<< Prev page 1 .. 304 305 306 307 308 309 .. 369 Next page >>
Thanks for your su.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Hi there, I am new.. by susani   (Show all posts)
I know, I'm an idi.. by valerieh   (Show all posts)
Inazone’s picture .. by david kirk   (Show all posts)
Is MountainViews c.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
I took this photo .. by Inazone   (Show all posts)
Would a deft hand .. by jeancan   (Show all posts)
pdtempan
2008-06-04 15:51:33
Bench marks
Hello John. This looks like a bench mark, though I would expect the arrow to point to a horizontal line (the "bench") and to be marked on a vertical surface. Apparently there are horizontal bench marks too, but whether your object is one of these, I am not sure. If it is a bench mark, it should be indicated on more OS detailed maps such as the 1:10,000 and 6" to the mile series (you should be able to access these at your local library). I haven't found much on the OSI site about bench marks as they are now largely part of mapping history rather than current surveying technology, but the OS site for Britain has some useful info on them and I'm sure much of it applies to the Irish network too. Basically it explains that Ordnance Survey Bench marks (BMs) are survey marks made by the OS to record height above sea-level. If the exact height of one bench mark is known then the exact height of the next can be found by measuring the difference in heights, through a process of spirit levelling. Bench marks are usually found on buildings or other semi-permanent features. Although the OS is no longer updating the main network, their policy is still to keep a record of locations and the markers will remain until they are eventually destroyed by redevelopment or erosion. There is more information available here: http://benchmarks.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=111:3:16146039039280374334::NO:3:: There is also a whole world of bench mark visiting and recording, about which you can find out more here: http://www.bench-marks.org.uk/ if the urge takes you! (I hesitate to make any comparisons with trainspotting, as I'm sure my own fascination for mountain names is distinctly underwhelming to some.) As regards the significance of the symbol, I don't think the "arrows" have a directional significance. They usually point up on buildings or triangulation pillars, and the arrow points to the middle of the horizontal bar, as the recorded height refers to this bar. I presume that the symbol originally represented a tripod, on which one would set a theodolite to carry out surveying measurements, but maybe somebody with more knowledge of cartography than me could confirm or correct this.
I took this photo .. by john_desmond   (Show all posts)
On a recent trip t.. by pdtempan   (Show all posts)

Keeper Hill from Silvermines (Knockanroe Carpark)
caseyc481 9 hours ago.
Wanted to climb Keeper Hill from the Silvermines side. Parked at Knockanroe carpark, walking downhill on fire road unt... walk, Len: 14.9km, Climb: 763m, Area: Keeper Hill, Shannon (Ireland) Keeper H

Keeper Hill from Silvermines (Knockanroe Carpark)
caseyc481 a day ago.
Wanted to climb Keeper Hill from the Silvermines side. Parked at Knockanroe carpark, walking downhill on fire road unt... walk, Len: 7.5km, Climb: 233m, Area: Keeper Hill, Shannon (Ireland) Keeper Hi

MountainViews Gathering 2017
simon3 a day ago.
The event on Feb 17, 2017 had Peter Walker as MC with two main speakers.Gareth McCormack spoke about the vision and technicalities of modern landscape photography.Paul Clements discussed the Wild ...

Tick/Lyme Disease Awareness
Geo 2 days ago.
Don't be a tick - Check out this article and be mindful of yourselves out there http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lyme-disease-a-tiny-tick-can-pack-a-huge-punch-1.2964241I hav...

Meenavally: A pleasant walk to theTower
BigFly 2 days ago.
Lovely pleasant walk

Two Rock Mountain: Red Grouse near the summit.
BarnaneGoat a week ago.
I climbed here a few days ago from the east along the Dublin Mountains Way. The summit was shrouded in mist and we went astray at one point. I later discovered this was the result of a way marker ...

Sgurr a'Choire Riabhaich: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small
melohara 2 weeks ago.
If the Allt a' Choire Charnaig is in spate there is a small footbridge, wires and planks, a little upstream

Sgurr Thuilm: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small footbridge u
melohara 2 weeks ago.

Ballysitteragh Stroll
Bunsen7 2 days ago.
A short stroll from the Conor Pass carpark. My plans for greater things fell victim to the inclement weather.Simply st... walk, Len: 7.0km, Climb: 340m, Area: An Bhinn Dubh, Brandon Group (Ireland) A

Sgurr nan Coireachan: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small foot
melohara 2 weeks ago.

The Big Gun: A Big View
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
A view of the Big Gun, Cnoc na Péiste and the southern ridge of the Reeks taken after a light fall of snow in late January 2017

Tievebaun: Crash of 42-31420 in 1943
dp_burke 2 weeks ago.
Just a quick link to the story of 42-31420's crash on Tievebaun as I found it.http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/42-31420.htmIf you do go up top the small bit of wreckage that is left, please don't r...