<< Prev page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 .. 366 Next page >>
Report on the Moun.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
Link below is from.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
2015-09-22 21:17:07
"Always competing with the landscape for attention." from Aidy Expand pics
Always competing with the landscape for attention. (Expand pics)
Cuilcagh Boardwalk
When I first saw photos of the boardwalk on Cuilcagh, my first thought was "Don't be taken in, this is a photoshopped practical joke." I was horrified to see it was real, as I suppose what most of us enjoy in the mountains is the feeling of wilderness, at least as much wildnerness as you can get on a small, heavily populated island. I thought that when I got round to Cuilcagh, I would approach via Benbeg and avoid the boardwalk. So when my sister asked me go along with her on the boardwalk route, I only very reluctantly agreed as she'd had a "bootcamp" that morning and wanted an easier walk.

I can sort of sympathise with some of the arguments in favour of the boardwalk - we all want to protect delicate environments. And, I don't want to be selfish and deny the pleasure of the hills and mountains to people who might have difficulty accessing them otherwise. But, did the solution really have to be so intrusive? Its still a long walk in on the Legnabrocky Trail to even reach the boardwalk, and would still be beyond a lot of people. Surely a stoney path would have been a possibility, and just as suitable for those able to manage the long walk.

There are benefits no doubt. I saw a lot more people out enjoying the hills that day than I have on most Irish mountains (even if 90% of them were turning at the top of the steps and not taking the extra short walk to the summit!). I also, hypocritically, was guiltily glad of the boardwalk after a long day, when I didn't have to slog through the bog on the way back. But, I'm sure this could have been better managed.
Hi does anyone kno.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
I just had to reac.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
and again...Hah!.... by maclimber   (Show all posts)
Good Lord no. Amu.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Imagine for a minu.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
I don't know wheth.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Link below is to a.. by brenno   (Show all posts)

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 17 hours ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 18 hours ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 18 hours ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy a day ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility a day ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 4 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility a day ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 2 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility a day ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility a day ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 3 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Quad bikers in the Mournes
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
Whilst out in the Mournes on Sunday 2nd Oct, at about 8.30am we were shocked to see a group of half a dozen quad bikers powering up the track from the Banns Road towards Lough Shannagh (below Doan...