<< Prev page 1 .. 15 16 17 18 19 20 .. 372 Next page >>
5. MountainViews d.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Let’s see what oth.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
I must admit it's .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
The Devil's Ladder.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
It would be almost.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
You may well adjud.. by tamjk   (Show all posts)
Hi TamThank you fo.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
aidand
2015-09-03 10:08:56
Maps and safety
Most of the technical discussion on maps has gone over my head. Up to 20 years ago the only maps we had for almost all the country were half inch to the mile. Fine for showing where the mountains were, but almost useless for climbing. The 1:50,000 maps were a huge improvement and are still more than adequate for hill walking in Ireland.
When I'm going to a new area I photocopy the area of the map I need, but I also enlarge it by about 50%. A black and white copy is fine. I also make a few copies for my companions. The original map stays safely in the rucksack. Enlarging the map makes it much easier to read the contours, so you have a DIY 1:25,000 map at minimal cost.

I doubt OS maps can be blamed for many accidents on the hills. Call outs to Mountain Rescue are far more likely to arise due to inexperience, wrong clothing, not checking the weather forecast, poor navigation, over estimating the fitness of the group etc.

Reference was made earlier to 'Safe Routes'. In really bad weather there is no such thing as a safe route even on the easier hills.
Morning, Mr Walker.. by tamjk   (Show all posts)
Hi TamI don't know.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect
Aidy 2 hours ago.

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy 5 hours ago.

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 5 days ago.

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 5 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 4 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 5 days ago.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 5 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 4 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 5 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I