<< Prev page 1 .. 53 54 55 56 57 58 .. 366 Next page >>
Very windy, very d.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
[ Sorry, all sampl.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
I have to agree wi.. by Onzy   (Show all posts)
What I use myself .. by hivisibility   (Show all posts)
The trouble with c.. by aidand   (Show all posts)
Thanks for the adv.. by Dessie1   (Show all posts)
Thank you for your.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
Harry Goodman
2013-12-17 19:24:52
Halfway round.......follow up comment
The Mweelrea Horseshoe, given the right conditions, is a memorable day out on the hills. However might I add a word of caution to Dessie1. This HS is a strenuous walk of some 15km, involves some 1000m of ascent and, in the absence of good visability, requires a need for accurate route finding. This is especially so on the descent from Ben Bury and the crossing of the various tops of Ben Lugmore. Finally this is not a mountain to be caught out on in the dark and, given the shortness of the day at this time of year, is a 7+ hour walk advisable ? I suggest it is not.
Getting back to Dessie1's question as to favourite HS walks I would also commend the Coomloughra HS in Kerry and the Glencoaghan HS in the Twelve Bens as worthy of inclusion in a top 5. However in continuing with my cautionary comments on Mweelrea these should also be applied to Coomloughra and Glencoaghan with the latter requiring 1500m of ascent and some 8 to 9 hours to complete over a far from straightforward route. I have never done any of these three horseshoe walks in winter and am drawing on experience from spring/summer/ autumn crossings.
I would rate the C.. by conormcbandon   (Show all posts)
David, I own a Gar.. by Dessie1   (Show all posts)

Hart Walk
GSheehy 9 hours ago.
{First off, I wasn't with the lads. Just sharing the info.}What?s not to like reading about the trials and tribulation walk, Len: 115.7km, Climb: 3215m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Cloghernagh,

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Torc Mountain W Top: Big brother ....
hivisibility 2 days ago.
Here's a picture of Torc itself from Torc West Top. Approx 600m between the two summits.

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 4 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 5 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 4 days ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 6 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...