<< Prev page 1 .. 13 14 15 16 17 18 .. 372 Next page >>
Wondering if anyon.. by groe   (Show all posts)
Dessie
Why .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Our good friend Pa.. by Dessie1   (Show all posts)
Report on the Moun.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
Link below is from.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
Aidy
2015-09-22 21:17:07
"Always competing with the landscape for attention." from Aidy Expand pics
Always competing with the landscape for attention. (Expand pics)
Cuilcagh Boardwalk
When I first saw photos of the boardwalk on Cuilcagh, my first thought was "Don't be taken in, this is a photoshopped practical joke." I was horrified to see it was real, as I suppose what most of us enjoy in the mountains is the feeling of wilderness, at least as much wildnerness as you can get on a small, heavily populated island. I thought that when I got round to Cuilcagh, I would approach via Benbeg and avoid the boardwalk. So when my sister asked me go along with her on the boardwalk route, I only very reluctantly agreed as she'd had a "bootcamp" that morning and wanted an easier walk.

I can sort of sympathise with some of the arguments in favour of the boardwalk - we all want to protect delicate environments. And, I don't want to be selfish and deny the pleasure of the hills and mountains to people who might have difficulty accessing them otherwise. But, did the solution really have to be so intrusive? Its still a long walk in on the Legnabrocky Trail to even reach the boardwalk, and would still be beyond a lot of people. Surely a stoney path would have been a possibility, and just as suitable for those able to manage the long walk.

There are benefits no doubt. I saw a lot more people out enjoying the hills that day than I have on most Irish mountains (even if 90% of them were turning at the top of the steps and not taking the extra short walk to the summit!). I also, hypocritically, was guiltily glad of the boardwalk after a long day, when I didn't have to slog through the bog on the way back. But, I'm sure this could have been better managed.
Hi does anyone kno.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
I just had to reac.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
and again...Hah!.... by maclimber   (Show all posts)
Good Lord no. Amu.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect
Aidy 9 hours ago.

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy 12 hours ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 4 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 4 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 5 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 5 days ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 5 days ago.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 5 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...