<< Prev page 1 .. 27 28 29 30 31 32 .. 369 Next page >>
May I add my heart.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Congrats and hats .. by ahendroff   (Show all posts)
Well done, Simon. .. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
Well done Simon, t.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
I am glad to annou.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
The direct approac.. by ahendroff   (Show all posts)
Fergalh, I am sure.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Hi a few short yea.. by Fergalh   (Show all posts)
Trailtrekker
2014-10-12 22:11:56
"" from Trailtrekker Expand pics
(Expand pics)
Why?
It's as simple as that, the question that I was asking myself at different times today. For today was one of those days that at least some of you will know of. That day where you go out to "bag" multiple binnions. Why? Because they are on a list, typically your local 100, or your revamped local 100. Now I have the cert from earlier this year to say that I have completed my local 100, but I know myself that since the additions were made earlier this year there is something inside me that wants to go out and make that list look complete again on my MV profile!

So today was one of those days that assigned to tick off seven of those small summits in the counties of Cavan and Monaghan. If we cod ourselves into thinking that this is anything other than bagging then stats reveal the truth and I love stats! 8 hours out of my day, driving 160 miles, only just over 2 of these hours spent walking less than 9km with a total height gain of less than 300 meters. I could get those kind of leisurely walking stats in one easy walk in any of my nearby ranges, without anywhere near the same driving miles or time out of my day.

So what did I encounter today? Mass traffic, match traffic, a slurry covered farm track, conifer ridden hills, indiscriminate summits, fields filled with cattle, water tank summits, churchyards, fence crossings, working quarries, windfarms and a path overgrown with gorse and brambles. Now don't get me wrong, it was not all bad (and neither were all of them). There was one impressive neolithic tomb, a couple of nice little walks, standing stones and some good views (although most of these hills fail in view category).

Will I do it again? Of course, I still have seven more of these north midlands tops to tick off my list. And rather than using the photo of the fine standing stones on Shantemon or the megalithic tomb on Mullyash to go along with this post. I have been inspired by paddyhillsbagger (going by his comments on many of the seven I have visited today, one who has done the same) and his recent post on Knockanes and will simply say to anyone who questions my sanity...... Feck Off!
About two years ag.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)

Keeper Hill from Silvermines (Knockanroe Carpark)
caseyc481 5 hours ago.
Wanted to climb Keeper Hill from the Silvermines side. Parked at Knockanroe carpark, walking downhill on fire road unt... walk, Len: 14.9km, Climb: 763m, Area: Keeper Hill, Shannon (Ireland) Keeper H

Keeper Hill from Silvermines (Knockanroe Carpark)
caseyc481 21 hours ago.
Wanted to climb Keeper Hill from the Silvermines side. Parked at Knockanroe carpark, walking downhill on fire road unt... walk, Len: 7.5km, Climb: 233m, Area: Keeper Hill, Shannon (Ireland) Keeper Hi

MountainViews Gathering 2017
simon3 a day ago.
The event on Feb 17, 2017 had Peter Walker as MC with two main speakers.Gareth McCormack spoke about the vision and technicalities of modern landscape photography.Paul Clements discussed the Wild ...

Tick/Lyme Disease Awareness
Geo a day ago.
Don't be a tick - Check out this article and be mindful of yourselves out there http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lyme-disease-a-tiny-tick-can-pack-a-huge-punch-1.2964241I hav...

Meenavally: A pleasant walk to theTower
BigFly 2 days ago.
Lovely pleasant walk

Two Rock Mountain: Red Grouse near the summit.
BarnaneGoat a week ago.
I climbed here a few days ago from the east along the Dublin Mountains Way. The summit was shrouded in mist and we went astray at one point. I later discovered this was the result of a way marker ...

Sgurr a'Choire Riabhaich: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small
melohara 2 weeks ago.
If the Allt a' Choire Charnaig is in spate there is a small footbridge, wires and planks, a little upstream

Sgurr Thuilm: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small footbridge u
melohara 2 weeks ago.

Ballysitteragh Stroll
Bunsen7 2 days ago.
A short stroll from the Conor Pass carpark. My plans for greater things fell victim to the inclement weather.Simply st... walk, Len: 7.0km, Climb: 340m, Area: An Bhinn Dubh, Brandon Group (Ireland) A

Sgurr nan Coireachan: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small foot
melohara 2 weeks ago.

The Big Gun: A Big View
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
A view of the Big Gun, Cnoc na Péiste and the southern ridge of the Reeks taken after a light fall of snow in late January 2017

Tievebaun: Crash of 42-31420 in 1943
dp_burke 2 weeks ago.
Just a quick link to the story of 42-31420's crash on Tievebaun as I found it.http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/42-31420.htmIf you do go up top the small bit of wreckage that is left, please don't r...