<< Prev page 1 .. 11 12 13 14 15 16 .. 372 Next page >>
Martin and underto.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
On the white route.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
The BBC2 Northern .. by Trailtrekker   (Show all posts)
First, thank you a.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
For me it was an o.. by Trailtrekker   (Show all posts)
My first thought w.. by Pazapas   (Show all posts)
Would anyone be in.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Geo
2015-12-16 21:17:54
"The cleaving of the mist over the Beenkeragh ridge" from Geo Expand pics
The cleaving of the mist over the Beenkeragh ridge (Expand pics)
Walk of the Year 2015 - Geo
My vote for walk of the year was my chance in June to do the Coomloughra Horseshoe in the Reeks.
Before and since in 2015 I have had more than my share of
a) damp;
b) moist;
c) wet;
d) soaking and
e) horrendously Baltic with a side order of monsoon.
In fact lately some of my walking buddies have stopped joking about my jinx this year and begun to believe that perhaps I am a rain god!
But I digress, back to the horseshoe, the culmination of my highest hundred summits which I have been working on since 2008 (the old 100 list from then not the 'new' list).
The June holiday weekend was quite mixed we did the Hag's Tooth and the Knockbrinnea's on the Saturday and were literally blown back to Cronin's Yard, bedraggled and you guessed it, wet!
On the Sunday as we did the horseshoe clockwise we had all the seasons and weathers in one day. We watched as clouds queued up to the west over the Atlantic and then raced towards us, mostly missing us by kilometres or only metres in some cases! Then on top of Beenkeragh as we contemplated the enveloping mist and cloud and wondered if we would find our way across to the Bones, suddenly, almost biblically the cumulus was parted and we saw the promised land ahead, well ok more like a razor's edge!
What a thrill ride to finish the hundred perched on the Bones, with derriere at 956.5m and Ireland's highest all around, almost close enough to touch, I have to admit the 7 years getting to this point brought a tear, in addition to the one's the wind at that altitude would normally bring!
Glad to have had the company of the 3 musketeers and D'Artagnan as usual (Will there be a "Twenty Years After"?)
One of Ireland's great walks and a super day with wonderful company - That to me is a recipe for Walk of the Year
After a truly rott.. by aidand   (Show all posts)
Unbelievable (but .. by madfrankie   (Show all posts)

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark
simon3 a day ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 4 days ago.

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 4 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 3 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 4 days ago.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 4 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 3 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 4 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...

Lettercallow: Coastal Hill
sandman 4 days ago.
By parking at L8760028966 you can walk on to open hillside with no access issues . A gentle accent to the summit area which unlike its nearest neighbour has no seating arrangements for the visitor...