<< Prev page 1 .. 9 10 11 12 13 14 .. 366 Next page >>
To correct tamjk's.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Following the rece.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
"Wicklore, I share.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
Wicklore, I beg yo.. by tamjk   (Show all posts)
tamjk, You DID cla.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
2015-09-03 21:07:05
Safest We Have, If Not Totally Safe.
** Who in OSI told you we are not interested in their 1:25 000 mapping? Also why did you call the Devils Ladder a safe route? **

You better calm down a bit and read my messages more carefully ! (I suppose you had a hard week at a real job.)
i never said that anyone in OSI said that MV was not interested in 1:25,000 maps.
In fact, I hardly knew of MV at that time.
Perhaps you misread my comments on OSI being unable to determine a single authority on mountaineering who was prepared to advise on safe routes to summits on those new maps.

I call the Devil's Ladder a safe route since the other Carrauntuohill routes that I've done or observed closely are much more dangerous. Heavenly Gates is vertiginous. Likewise with final stage of Br O'Shea's route, the last part where one has to scramble up a steepish ridge with worrying drops on both sides. Caher and Beenkeeragh also have steep falls on one or both sides and winds can buffet a bit there. Coimín na Péiste has steep falls and awkward rock surmounts in a couple of places.

I know the Ladder demands a bit of grunt but it's paceable given the big boulders you can rest against.
As I already said, the loose stones need clearing and this is a bit of a project. (Funny no one comments on that suggestion.)

The Ladder is not fully safe.
But it's the safest of the routes that I know on our highest mountain and I think it's the one to properly sort out for tourist trails.
Great video of a s.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
5. MountainViews d.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Let’s see what oth.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
I must admit it's .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)

Hart Walk
GSheehy a few minutes ago.
{First off, I wasn't with the lads. Just sharing the info.}What?s not to like reading about the trials and tribulation walk, Len: 115.7km, Climb: 3215m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Cloghernagh,

Torc Mountain W Top: Big brother ....
hivisibility a day ago.
Here's a picture of Torc itself from Torc West Top. Approx 600m between the two summits.

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 2 days ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 2 days ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 2 days ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 4 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 5 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 6 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 3 days ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.