<< Prev page 1 .. 44 45 46 47 48 49 .. 366 Next page >>
SOUTHERN DUNKERRON.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
This is awful, ter.. by Trailtrekker   (Show all posts)
Ah Eoin, 1st April.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Eoin R.... and the.. by Onzy   (Show all posts)
I can't believe th.. by Eoin R   (Show all posts)
Go for it Capters .. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
2014-03-31 20:40:36
As a boy, on November afternoons, when I tired of watching raindrops sliding into one another on the school window, I used to calculate what age I would be on the 1st of January 2000. The answer was 40, a sum so large as to be meaningless. Given that a November day at school was essentially infinite, how could I comprehend the many thousands of such days that would be required to bring me to 40?
Of course, the earth began to turn a little faster with each passing year, until, like the untethered astronaut, I floated beyond the known universe, and was thrown up on the strange shores of the Third Millennium, a place where time is hurtling towards a dead stop.
Sometime in 2005 I realised that a Svengali had published "the List" and I took my vows (but not without a little resistance -See... http://mountainviews.ie/motleyviews/general/comment/109/ .) Being neither a celibate nor an immaculate conception I had commitments to both forebears and afterbears: this prevented me from walking as often as I would have liked. A couple of years ago, my youngest son asked me how many mountains were there on The List. Then he asked me how many I generally climbed per year. He frowned, but not for long because he is good at sums, and said: "But Daddy, you'll be dead". By which he meant that I was unlikely to live to see the last mountain on the List.
So let me spell this out as plainly as I can. I have to fight to get out on the hills occasionally. Until I fell among you lot it had never occurred to me that there might be a reason to get ALL the high hills of Ireland under my hat. But I'm one of you now. Bitten by vampires. And my destiny is to struggle on as a Walking Undead. Please don't tell me that I am breaching your Code of Honour because I try to pack as many hits as possible into the short time I have left. I have no other option. That is why I am wedded to the notion that the best day out is the one where I have cunningly calculated the maximum number of hills possible in the time allowable and given the frailty of my finite carcass.
(May I add that I greatly appreciate the kind words of Simon3, Conor74, Geo, Aidy and Bleck Cra, the latter being the very first man I would call upon if manure needed urgent stirring)
PS simoburn has just logged a stunning track (2454) that will raise new levels of concern that the roses are not being smelled: Length:37.9km, Time: 10h31m, Ascent: 2565m, Descent: 2436m
Places: Shanlieve, Eagle Mountain, Slievemoughanmore, Pigeon Rock Mountain, Cock Mountain, Slievenamiskan, Butter Mountain, Ott Mountain, Slieve Loughshannagh, Doan, Ben Crom, Slieve Binnian North Tor, Slieve Binnian North Top, Slieve Binnian, Slieve Binnian East Top, Wee Binnian. Please tell me that he's twenty.
"Faux" if you like.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
Its an old argumen.. by Aidy   (Show all posts)
If I might be so b.. by Geo   (Show all posts)

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 14 hours ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 15 hours ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 16 hours ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy a day ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility a day ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 3 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility a day ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy a day ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility a day ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility a day ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 2 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Quad bikers in the Mournes
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
Whilst out in the Mournes on Sunday 2nd Oct, at about 8.30am we were shocked to see a group of half a dozen quad bikers powering up the track from the Banns Road towards Lough Shannagh (below Doan...