<< Prev page 1 .. 14 15 16 17 18 19 .. 372 Next page >>
Imagine for a minu.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
I don't know wheth.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Link below is to a.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
To correct tamjk's.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Following the rece.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
"Wicklore, I share.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
Wicklore, I beg yo.. by tamjk   (Show all posts)
tamjk, You DID cla.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
tamjk
2015-09-03 21:07:05
Safest We Have, If Not Totally Safe.
** Who in OSI told you we are not interested in their 1:25 000 mapping? Also why did you call the Devils Ladder a safe route? **

You better calm down a bit and read my messages more carefully ! (I suppose you had a hard week at a real job.)
i never said that anyone in OSI said that MV was not interested in 1:25,000 maps.
In fact, I hardly knew of MV at that time.
Perhaps you misread my comments on OSI being unable to determine a single authority on mountaineering who was prepared to advise on safe routes to summits on those new maps.

I call the Devil's Ladder a safe route since the other Carrauntuohill routes that I've done or observed closely are much more dangerous. Heavenly Gates is vertiginous. Likewise with final stage of Br O'Shea's route, the last part where one has to scramble up a steepish ridge with worrying drops on both sides. Caher and Beenkeeragh also have steep falls on one or both sides and winds can buffet a bit there. Coimín na Péiste has steep falls and awkward rock surmounts in a couple of places.

I know the Ladder demands a bit of grunt but it's paceable given the big boulders you can rest against.
As I already said, the loose stones need clearing and this is a bit of a project. (Funny no one comments on that suggestion.)

The Ladder is not fully safe.
But it's the safest of the routes that I know on our highest mountain and I think it's the one to properly sort out for tourist trails.
Great video of a s.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark
simon3 less than an hour ago.

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 2 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 2 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 3 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 3 days ago.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 3 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 3 days ago.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 3 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...

Dunkerron Spine
Msbinireland 3 days ago.
Caution: ONLY consider doing this route in clear weather and after a dry spell. Many sections may be impassable after... run, Len: 29.3km, Climb: 1597m, Area: Mullaghanattin, Dunkerron Mountains (Ire