<< Prev page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 .. 366 Next page >>
Report on the Moun.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
Link below is from.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
When I first saw p.. by Aidy   (Show all posts)
Hi does anyone kno.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
I just had to reac.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
and again...Hah!.... by maclimber   (Show all posts)
Good Lord no. Amu.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Imagine for a minu.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
2015-09-09 19:34:19
"The Ridge Tamed" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
The Ridge Tamed (Expand pics)
Poor Cuilcagh
I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see what they've done to Cuilcagh. I always thought the rot would stop near the big cities. Where will it end? Beenkeragh Ridge? I had better warn you. The good people of Cavan and Fermanagh apparently LOVE the boardwalk, insofar as we may glean their opinions from reading the local papers. I suspect that supporters of the notion of wilderness here, and elsewhere, will be dubbed "elitist" and wanting to limit access to places of great beauty. A wooden staircase on a mountain is like a Barnum and Bailey freak show. Why not an escalator? And a big slide to get down quickly?
I would promote the construction of ski lifts on a limited number of Irish mountains to enable the elderly (whose ranks I am currently joining) and those who cannot walk (that could be any of us) to get up to the high places. In other words, we should go the whole way to help those who need help and the rest of us can walk. Is Bleck Cra gone forever? He warned of slippery slopes.

Serious Postscript
We have been through all of this before regarding the Mournes and elsewhere and I think the majority view was that while our preferred option is to keep the hills wild, we have to recognise that there is a case to be made for man made structures on very busy hills to soften the human imapact. UK and European experience suggests that paths (particularly stone paths) can integrate well and produce a better environmental outcome. I am afraid to say that the Cuilcagh Staircase looks as though it was photoshopped onto the mountain and consequently it appears intrusive. Yes MV should take a balanced view on manmade structures while robustly supporting the notion of wilderness. In the meantime I am quite serious in suggesting that we ought to have ski lifts on a few mountains to bring up all those who are physically unable to ascend on foot. A few mountains mind you!
Link below is to a.. by brenno   (Show all posts)

Hart Walk
GSheehy a few minutes ago.
{First off, I wasn't with the lads. Just sharing the info.}What?s not to like reading about the trials and tribulation walk, Len: 115.7km, Climb: 3215m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Cloghernagh,

Torc Mountain W Top: Big brother ....
hivisibility a day ago.
Here's a picture of Torc itself from Torc West Top. Approx 600m between the two summits.

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 2 days ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 2 days ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 2 days ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 4 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 5 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 6 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 3 days ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.