<< Prev page 1 .. 25 26 27 28 29 30 .. 369 Next page >>
Ciarraioch, there'.. by patmoran   (Show all posts)
It's a fair cop gu.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
Prithee Peter, who.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
The Etrex30 is a v.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
Beloved Colleagues.. by ciarraioch   (Show all posts)
Hi all. I was hop.. by happymourneview   (Show all posts)
...I thought it wa.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
happymourneview
2014-11-27 03:00:26
Carrauntoohil
I found out about this tragedy this afternoon in a outdoors supply shop in Newry. I was shocked at hearing this news. The most exciting day in my memory banks came last April when for the first time this summit cross came into view. I was literally shaking with excitement at reaching the highest point in Ireland. Almost and quite possibly crying at touching this vast structure. I was thanking God for giving me such a perfect day for my ascent with perfect clear views. Interestingly I am an committed atheist, yet I was quite happy thanking a higher order for my safety on this mighty rocky summit...... I really do hope that this cross is re erected as soon as a safe window of opportunity is possible. A wonderful navigational aid. Also leaves hikers with a firm knowledge that the summit has been reached. I also love cairns and trig points, yet have no tolerance for wind powered generators on mountains!............. (just my personal viewpoint of course) I am fine with them out at sea though, or wave powered generation (there must be an alternative to spoiling our precious countryside and wilderness). However as for this amazing steel cross on Carrauntoohil, it is in my mind a national treasure worthy of re erection / restoration.

Slainte
Hi
There is.. by wooly   (Show all posts)
Many of you will b.. by Onzy   (Show all posts)

Keeper Hill from Silvermines (Knockanroe Carpark)
caseyc481 7 hours ago.
Wanted to climb Keeper Hill from the Silvermines side. Parked at Knockanroe carpark, walking downhill on fire road unt... walk, Len: 14.9km, Climb: 763m, Area: Keeper Hill, Shannon (Ireland) Keeper H

Keeper Hill from Silvermines (Knockanroe Carpark)
caseyc481 23 hours ago.
Wanted to climb Keeper Hill from the Silvermines side. Parked at Knockanroe carpark, walking downhill on fire road unt... walk, Len: 7.5km, Climb: 233m, Area: Keeper Hill, Shannon (Ireland) Keeper Hi

MountainViews Gathering 2017
simon3 a day ago.
The event on Feb 17, 2017 had Peter Walker as MC with two main speakers.Gareth McCormack spoke about the vision and technicalities of modern landscape photography.Paul Clements discussed the Wild ...

Tick/Lyme Disease Awareness
Geo a day ago.
Don't be a tick - Check out this article and be mindful of yourselves out there http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lyme-disease-a-tiny-tick-can-pack-a-huge-punch-1.2964241I hav...

Meenavally: A pleasant walk to theTower
BigFly 2 days ago.
Lovely pleasant walk

Two Rock Mountain: Red Grouse near the summit.
BarnaneGoat a week ago.
I climbed here a few days ago from the east along the Dublin Mountains Way. The summit was shrouded in mist and we went astray at one point. I later discovered this was the result of a way marker ...

Sgurr a'Choire Riabhaich: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small
melohara 2 weeks ago.
If the Allt a' Choire Charnaig is in spate there is a small footbridge, wires and planks, a little upstream

Sgurr Thuilm: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small footbridge u
melohara 2 weeks ago.

Ballysitteragh Stroll
Bunsen7 2 days ago.
A short stroll from the Conor Pass carpark. My plans for greater things fell victim to the inclement weather.Simply st... walk, Len: 7.0km, Climb: 340m, Area: An Bhinn Dubh, Brandon Group (Ireland) A

Sgurr nan Coireachan: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small foot
melohara 2 weeks ago.

The Big Gun: A Big View
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
A view of the Big Gun, Cnoc na Péiste and the southern ridge of the Reeks taken after a light fall of snow in late January 2017

Tievebaun: Crash of 42-31420 in 1943
dp_burke 2 weeks ago.
Just a quick link to the story of 42-31420's crash on Tievebaun as I found it.http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/42-31420.htmIf you do go up top the small bit of wreckage that is left, please don't r...