<< Prev page 1 .. 32 33 34 35 36 37 .. 373 Next page >>
Well done, Simon. .. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
Well done Simon, t.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
I am glad to annou.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
The direct approac.. by ahendroff   (Show all posts)
Fergalh, I am sure.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Hi a few short yea.. by Fergalh   (Show all posts)
Trailtrekker
2014-10-12 22:11:56
"" from Trailtrekker Expand pics
(Expand pics)
Why?
It's as simple as that, the question that I was asking myself at different times today. For today was one of those days that at least some of you will know of. That day where you go out to "bag" multiple binnions. Why? Because they are on a list, typically your local 100, or your revamped local 100. Now I have the cert from earlier this year to say that I have completed my local 100, but I know myself that since the additions were made earlier this year there is something inside me that wants to go out and make that list look complete again on my MV profile!

So today was one of those days that assigned to tick off seven of those small summits in the counties of Cavan and Monaghan. If we cod ourselves into thinking that this is anything other than bagging then stats reveal the truth and I love stats! 8 hours out of my day, driving 160 miles, only just over 2 of these hours spent walking less than 9km with a total height gain of less than 300 meters. I could get those kind of leisurely walking stats in one easy walk in any of my nearby ranges, without anywhere near the same driving miles or time out of my day.

So what did I encounter today? Mass traffic, match traffic, a slurry covered farm track, conifer ridden hills, indiscriminate summits, fields filled with cattle, water tank summits, churchyards, fence crossings, working quarries, windfarms and a path overgrown with gorse and brambles. Now don't get me wrong, it was not all bad (and neither were all of them). There was one impressive neolithic tomb, a couple of nice little walks, standing stones and some good views (although most of these hills fail in view category).

Will I do it again? Of course, I still have seven more of these north midlands tops to tick off my list. And rather than using the photo of the fine standing stones on Shantemon or the megalithic tomb on Mullyash to go along with this post. I have been inspired by paddyhillsbagger (going by his comments on many of the seven I have visited today, one who has done the same) and his recent post on Knockanes and will simply say to anyone who questions my sanity...... Feck Off!
About two years ag.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
I cannot say for c.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
We can sometimes g.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)

Doonvinalla E Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 17 hours ago.
Easy access from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259 follow the Benwee Loop walk and branch off where appropriate . The photo shows views across towards Benwee Head in the background .

Exploration of Wicklow Head from the north.
As you will immediately see from the track this was an exploration of what is possible thoroughly exploring various d... walk, Len: 6.6km, Climb: 126m, Area: Brides Hill, Wicklow Coastal Hill (Irelan

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 17 hours ago.
Looking across to Doonvinalla N Top from E Top i decided it was above my pay grade to attempt the summit climb today . But to the right of the photo a route to the top seemingly exists so another ...

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 17 hours ago.
The look out post 3 years after my first visit.

Pic du Canigou
David-Guenot 4 days ago.
Ascending Catalogna's sacred mountain from the hamlet of Los Masos de Vallmanya, on well-marked trails, with two breaks walk, Len: 24.8km, Climb: 1853m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Geevraun Point: Coastal Hill
sandman 17 hours ago.
Located in an area of stunning coastlines this hill does not disappoint . A fantastic linear coastal walk exists from Beldberg Pier to Porturlin Pier well worth the effort but if yo wish to visit ...

Ramble on Ireland's Eye
wicklore 5 days ago.
A short walk on Ireland's Eye in September 2015. Original plan to visit earlier in the summer was thwarted by a huge f... walk, Len: 2.6km, Climb: 80m, Area: Ireland's Eye, Dublin Islands (Ireland) I

Horse Island: Mayo Island
sandman 17 hours ago.
View of Horse Island from Geevraun Point.

Pic de Cagire Loop
David-Guenot 6 days ago.
A great loop walk in one of my favourite areas in the Pyrenees, which should have hardly taken more than 4h30 hadn't I m walk, Len: 11.8km, Climb: 892m, Area: France, Occitanie ()

Raheen: Coastal Hill
sandman 18 hours ago.
The photo shows the Megalithic Tomb adjacent to the summit of this small hill which is an easy accent from the old turf cutting track located at G0018340427.

Benbeg to Cuilcagh
dmcdevitt 6 days ago.
GPS was not accurate during the walk. learn't a lesson not to use your phone app to track your walk but overall it is ac walk, Len: 8.7km, Climb: 447m, Area: Benbeg, Breifne (Ireland) Benbeg

Lackan Hill: Coastal Hill
sandman 18 hours ago.
Arriving close to the location i came across two farmers moving cattle who i asked about Lackan Hill they looked bemused replying you will not find any hills in here so i quickly changed to standi...