others to my will if I had three legs too? Actually that would more likely result in government scientists performing experiments on me. But I digress. I’m choosing a summer round of the Owenglin Horseshoe in the Twelve Bens instead.

After 35 years of hillwalking most outings serve more to act as gentle reminders of feelings previously experienced in the outdoors, rather than providing a proper dose of the shock of the new. And the 15th August reminded me of the good old days of my youth when 3am alarm calls led to 4 hours drives before a whole day’s hillwalking and then a narcoleptic drive home. Plus I was back in a time where I found climbing mountains pretty easy…back then that was down to naivety and genetics, now it owed a hefty debt to a recent discovery of ketogenic dieting and carb loading.

But a healthy amount of the experience was new, and not just the 12 summits being visited for the first time or the completion of the County Tops after 8 years (I’m English…we’re predisposed to being disorganised). I’d never seen quite such a pageant of weather within such a short space of time as I witnessed on the ridge of Binn Bhraoin (blazing sunshine, mist, drizzle, hail, blazing sunshine, 90 seconds). And having been reasonably unlucky with wildlife encounters in the previous 3.5 decades it was a pleasant surprise to startle a fox and some cubs at very close quarters on top of An Chailleach…less idyllic was the revelation that they hadn’t noticed me because they were busy gorging themselves on a dead sheep. Nice.

Still, it’s still more memories than revelations. On the scrambly ascent of Binn Gabhar I experienced a slimy feeling on a distant handhold, one that grew more intense and manky and malodourous the more I brought up my centre of gravity, until the final revelation that yes, for the first time since 2004 in Cat Gill in the Lake District, I was climbing into a dead sheep. A different one, I hope.
It’s that time of .. by Onzy   (Show all posts)
Teresa Wall of Rat.. by Trailtrekker   (Show all posts)
Fellow Walker,You .. by GSheehy   (Show all posts)
One of my favourit.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
Martin and underto.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
On the white route.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
The BBC2 Northern .. by Trailtrekker   (Show all posts)

Forum: Suggestions
Addition of "All Irish features" list etc
simon3 7 hours ago.
A new list and total has been added which shows All Irish features visited. So if you mark as visited any summit, coastal summit, coastal feature, island feature then this total will go up. You ca...

Illanmaster: Watching Over.
sandman a day ago.
This hill watches over Illanmaster Island and although its summit is nothing of note its cliffs are fantastic. As described previously this can be part of a coastal walk or for direct accent park ...

Corraduff Hill: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
Corraduff Hill as seen from the Benwee Loop Walk.

Mweelrea Mt via Ben Lugmore
marzka a day ago.
A very nice walk with amazing views and small bit of scrambling which can be avoided.Dificulty: Medium- ascending via... walk, Len: 13.4km, Climb: 1111m, Area: Ben Lugmore East Top, Mweelrea Mountain

Bencorrbeg - Binn an Choire and Binn Dubh
marzka a day ago.
Very nice walk with a bit of scrambling.And this GPS track involve that mentioned part of scrambling - but if you want... walk, Len: 10.4km, Climb: 944m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Benwee NE Head: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
It is easy to reach the area i took the photo from just a slight detour off the Benwee Loop Walk F8220244947 it is the next bit that the problem arises. Definitely an Ian Miller summit.

Teermoyle and Been Hill
marzka a day ago.
Very nice walk with goregous views.Dificulty: Medium- a bit wet terrain, mostly grassy- some small part of walk on th... walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 843m, Area: Keamconneragh, Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Irel

Doonvinalla W Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
The Stags of Broad Haven just one of the fantastic photo opportunities from this summit which is easily accessed from the Benwee Loop Walk the easy option from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259.

Mangerton via Stoompa and Horses Glen
marzka 2 days ago.
Lovely walk with stunning views.Dificulty: Medim- wet terrain as crossing the Owgariff river- very steepy descending w... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 673m, Area: Stoompa, Mangerton (Ireland) Stoompa, M

Doonvinalla E Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Easy access from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259 follow the Benwee Loop walk and branch off where appropriate . The photo shows views across towards Benwee Head in the background .

Carrauntoohil via central guy and dawn via oshea-gully WINTER WALK
marzka 2 days ago.
This is a winter climb, therefore the winter equipment is needed and extra time should be added while planning that r... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 779m, Area: Carrauntoohil, MacGillycuddy's Reeks (Ir

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Looking across to Doonvinalla N Top from E Top i decided it was above my pay grade to attempt the summit climb today . But to the right of the photo a route to the top seemingly exists so another ...