<< Prev page 1 .. 47 48 49 50 51 52 .. 372 Next page >>
Just for fear that.. by Trailtrekker   (Show all posts)
At last. Proper ba.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
On Good Friday 18/.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Trailtrekker good .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
...trailtrekker, c.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Thanks for the fee.. by Trailtrekker   (Show all posts)
Trailtrekker...mus.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
That's some task t.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
It was Kieron Grib.. by Trailtrekker   (Show all posts)
CaptainVertigo
2014-04-12 14:32:52
"Taking the Pass!" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
Taking the Pass! (Expand pics)
One Man's Pass
One Man's Pass is another man's obstacle. Said with a soft Donegal accent it might be "One Man's Pass is another's urination." I have just looked at Malcolm Haire's YouTube Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTSTfGdl890 as recommended by Peter Walker. The horror! I have been saving up Slieve League for a pet day to savour the whole experience at a gentle pace. Based on the YouTube movie I'll be getting there some other way. I think you better have a look at this Haire classic.
For many years I had believed the soothing words of Robin Wallace of CelticVideo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mB-Wm73bOM) : "Any book or website you read describing the walk along Slieve League will include a warning about the One Man's Pass. Before setting out on this walk I was seriously worried for my safety knowing that, to get to the summit, I would have to cross this Pass. As I reached it I stopped to study it for a while. It was more than a metre wide with a level path on top. The drops on either side -although they are steep - they're not vertical so off I went. The wind was blowing quire strongly but I never really felt in any danger of falling, so I suppose that the Legend of the One man's Pass was one of those bits of excitement added to the story. So when a hillwalker returns home after a day spent on Slieve League, they can tell how they bravely crossed the One Man's Pass and almost didn't make it"
I wonder which version is true? Watch both YouTube videos and make up your own mind.
Meanwhile our own Short Summary says: "The path from the upper car park leads along the top of the cliffs to Cnoc Ramhar. On the next section of the route there is a sharp 100m long rock arête at G5565 77553. Some writers have called this arete the One Man's Path. The arête can be climbed but should be treated with caution in wind or wet conditions. A rope would be advisable for the inexperienced as there is 450m drop on the left. Alternatively there is a by-pass along a path to the right. The final section of the route leads via a large plateau and then to a narrow section (known as One Man's Pass) to the summit of Slieve League."
Please tell me: what should I do with the rope? Buy those little mountain nails you see on TV and drive them into the gaps in the rock, and tie the rope to them? What?

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect
Aidy 2 hours ago.

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy 5 hours ago.

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 5 days ago.

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 5 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 4 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 5 days ago.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 5 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 4 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 5 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I