<< Prev page 1 .. 15 16 17 18 19 20 .. 373 Next page >>
Report on the Moun.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
Link below is from.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
Aidy
2015-09-22 21:17:07
"Always competing with the landscape for attention." from Aidy Expand pics
Always competing with the landscape for attention. (Expand pics)
Cuilcagh Boardwalk
When I first saw photos of the boardwalk on Cuilcagh, my first thought was "Don't be taken in, this is a photoshopped practical joke." I was horrified to see it was real, as I suppose what most of us enjoy in the mountains is the feeling of wilderness, at least as much wildnerness as you can get on a small, heavily populated island. I thought that when I got round to Cuilcagh, I would approach via Benbeg and avoid the boardwalk. So when my sister asked me go along with her on the boardwalk route, I only very reluctantly agreed as she'd had a "bootcamp" that morning and wanted an easier walk.

I can sort of sympathise with some of the arguments in favour of the boardwalk - we all want to protect delicate environments. And, I don't want to be selfish and deny the pleasure of the hills and mountains to people who might have difficulty accessing them otherwise. But, did the solution really have to be so intrusive? Its still a long walk in on the Legnabrocky Trail to even reach the boardwalk, and would still be beyond a lot of people. Surely a stoney path would have been a possibility, and just as suitable for those able to manage the long walk.

There are benefits no doubt. I saw a lot more people out enjoying the hills that day than I have on most Irish mountains (even if 90% of them were turning at the top of the steps and not taking the extra short walk to the summit!). I also, hypocritically, was guiltily glad of the boardwalk after a long day, when I didn't have to slog through the bog on the way back. But, I'm sure this could have been better managed.
Hi does anyone kno.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
I just had to reac.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
and again...Hah!.... by maclimber   (Show all posts)
Good Lord no. Amu.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Imagine for a minu.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
I don't know wheth.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Link below is to a.. by brenno   (Show all posts)

Illanmaster: Watching Over.
sandman less than an hour ago.
This hill watches over Illanmaster Island and although its summit is nothing of note its cliffs are fantastic. As described previously this can be part of a coastal walk or for direct accent park ...

Mweelrea Mt via Ben Lugmore
marzka an hour ago.
A very nice walk with amazing views and small bit of scrambling which can be avoided.Dificulty: Medium- ascending via... walk, Len: 13.4km, Climb: 1111m, Area: Ben Lugmore East Top, Mweelrea Mountain

Bencorrbeg - Binn an Choire and Binn Dubh
marzka an hour ago.
Very nice walk with a bit of scrambling.And this GPS track involve that mentioned part of scrambling - but if you want... walk, Len: 10.4km, Climb: 944m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Teermoyle and Been Hill
marzka an hour ago.
Very nice walk with goregous views.Dificulty: Medium- a bit wet terrain, mostly grassy- some small part of walk on th... walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 843m, Area: Keamconneragh, Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Irel

Mangerton via Stoompa and Horses Glen
marzka 2 hours ago.
Lovely walk with stunning views.Dificulty: Medim- wet terrain as crossing the Owgariff river- very steepy descending w... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 673m, Area: Stoompa, Mangerton (Ireland) Stoompa, M

Carrauntoohil via central guy and dawn via oshea-gully WINTER WALK
marzka 2 hours ago.
This is a winter climb, therefore the winter equipment is needed and extra time should be added while planning that r... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 779m, Area: Carrauntoohil, MacGillycuddy's Reeks (Ir

Corraduff Hill: Coastal Hill
sandman 12 hours ago.
Corraduff Hill as seen from the Benwee Loop Walk.

Benwee NE Head: Coastal Hill
sandman 12 hours ago.
It is easy to reach the area i took the photo from just a slight detour off the Benwee Loop Walk F8220244947 it is the next bit that the problem arises. Definitely an Ian Miller summit.

Doonvinalla W Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 12 hours ago.
The Stags of Broad Haven just one of the fantastic photo opportunities from this summit which is easily accessed from the Benwee Loop Walk the easy option from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259.

Geevraun Point: Coastal Hill
sandman a day ago.
Located in an area of stunning coastlines this hill does not disappoint . A fantastic linear coastal walk exists from Beldberg Pier to Porturlin Pier well worth the effort but if you wish to visit...

Doonvinalla E Top: Coastal Hill
sandman a day ago.
Easy access from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259 follow the Benwee Loop walk and branch off where appropriate . The photo shows views across towards Benwee Head in the background .

Exploration of Wicklow Head from the north.
As you will immediately see from the track this was an exploration of what is possible thoroughly exploring various d... walk, Len: 6.6km, Climb: 126m, Area: Brides Hill, Wicklow Coastal Hill (Irelan