<< Prev page 1 .. 30 31 32 33 34 35 .. 372 Next page >>
As of recently we .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
May I add my heart.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Congrats and hats .. by ahendroff   (Show all posts)
Well done, Simon. .. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
Well done Simon, t.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
I am glad to annou.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
The direct approac.. by ahendroff   (Show all posts)
Fergalh, I am sure.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Hi a few short yea.. by Fergalh   (Show all posts)
Trailtrekker
2014-10-12 22:11:56
"" from Trailtrekker Expand pics
(Expand pics)
Why?
It's as simple as that, the question that I was asking myself at different times today. For today was one of those days that at least some of you will know of. That day where you go out to "bag" multiple binnions. Why? Because they are on a list, typically your local 100, or your revamped local 100. Now I have the cert from earlier this year to say that I have completed my local 100, but I know myself that since the additions were made earlier this year there is something inside me that wants to go out and make that list look complete again on my MV profile!

So today was one of those days that assigned to tick off seven of those small summits in the counties of Cavan and Monaghan. If we cod ourselves into thinking that this is anything other than bagging then stats reveal the truth and I love stats! 8 hours out of my day, driving 160 miles, only just over 2 of these hours spent walking less than 9km with a total height gain of less than 300 meters. I could get those kind of leisurely walking stats in one easy walk in any of my nearby ranges, without anywhere near the same driving miles or time out of my day.

So what did I encounter today? Mass traffic, match traffic, a slurry covered farm track, conifer ridden hills, indiscriminate summits, fields filled with cattle, water tank summits, churchyards, fence crossings, working quarries, windfarms and a path overgrown with gorse and brambles. Now don't get me wrong, it was not all bad (and neither were all of them). There was one impressive neolithic tomb, a couple of nice little walks, standing stones and some good views (although most of these hills fail in view category).

Will I do it again? Of course, I still have seven more of these north midlands tops to tick off my list. And rather than using the photo of the fine standing stones on Shantemon or the megalithic tomb on Mullyash to go along with this post. I have been inspired by paddyhillsbagger (going by his comments on many of the seven I have visited today, one who has done the same) and his recent post on Knockanes and will simply say to anyone who questions my sanity...... Feck Off!

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 6 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect
Aidy a day ago.

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy a day ago.

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 6 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 6 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 6 days ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 6 days ago.

Moylemore: Lots of renovated houses.
magicstep 2 weeks ago.
Owey is busy during summer weekends.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 6 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 6 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 6 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...