<< Prev page 1 .. 12 13 14 15 16 17 .. 372 Next page >>
Hi
I found.. by Eoinb   (Show all posts)
TWO-DAY SALE!
Peter Walker
2015-12-02 20:19:28
Man meets bear, grills it...
Some folk may find Ireland's wildlife somewhat lacking in terms of diversity and exoticism. I, on the other hand, am perfectly happy living somewhere where I'm relatively unlikely to get eaten.

Recently two renowned British climbers took a trip to the Canadian Rockies. Greg Boswell has an extensive CV of cutting edge winter ascents in Scotland to his credit, while Nick Bullock is considered to be one of the world's leading alpinists. They had a moderately eventful time of it, as Bullock (for whom climbing is downtime from a harrowing job in the prison service, and whose nickname is 'Bodybag') describes in his blog. To save you reading all of it, just find the section that begins:

"Greg was behind. “Bear, aaaaaaargh.” I spun to watch Greg sprint past me and in hot pursuit was a Grizzly. The bear bounded, pulling and pushing the snow with powerful legs. The snow lapped its belly and didn’t appear to slow it. Greg ran out of sight and the carnivorous freight train passed me, snorting and growling and bounding, dusting me with spindrift – it looked at me for a second, and for a second I thought this is it, this is really f***ing it, but in that second the bear had spotted Greg had fallen. I ran uphill as fast as the deep snow allowed. Greg fell on his back and watched the monster closing. It jumped. Screaming and shouting, Greg kicked at Ursus arctos horribilis and it bit straight though his brand new boot as if it were a carpet slipper..."

Tragically, the lapsed gym fanatic in me was unduly fascinated by the amount of core strength it must take to twist your body so as to grab hold of a grizzly bear's jaws with both hands when it's dangling you in the air by your own lower leg.

For the two gentlemen concerned this escapade will probably end up as just 'a decent story for the pub'. If it had happened to Bear Grylls it would have spawned five television series, countless books and a new range of clothing from Craghoppers.
Have I become an a.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
Having being on so.. by Trailtrekker   (Show all posts)
Sea trip from Cush.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Just like to say w.. by madfrankie   (Show all posts)
Another shot of th.. by Aidy   (Show all posts)
I was thrilled las.. by Aidy   (Show all posts)
Thanks to mountain.. by Aidy   (Show all posts)

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect
Aidy 3 hours ago.

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy 6 hours ago.

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 5 days ago.

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 5 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 4 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 5 days ago.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 5 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 4 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 5 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I