<< Prev page 1 .. 40 41 42 43 44 45 .. 366 Next page >>
I wonder if some o.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
Ah thomas-g. The b.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
Maybe I missed it,.. by thomas_g   (Show all posts)
1)5.30-6pm: Regist.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
I know some people.. by Barry   (Show all posts)
Chat of a Scavvy W.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
Hills and Dating. .. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
A matter of no con.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
Just heard about t.. by paddyhillsbagger   (Show all posts)
2014-04-29 23:09:33
"http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10278148/" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10278148/ (Expand pics)
The Medium is the Message
I missed the first part of the Prime Time piece on "walker rights" but found the whole thing on RTE Player where it will remain for the next three weeks. I'm afraid that it behoves us all to see this program because there is a real possibility that the debate in itself will precipitate polarisation. By which I mean that farmers seeing Keep Ireland Open representatives demanding the right to pass over their farms is likely to provoke a defensive reaction. I am well aware that there are already hotspots where access is restricted or denied but I have always found my way around these impediments and I believe that a modicum of common sense will solve most problems. If my health allows me I intend to walk all the 400 plus Arderins, and I am confident that I will not be thwarted. My one fear is that I might upset some of our Northern Ireland brethern who tend to take boundaries rather seriously. These are folks I do not want to mess with - on either side of the fence. (Let me hasten to add, lest I be accused of racism, that the good, the bad and the ugly are evenly distributed throughout our island and throughout the world. I simply wish to make the point that I, as a southerner, do not intend to "take on" anyone that might block my way in Northern Ireland, were that ever to occur. In fact, I have never had any bother "north of the border" at all.)
"The medium is the message" is a phrase coined by Marshall McLuhan meaning that the form of a medium embeds itself in the message, creating a symbiotic relationship by which the medium influences how the message is perceived."(Wiki)
In the context of the access debate, the "medium" unfortunately is the seemingly angry Keep Ireland Open man...(not just one KIO man...ALL of them!) It is not what he says that constitutes the message: it is his anger, his self righteousness, his dismissal of the farming community. The message he embodies will galvanise the generally benign and welcoming farming community who will see all walkers as a potential threat to the soil they possess, and for which many tears have been shed. Characterising farmers as greedy is a poor contribution to the debate. While I share many of the aims and objectives of KIO I am not comfortable with their polarising approach.

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy 5 hours ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 14 hours ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 2 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 a day ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Stumpa Dúloigh SE Top: Fine views to the East...
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
The view to Knocknabreeda, Crossderry and Mothillín as seen from the aooroach to Stúmpa Dúloigh SE Top. Torc in the centre with Mangerton rising over to the right.

Knocknabreeda: View of Carrauntoohil from the summit.
hivisibility 5 hours ago.
Carrauntoohil from Knocknabreeda summit.

Quad bikers in the Mournes
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
Whilst out in the Mournes on Sunday 2nd Oct, at about 8.30am we were shocked to see a group of half a dozen quad bikers powering up the track from the Banns Road towards Lough Shannagh (below Doan...

Slieve Foye
Onzy 6 days ago.
Sunday route over Slieve Foye and along the ridge for a bit... walk, Len: 9.9km, Climb: 439m, Area: Slieve Foye, Cooley/Gullion (Ireland) Slie...