<< Prev page 1 .. 302 303 304 305 306 307 .. 366 Next page >>
I know, I'm an idi.. by valerieh   (Show all posts)
Inazone’s picture .. by david kirk   (Show all posts)
Is MountainViews c.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
I took this photo .. by Inazone   (Show all posts)
Would a deft hand .. by jeancan   (Show all posts)
2008-06-04 15:51:33
Bench marks
Hello John. This looks like a bench mark, though I would expect the arrow to point to a horizontal line (the "bench") and to be marked on a vertical surface. Apparently there are horizontal bench marks too, but whether your object is one of these, I am not sure. If it is a bench mark, it should be indicated on more OS detailed maps such as the 1:10,000 and 6" to the mile series (you should be able to access these at your local library). I haven't found much on the OSI site about bench marks as they are now largely part of mapping history rather than current surveying technology, but the OS site for Britain has some useful info on them and I'm sure much of it applies to the Irish network too. Basically it explains that Ordnance Survey Bench marks (BMs) are survey marks made by the OS to record height above sea-level. If the exact height of one bench mark is known then the exact height of the next can be found by measuring the difference in heights, through a process of spirit levelling. Bench marks are usually found on buildings or other semi-permanent features. Although the OS is no longer updating the main network, their policy is still to keep a record of locations and the markers will remain until they are eventually destroyed by redevelopment or erosion. There is more information available here: http://benchmarks.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=111:3:16146039039280374334::NO:3:: There is also a whole world of bench mark visiting and recording, about which you can find out more here: http://www.bench-marks.org.uk/ if the urge takes you! (I hesitate to make any comparisons with trainspotting, as I'm sure my own fascination for mountain names is distinctly underwhelming to some.) As regards the significance of the symbol, I don't think the "arrows" have a directional significance. They usually point up on buildings or triangulation pillars, and the arrow points to the middle of the horizontal bar, as the recorded height refers to this bar. I presume that the symbol originally represented a tripod, on which one would set a theodolite to carry out surveying measurements, but maybe somebody with more knowledge of cartography than me could confirm or correct this.
I took this photo .. by john_desmond   (Show all posts)
On a recent trip t.. by pdtempan   (Show all posts)
Hi all. I'm reall.. by paulca   (Show all posts)
If you are thinkin.. by simon3   (Show all posts)

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 8 hours ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 10 hours ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 10 hours ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy a day ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility a day ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 3 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility a day ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy a day ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility a day ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility a day ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 2 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Quad bikers in the Mournes
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
Whilst out in the Mournes on Sunday 2nd Oct, at about 8.30am we were shocked to see a group of half a dozen quad bikers powering up the track from the Banns Road towards Lough Shannagh (below Doan...